Flash!!!! There will be no official statement on Monday

bruce said:
I believe these poor people have already received their notice of termination, has Voom/Cablevision tell these poor folks in limbo...never mind?

And they have told us on their website that they were closing. Now its back up. And back up with no explaination. :rolleyes:

bruce said:
I believe these poor people have already received their notice of termination, has Voom/Cablevision tell these poor folks in limbo...never mind?
Yes. Cablevision has already given notice to their employees of a shutdown. Charles and Tom gave contrary notice, but the last official word to employees was feel free to apply for other jobs within Cablevision.

JL

Don Landis said:
Go take some more pills! :)

You're talking about something different than a company closing one of it's subsidiaries or being bought out by another company. I recall the Barnett Bank closing where employees as high as exec VP's and Presidents of divisions woke up and read the news in the morning paper. Comcast buying out ATT was news to all in the morning paper or radio if their paper was late that day. Later that day the employees realized their fate in the Comcast memos that defined who was fired and who would continue with the new management.
If you were fired for cause in your two jobs, or they found a reason to lay off you and your department they wouldn't make that public. That is a different situation than we are seeing here with VOOM being closed. Think!

Of course, we all have to agree that this guy James Dolan seems to be managing by emotion, aka family feud than by clear MBO strategy.

Ok I also know of countless examples, of which I was directly involved with by a fortune 20 and 75 company, where CEOs addressed the company before the media reports hit. If you care to know, PM me I'd love to share - just no need to hijack over something so insignificant nor do I want to publish my employment info online in the forums!

Until then, continue on with your dated and overused "take your pills" rhetoric! That's typically what those that need an upper hand resort to. :)

Guys,

This is not about any particular member. Please keep on topic and do not star calling names or result ot personal attacks.

softwiz said:
OK, 1 billion over the next two years is $500 million per year. 500 million per year is $41.6 million per month divided by $50 per sub = 83333 subs to break even. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

How come DirecTV can't make any money with 12 million subs?????
it is 14 million subs not 12million

justalurker said:
How so? Are you tired of discussing Voom and want to troll me?

JL

I do believe that is racist statement to those poor folks that live under bridges sir.

I'm sure someone has said this already, but this reminds me (on a larger dollar scale) of the death throes of Commodore and the Amiga ten years ago. Thanks to a forum like SatelliteGuys.US, we're on top of the action instead of having to read about it weeks and months after key events occurred.

I notice on entering SatelliteGuys that the usual reader balance of Direct/Dish/Voom of 35%/50%/15% is now like 10%/15%/75%.

"just no need to hijack over something so insignificant nor do I want to publish my employment info online in the forums!"

Thank you! On that I 100% agree, as I'm sure none of us want to read it.

Take your pills joke was in reference to your user ID. Hey... You chose to use that handle. Must be for a reason. Cheers! If one puts a sign on his back that says: I'm an idiot" should he be upset if people think he is?

Just some thoughts. First of all I want to say that this is a wonderful and informative forum and I am truly impressed with the diverse, yet informed, views I see presented. Also I would like to say that Voom is amazing. I've had it for 2 weeks and if it wasn't for work I would be home watching TV 24/7. Now to the important points.

1) I believe that Voom was given a reprieve on the closing in 30 days .So it is reasonable, though by no means certain, that if the decision is made to close voom, we'll have around 30 days again.

2) Having your subscription ended makes no sense, because if the worse happens and they do end the day after you pay you can still contest the charge on your card. Since the dates of service are clearly shown on the bill, you will have no problem getting the charge removed.

3) Whether or not the employees get notice before the general public is often dependent on many factors and is not consistent throughout corporate America. In fact it often depends on how much there is to gain by keeping it quiet. But in all reality, once the 1st employee reads the termination email, the whole world knows real quick. The good news is that if Voom employees were being told goodbye, We would know. So we know that isn't happening.

4) Relax!!!!!!. Meetings, particularly the 1st with new board members, often accomplish zero, nada,zilch. Its very possible that this was a preliminary meeting just so all knew where they stood. Once that is known, negotiations can begin. So it might be a while. OTOH only an idiot would pack the board with people who won't vote his way and Dolan is no idiot. That being said they still must come up with a way to make it as good as possible for Cablevision, so my gut opinion is that a deal is a foregone conclusion, but it will still take time to get all the details hammered out. Remember this isn't buying a car that is going on, these don't just happen, all the t's must be crossed and all the i's dotted.

Patrick

nicholassjenkins said:
Everyone here should try cup-half full for a few days. (Or "rose-colored glasses" for you cup-half-empty types...)

-NICK
I agree that's a good idea, and for those who don't like half-full, half-emty OR rose colors...I think Kentstater72 is the one who used to promote the "wrong-sized glass" theory. I like that one! :) Vicki

astrosfan said:
4) Relax!!!!!!. Meetings, particularly the 1st with new board members, often accomplish zero, nada,zilch. Its very possible that this was a preliminary meeting just so all knew where they stood. Once that is known, negotiations can begin. So it might be a while. OTOH only an idiot would pack the board with people who won't vote his way and Dolan is no idiot. That being said they still must come up with a way to make it as good as possible for Cablevision, so my gut opinion is that a deal is a foregone conclusion, but it will still take time to get all the details hammered out. Remember this is buying a car that is going, these don't just happen, all the t's must be crossed and all the i's dotted.

Patrick

Nice job Patricl....I totally agree with all of this. The board is packed....the service wasn't shut down over the weekend...no quick announcement. Voom will live to fight another day. I'm so sure of this, I called E* and cancelled them for good.

dragon002 said:
where is the stockholders dividends and the expected profits?

Just because you own stock doesn't mean you will get dividends. Some pay dividends on profits and some don't. Cablevision happens to be one that doesn't pay dividends.

So why buy stocks that don't pay dividends? Well, you can sell the stock when the price is higher than what you paid, or you buy the stock so that you can have a say in how the company is run by voting with your shares.

Of course if VOOM survives as VOOM LLC and becomes an IPO I'll be the first in line :D

nicholassjenkins said:
Everyone here should try cup-half full for a few days. (Or "rose-colored glasses" for you cup-half-empty types...)

-NICK
I agree that's a good idea, and for those who don't like half-full, half-emty OR rose colors...I think Kentstater72 is the one who used to promote the "wrong-sized glass" theory. I like that one! :) Vicki

hypokondriak said:
Ok I also know of countless examples, of which I was directly involved with by a fortune 20 and 75 company, where CEOs addressed the company before the media reports hit.
I really don't think that is possible in most instances with public companies. If the employees were notified of a merger or a shut down of a subsiduary before the public (stockholders) then there is the risk of insider trading.

As the previous poster said, small scale layoffs are another matter. Only a select few employees of publicly traded companies are entrusted with acquistion or shut down information before the general public. These employees are barred from trading the stock until the general public is notified. That is impossible to do if 1000 rank and file workers are notified in a video conference.

Lots of times board members are briefed and supplied with extensive information before the board meeting. At the board meeting they see presentions, but some information could still be pending (i.e. questions asked that need to be answered). If there is information pending they can wait for the final information, then meet via conference call to do the final vote.

Big companies do this all the time. It is quite possible for them to arrange a telephone meeting have the vote and have an immediate announcement.

I just hope that they come up with a vote/answer soon!

bryan27 said:
Just because you own stock doesn't mean you will get dividends. Some pay dividends on profits and some don't. Cablevision happens to be one that doesn't pay dividends.

So why buy stocks that don't pay dividends? Well, you can sell the stock when the price is higher than what you paid, or you buy the stock so that you can have a say in how the company is run by voting with your shares.

Of course if VOOM survives as VOOM LLC and becomes an IPO I'll be the first in line :D

you are missing the point,,, people today do not want to wait for results, the people that own cvc want results and the customers that have voom want hdtv and dont seem to care what it costs the company or the investors.

does anyone know this, mr dolans worth is tied to cvc stock and if voom takes cvc into the can, he has no worth and can not finance anything, and no sane investor would follow him. this is why it is so complicated, and why charles sr and james are moving in a very methodical manner.

cvc and vooms first obligation is to the stockholders not to the customers and that is by law

C. Dolan can vote however he pleases. He is a stock holder. If others dont like it they are free to sell their stock.

They are going to close Voom. If they had good new they would just say it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts