Voom vs. Direct sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
a few of you have reminded me why i dont bother to come to these threads for the most part. You are a bunch of whiners , SHUT UP ALREADY. this is supposed to be about information and helping people, problems arise with every sat service and sure we all want to feel our service is the best but man stop the bashing and just help each other out. Stop criticizing so much

Stop criticizing so much[/QUOTE said:
I don't think it is bashing or criticizing the service to discuss programming or PQ. I don't think it should be self limited and I don't think INSYNC is out-of-line with his comments that are shared by others. VOOM could address these issues in many ways. One is disclosing more about current bandwidth alloted and what the difference will be with MPEG4 or WM9.

It is VOOM who is talking touts "Crisp ...mirror like pictures" They set the standard and have set themselves up as the super HD station of choice because of "PQ". What is wrong with holding them to their own standard? I personally don't have a problem with programming. I will watch almost anything as long as it is in HD. But I want the PQ I was used to with just my OTA STB. I should not expect to pay more for a PQ that is less than I was getting on the limited OTA channels.

stevesmall, I gotta disagree with you. If people kept quiet about problems and didn't complain, no one would ever know they existed and they would never get fixed. Internet forums are a great thing. Now people can compare experiences immediately and use the info to determine if a problem is just them, or if it's happening to many other people.

Also, when it comes to dealing with large corporations, sometimes complaints go a lot farther than "constructive criticism" to fix problems. Constructive criticism tends to give them the attitude of "well, there's this feature they would like to see so let's work on it and see when we can put it out". Complaints on the other hand (if done in a civilized manner) can lead to the attitude "there's a problem that if we don't fix right now is going to lose us customers and cost us money". Which do you think is more effective?

stevesmall said:
a few of you have reminded me why i dont bother to come to these threads for the most part. You are a bunch of whiners , SHUT UP ALREADY. this is supposed to be about information and helping people, problems arise with every sat service and sure we all want to feel our service is the best but man stop the bashing and just help each other out. Stop criticizing so much

Now that we have reminded you, don't bother us! We all pay for Voom and therefore we have a right to bitch- if Voom doesn't get it right. And right now, there is a lot to bitch about!

InSync said:
I hereby self appoint (NO better yet, ANNOINT) myself as the all-knowing authority on picture quality and equipment. Now I have to go "kill myself" because it can't get any better than this.
where do we send the flowers too?

Just make a donation in his name to the National Megalomania Fund. It's tax-deductable.

let me clear this up , i meant the bashing of the other people in this forum, im all for ripping an inferior product and criticizing where due but the pissing match between people is what im talking about, as the insults fly i am sure no one even bothers (including the execs from all the DBS providers) paying attention to the real issue at hand, that is PQ, service issues and such,

stevesmall said:
let me clear this up , i meant the bashing of the other people in this forum, im all for ripping an inferior product and criticizing where due but the pissing match between people is what im talking about, as the insults fly i am sure no one even bothers (including the execs from all the DBS providers) paying attention to the real issue at hand, that is PQ, service issues and such,

I agree. Crappy PQ is much more pun to dump on. Man, I'm tired.

Seawaves said:
Now that we have reminded you, don't bother us! We all pay for Voom and therefore we have a right to bitch- if Voom doesn't get it right. And right now, there is a lot to bitch about!

Posting a problem on this board and bitching are two different things.
I have a great idea then............ call 1-800-get-voom and get an un-install date. Then you can go to the other providers and get their 'perfect' box and 'great SD material and you won't be paying for voom. :yes

Wayne

I decided to raise myself from the dead after the customary three days. This will be my final post. I had a new set top box installed today and it is still not as clear as Direct tv on the HD channels. I understand for those who will jump on this immediately because we were only able to compare one channel (TDCHD) one on one. It was the overall clarity, color saturation and contrast that was superior on all of the Direct tv HD channels over Voom. I asked the installer what he thought and he said he installs both systems and wasn't allowed to compare but, had heard the same thing from many customers who are switching back to Direct tv. The idea of Voom is a good one. If I hadn't thought so I never would have ordered it. There are some bugs to be worked out and in my case being a photographer-videographer the picture quality was the most important to me and watching Voom being just a little soft and a little flat color picture quality was disappointing. Another thing was the Motorola IRD not being what I wanted. I am not suggesting that Motorola makes bad products I am just saying that with no competition with other manufacturers supplying the IRD the incentive may not be there. I fully understand the reasoning behind using one manufacturers box and only allowing installations by a licensed firm due to what has happened to Direct and Dishnetwork with all of the pirating however, it may a negative effect with those of us who prefer other brands. I will keep my eye on Voom and if things change will consider coming back. Good luck to all and I hope you continue to enjoy your home theaters!

InSync said:
I decided to raise myself from the dead after the customary three days. This will be my final post. I had a new set top box installed today and it is still not as clear as Direct tv on the HD channels. I understand for those who will jump on this immediately because we were only able to compare one channel (TDCHD) one on one. It was the overall clarity, color saturation and contrast that was superior on all of the Direct tv HD channels over Voom. I asked the installer what he thought and he said he installs both systems and wasn't allowed to compare but, had heard the same thing from many customers who are switching back to Direct tv. The idea of Voom is a good one. If I hadn't thought so I never would have ordered it. There are some bugs to be worked out and in my case being a photographer-videographer the picture quality was the most important to me and watching Voom being just a little soft and a little flat color picture quality was disappointing. Another thing was the Motorola IRD not being what I wanted. I am not suggesting that Motorola makes bad products I am just saying that with no competition with other manufacturers supplying the IRD the incentive may not be there. I fully understand the reasoning behind using one manufacturers box and only allowing installations by a licensed firm due to what has happened to Direct and Dishnetwork with all of the pirating however, it may a negative effect with those of us who prefer other brands. I will keep my eye on Voom and if things change will consider coming back. Good luck to all and I hope you continue to enjoy your home theaters!

In-

If you have read my thread here about seven reasons I'm thinking of leaving Voom- you'll see we are in the same boat. As someone also in the "biz", my eye never fails me. Voom has many issues to clear up and while I'm sure they will but as of today, the overall Voom experience pales to using a very good HD STB with DirecTV. Good Luck!

Since you guys have a knowledge for this that some of us are "blinded" and of course you possess the photographic gear (I suppose) to show us what you mean of PQ of D* vs V* on common channels, maybe you could take photographic images of both system and show us where is the difference. Of course, show us something that we don't already know.

(I am not trying to be sarcastic. It will be really helpful to see it and show it to Wilt as well).

Does this Insync guy even know he has to recalibrate his set for each new video source? He says he "tweaked" it long ago to make direct look good, did he do the same for Voom?

JaydeeD said:
Does this Insync guy even know he has to recalibrate his set for each new video source? He says he "tweaked" it long ago to make direct look good, did he do the same for Voom?

It is the input that is calibrated, how often is one supposed to put out $400 every time we change equipment? The VOOM picture is soft, colors are crushed and lacks the fidelity that VOOM talks about. The guy knows what he is talking about. There is no WOW. VOOM needs to do more.

gutter said:
It is the input that is calibrated, how often is one supposed to put out $400 every time we change equipment? The VOOM picture is soft, colors are crushed and lacks the fidelity that VOOM talks about. The guy knows what he is talking about. There is no WOW. VOOM needs to do more.

Of there is WOW! Like WOW!, why the hell did get Voom?

gutter said:

I'll be glad when voom gets everything fixed, to put that WOW factor in the picture, but I am curious about what my friends and guest would say, cause so far, they've all already said "WOW"...

Sean Mota said:
Since you guys have a knowledge for this that some of us are "blinded" and of course you possess the photographic gear (I suppose) to show us what you mean of PQ of D* vs V* on common channels, maybe you could take photographic images of both system and show us where is the difference. Of course, show us something that we don't already know.

(I am not trying to be sarcastic. It will be really helpful to see it and show it to Wilt as well).

How in the world you can see the difference using still images? You cannot see "dancing pixels", pixelization, mosquito effect, you name it, on a still image. I would be happy to post 100 pics for you but none of those problems can be visible on photos.
You, Wilt or whoever are welcome to evaluate the pq problem on my TV.
However, I think you know very well the source of the problem - Voom's low bit rate. You can see it every day on every Voom exclusive channel.
If you don't see anything wrong with pq, can we then arrange Voom's expert(s) to come to my place and see on their own what I am talking about? I'm sure many other folks who complain about the same thing would let them check their screens too.

Conjuror said:
How in the world you can see the difference using still images? You cannot see "dancing pixels", pixelization, mosquito effect, you name it, on a still image. I would be happy to post 100 pics for you but none of those problems can be visible on photos.
You, Wilt or whoever are welcome to evaluate the pq problem on my TV.
However, I think you know very well the source of the problem - Voom's low bit rate. You can see it every day on every Voom exclusive channel.
If you don't see anything wrong with pq, can we then arrange Voom's expert(s) to come to my place and see on their own what I am talking about? I'm sure many other folks who complain about the same thing would let them check their screens too.

If you are an expert at photographing and video shooting, yuo can capture more than the above in still images if the difference is like night and day as some of of these posts make it to be. Weren't you the same who said that VOOM's HD channels were as good as SD :eek:???

As long as you pay for all the expenses and my time plus pay Wilt, I am sure we can all go to your place and check your TV :)

I have never said or implied that the PQ is 100% perfect. I know and we all can agree on known PQ issues:

(1) Don't show me the "mosquito noise" thats a known issue. Not in every channel but most noticeable in Equator-HD.
(2) Don't tell me about the pixelation after changing channels -- known issue from day one.
(3) The "halo" that is barely noticeable is another known issue picked up by another person here.
(4) the "white strips" that appear randomly but not always.
(5) the "black screens"

These are known issues. But in no way these make the picture as good as SD. What other "pixelation" problems are you talking about? What is this "dancing pixel"?

Sean Mota said:
If you are an expert at photographing and video shooting, yuo can capture more than the above in still images if the difference is like night and day as some of of these posts make it to be. Weren't you the same who said that VOOM's HD channels were as good as SD :eek:???

As long as you pay for all the expenses and my time plus pay Wilt, I am sure we can all go to your place and check your TV :)

I have never said or implied that the PQ is 100% perfect. I know and we all can agree on known PQ issues:

(1) Don't show me the "mosquito noise" thats a known issue. Not in every channel but most noticeable in Equator-HD.
(2) Don't tell me about the pixelation after changing channels -- known issue from day one.
(3) The "halo" that is barely noticeable is another known issue picked up by another person here.
(4) the "white strips" that appear randomly but not always.
(5) the "black screens"

These are known issues. But in no way these make the picture as good as SD. What other "pixelation" problems are you talking about? What is this "dancing pixel"?

The same thing over and over again. If Voom's PQ doesn't make me cancel Voom any time soon, you certainly will. You play "cat and mouse" game on this forum with everyone who complains about PQ, with or without reason. Unfortunately, you are the one who keeps every PQ topic going on 8 or more pages like this one, not us. In fact, this is my second post on this topic, initiated because I couldn't read your crap anymore and stay neutral.

How many times I have to tell you that no black and white Voom's HD movie is better than any color SD movie received digitally OTA?
And don't put Wilt in the same level with yourself, please. Wilt is truly helping people while you keep confronting them. If my TV is broken or I am blind and stupid, together with a couple of my friends, you can't say the same for most other people, can you?

I'm happy if you got free Voom for a year or so but let us say what we think abut Voom here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)