Voom Box Version V00.05.08. Bugs/Problems/Feature Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston We Have A Problem : I have noticed that the sound control is sometimes off. I have a Harmon Kardon DPR 1001 reciever hooked up to the Voom Sat reciever by coax connection. The sound do not always syn in all speakers...What I mean is if you are listening to a Voom commerical the 5.1 sounds great but while watching movies or reg ota tv in Hd the sound has to ajusted up sometimes to hear what they are saying and all speakers do not always have sound. I do not have a problem with the D* reciever Samsung 160 everything is syn and ok.... Has anyone noticed this ???

That is one reason I was concerned about CC on HD and SD channels (CC = Closed Caption). At least I could read what is being said instead of always upping the volume.

Has anyone noticed the sound quality?

pdqbobe said:
Houston We Have A Problem : I have noticed that the sound control is sometimes off. I have a Harmon Kardon DPR 1001 reciever hooked up to the Voom Sat reciever by coax connection. The sound do not always syn in all speakers...What I mean is if you are listening to a Voom commerical the 5.1 sounds great but while watching movies or reg ota tv in Hd the sound has to ajusted up sometimes to hear what they are saying and all speakers do not always have sound. I do not have a problem with the D* reciever Samsung 160 everything is syn and ok.... Has anyone noticed this ???

That is one reason I was concerned about CC on HD and SD channels (CC = Closed Caption). At least I could read what is being said instead of always upping the volume.

Has anyone noticed the sound quality?

The digital sound I have noticed it changes from channel to channel but once you have it on one channel, there should not be changes in volume. DD5.1 is on for all programming. It is in the 21 exclusives but on other channels, you might not get DD5.1. Maybe if you can tell us the channel and the specific program you were watching, I can catch it later and see if there is variation in the digital sound. The CC on SD might not be working. I have not gotten a satisfactory answer on this yet.

Sean : Thanks for your responce. I guess that I meant changing from channel to channel. I forgot which ones I noticed. I will check again tonight and report back.

Houston I have a Problem : Sean I checked the channels that I was losing sound in last night. It was Ota HD with Jay Leno and it seem to have all the sound coming from the center channel. I then watched cin 101 Voom Hd channel with some of the same problem. So I when into the setup menu and changed digtal audio to pcm. Everything seemed to be better and I could listen in 7.1 with the Harmon Kardon Dpr 1001 ....There was not any sound drop and I had sound from all speakers even Jay Leno CBS ota. Im not sure what others have experienced but it worked for me. I also had a popping sound when it was hookup to the D* reciever when I would change channels from sd to Hd ....so when I also switched the audio from DDigtial to PCM the popping never happened....That being said I guess I will leave it in the PCM so the sound will be more balanced for me. YMMV......Im happy now....HD=Voom :cool:

Also had CC in sd channels on the D* but still no CC on V* :rolleyes:

Red Dish Symbol

Has anyone else had the red dish symbol when turning on their box recently? For the first time since my install in mid feb., the last few days I have had a red dish symbol show up when turning on box-once at night and once earlier today. The first time I had to unplug receiver and today all I had to do was hold down power button for 5 sec.-Wondering, my box or a common bug meant to be fixed by new forthcoming sw push.

eschu97611 said:
Has anyone else had the red dish symbol when turning on their box recently? For the first time since my install in mid feb., the last few days I have had a red dish symbol show up when turning on box-once at night and once earlier today. The first time I had to unplug receiver and today all I had to do was hold down power button for 5 sec.-Wondering, my box or a common bug meant to be fixed by new forthcoming sw push.

Do you mean on in front of the receive by the power button (instead of being green is red? If so, it has happened to me also but not very frequently. More with the new boxes than the old ones...

Sean Mota said:
Do you mean on in front of the receive by the power button (instead of being green is red? If so, it has happened to me also but not very frequently. More with the new boxes than the old ones...

Yes, the little sat. dish symbol on frony of box-seems to be saying no signal, but when I reset, the dish symbol turns green and picture comes back(hate unplugging my box-hard to get to!!!)

eschu97611 said:
Yes, the little sat. dish symbol on frony of box-seems to be saying no signal, but when I reset, the dish symbol turns green and picture comes back(hate unplugging my box-hard to get to!!!)

I ended up putting a extension cord with on on/off switch on it so I would not have to pull TV out to reboot reciever. I just leave switch next to reciever.

pmalve said:
I ended up putting a extension cord with on on/off switch on it so I would not have to pull TV out to reboot reciever. I just leave switch next to reciever.

That's a good idea-think I may try that too.

Use a surge protector with an on off switch. Save the box from surges and you get a switch!

Not sure if this is a bug or not...

Only subscribe to the basic pack. I do not subscribe to any of the movie channels. If I try tuning to them I get the message telling me to call VOOM to upgrade.

However if for example I press in 160 on the remote, for some reason it pulls up channel 201 HBO and I am able to watch HBO, no message about needing to subscribe.

Is this a bug or am I just lucky?

I subscribe to all the Movie channels on DISH, so please don't think I am trying to steal HBO. :)

Does anyone know where I can directly send feature requests to Voom where it might matter?

Vaggeto said:
Does anyone know where I can directly send feature requests to Voom where it might matter?

The best person to ask/send is Wilt. But I do not think that any of the feature request that we have posted so far are on top of the list. Wilt has stated that it makes more sense to have a more stable stb before starting adding features.

I think the big question is how much memory these stb have and if they are capable of having more features.

If they aren't then I lose about 80% faith in Voom. How could they release a new product that is worse then 6+ year old STBs on other providers? I almost feel like a beta tester with the features that this offers, and I fully understand why they haven't charged the originals for programming yet. I might have expected this if they were rushed to open their doors because of the satellite space, but not 5 months after they opened for it to not even be stable yet.
The worst part is I feel like a Voom critic when I Really don't want to be.

Vaggeto said:
How could they release a new product that is worse then 6+ year old STBs on other providers?
Here are some interesting quotes from another forum:

I have had (my STB) since November. From day one, it has had problems. They keep saying they are aware of them and there will 'soon' be software downloads to fix them.

At my most recent conversation (with a CSR), I was told that not all units have these problems, but that they are not authorized to make replacements because "they can't guarantee a replacement would work either". I was actually 'fortunate' enough to get a replacement a month ago. I am not really fortunate - the new one is worse than the first one.
Here are the biggest problems I have experienced:

1) Sound goes away - I need to do a reset to get it back.

2) Picture goes black (still get banners, info screens etc, just no picutre) - reset brings it back

3) OTA channels disappear from the list - need to reset ... to get it back
6) When on an OTA channel, I often cannot returm to Sat channels without it freezing as in #2 above. The new unit seems less prone to this problem than was my original, but it still happens at least once per day.

7) Last channel (Back button) function does not work if currently on an OTA channel.

Does some of this sound familiar? Guess what? They are talking about Dish 811 STB :yes

Ilya said:
Here are some interesting quotes from another forum:

I have had (my STB) since November. From day one, it has had problems. They keep saying they are aware of them and there will 'soon' be software downloads to fix them.

At my most recent conversation (with a CSR), I was told that not all units have these problems, but that they are not authorized to make replacements because "they can't guarantee a replacement would work either". I was actually 'fortunate' enough to get a replacement a month ago. I am not really fortunate - the new one is worse than the first one.
Here are the biggest problems I have experienced:

1) Sound goes away - I need to do a reset to get it back.

2) Picture goes black (still get banners, info screens etc, just no picutre) - reset brings it back

3) OTA channels disappear from the list - need to reset ... to get it back
6) When on an OTA channel, I often cannot returm to Sat channels without it freezing as in #2 above. The new unit seems less prone to this problem than was my original, but it still happens at least once per day.

7) Last channel (Back button) function does not work if currently on an OTA channel.

Does some of this sound familiar? Guess what? They are talking about Dish 811 STB :yes

I've got a new box, and I can tell you that it is very buggy too, and #2 on your list happens all the time with mine.

I got the same problem with my Receiver in Bravo HD being on Starz HD. And Discovery or another channel being where the Premium movies channels are. But what is strange is that The Receiver in the front living room was getting Starz HD and the channels are pretty much where they should be. So I swapped the receviers out and I am still getting Bravo HD on Starz with the HDTV.

STB Issues

I guess I've been pretty lucky, I'm not having most of the problem other people are posting. The deal with the box always going back to the top channel, instead of the channel you're on bugs the hell out of me, but hopefully that will be fixed in the next software version. The box locked up one time, when the installer was here, but hasn't since.

Sometimes, in the middle of watching something, the menu comes up and then goes away, even though I haven't touched the remote. It's a little annoying but hasn't bugged me too bad yet.

The channel changes seem rediculously slow. And sometimes it will tell me I need to upgrade my service, but then a second or two later the channel will show up.

Those are basically the major complaints I have, so I think I'm doing OK. I'm never going back to cable, that's for sure!

Any word on when the new software will be available, or what the version will be? Will there be a way to know that the STB received new software, or will we just have to look at the settings? Speaking of which, can someone remind me real quick how to tell the software version? 5.08 is the current one, right?

Thanks again to everyone in this forum, especially Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)