Will there be a statement today???

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Cablevision Systems traded modestly lower Tuesday after a published report said the cable operator had come to no decision on an offer by the company's founder to buy the remaining parts of Voom, its troubled satellite business.

this just came in but nothing really new. From a Cablevision source I spoke to today, he was told that the board was meeting today. This would confirm what someone said from south Florida local media. The rest if news speculation that has been very wrong since the end of January.

ChetK said:
...They'd get the HD channels, get rid of the sucky ones (which is probably 60 to 80% of them) and give us better quality HD for the ones that actually matter....
Maybe I am paranoid. But whenever I hear "get rid of the sucky ones" I think it must refer to the channels I like: GalleryHD, EquatorHD, WorldCinema, FilmFest, etc. that are commercial-free and have content that escapes the "boob tube" reputation.

I am afraid "the ones that actually matter" are going to be the middle-of-the-road, commercial-laden sit coms, game shows, movies with commercials every 10 min, shopping channels, yecchhh. The bread and butter of TV.

I never had E* or D* and I never cared about TV for years until Voom came on the scene with their classy Exclusives. If E* takes over Voom and reduces the content to the lowest common denominator, they might as well not have a third satellite service IMO.

Anybody who likes E* or D* should stay with one of those and not wish that Voom will be more like them. Conversely, if Voom cannot be profitable unless they become a "me too" service like E* and D*. I might as well sell my HDTV.

My comment is not aimed at ChetK, nor anyone in particular because I know this is all a matter of personal taste. But ChetK's comments got me STARTED! :rolleyes:

All I have to say is that without VOOM's own HD channels, all they would be is just another broadcast company.

I am a salesman at a local satellite retailer/installation company in AZ. We stopped selling VOOM a couple of months ago because, 1-thier financial situation was uncertain, and 2- they were not paying comissions in a timely manner. It took us months to receive the commissions we were due.

VOOM's HD channels are great, but we get a lot of complaints about looping of these shows like we can do anything about it.

As for common HD content, everyone is getting the same channels available to them via the networks. Discovery, ESPN, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Showtime, HBO, and in some areas Cinemax, and Starz. Like I said, without VOOM's original looping channels they would just be an overpriced satellite television provider.

As for PQ of VOOM vs. E*. In our showroom we had both providers on identical televisions with identical settings showing the same channel (Discovery HD) and Dish Network blew VOOM out of the water as far as PQ went, which was the same for SD channels. These T.V.'s are the new JVC HD-ILA series so they are not by any means a middle of the line televisions.

And BTW, the best way to get your locals in HD is to buy an off air ant. and plug it into the back of your HD receiver. They are broadcast for free from the local towers in your area. Depending on your service provider, you can eliminate the fee for the local channels and save yourself a few bucks a month on your bill.

In war, the object is not to die for your country, but make the other guy die for his.

Don't worry 1080iBeVuMin, no offense taken. I'm not saying that nobody likes those channels, but if they were popular channels, Voom wouldn't be in the perdictiment that it's in now.

AxE, thanks for proving my beliefs on picture quality. It seems that most around here either choose not to believe me or are have not seen the truth for themselves. I also agree with your comments regarding OTA ant. In fact, you didn't say one thing that I didn't agree with! :D

And as far as Voom not paying you in a timely manner, don't worry! Voom didn't do much of anything the way they're "supposed" to be done.

Stung again

JVC has high quality TV's? My perception of JVC was that it was lower quality stuff...is this not the case anymore?

Yes. The new JVC HD-ILA is probably the best T.V. on the market right now. It works off DLP type technology but with some major changes.

First of all, instead of 1 color chip, or a color wheel, it has 3 separate color chips, one for each red, blue and green so it writes the color faster. In addition to that it also has a 75mhz processor built into the board that aids in focusing the picture for high speed, or high motion shots. For example, if you are watching a NASCAR race on a normal DLP or any other kind of T.V., when the cars come around the turn all you see is a blur. With this processor writing the picture faster you see more of the cars.
The ILA also uses a single light source reflected through a prism, instead of multiple light sources reflected off a mirror. This reduces the pixel spacing, or "screen door effect".
They come in 2 sizes, 52", and 61". They weigh less than 100lbs and produce very little heat.

The other thing that is nice about this T.V. is that it has a user replacable lamp, so in 10 years if the lamp goes bad, it will cost you around $200 to buy a new lamp, remove the 4 screws that hold it in place, put in the new lamp and put it back together. Downtime is about 15 minutes.

Also they have what is called Digital Image Scaling Technology(D.I.S.T.) which writes the picture at 770 lines of resolution instead of 480.

If you are looking for a T.V. that will give you the best quality picture for HD,
or SD for that matter check these out. All of the newer JVC products come with these features, including thier LCD and Plasma sets.

AxE said:
All I have to say is that without VOOM's own HD channels, all they would be is just another broadcast company.

I am a salesman at a local satellite retailer/installation company in AZ. We stopped selling VOOM a couple of months ago because, 1-thier financial situation was uncertain, and 2- they were not paying comissions in a timely manner. It took us months to receive the commissions we were due.

VOOM's HD channels are great, but we get a lot of complaints about looping of these shows like we can do anything about it.

As for common HD content, everyone is getting the same channels available to them via the networks. Discovery, ESPN, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Showtime, HBO, and in some areas Cinemax, and Starz. Like I said, without VOOM's original looping channels they would just be an overpriced satellite television provider.

It's only me or everybody noticed as well that how somebody "salesman" can say such BS? Since when $89.90/month would be overpriced, even if SD only? Compared to what?

AxE said:

Ridiculous. without the Voom21 I am still with Voom.

D* has how many HD channels in its HD pack? plus 2 HD movies premiums Whupdee freakin dooooooooo. They have what 7 total now? 5+2. But I can spend 500-1000 dollars on an already outdated mpeg2 technology HDDVR to make it more tolerable?

What a joke, E* as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)