Flash!!!! There will be no official statement on Monday

Sean Mota said:
Today is only 3/7. They have plenty of time before 3/31 to work out the negotiations (either way). So I would not jump the gun yet. It is too early.

I disagree, I think they owe customers at least 3 weeks notice to arrange for installation of a new sat provider. Many Voomers are 1st time HDset owners and quite possibly 1st time sat customers.

No news is good news. The decision to shut Voom down would, IMO, come quickly. I don't read this delay one way or another. They've talked to Sears...that's good news. Chuck stacked the board....that's good news. And they didn't trot Jimmy out to say Goodnight.

It's gonna be fine.

vurbano said:
You are a fool if you think no decisions were made.

Let's take this position. Let's say a decision was made. Two possibilities:

1 - Shutdown Voom. What would they gain by not making it public now.
2 - Continue Voom... But how.... They can't just say they will until they know how to continue. And it looks like they only way to continue it is as its own entity because CVC will not like it any other way.

Given those scenario... I do not know what conclusion they could have reached.

vurbano said:
I disagree, I think they owe customers at least 3 weeks notice to arrange for installation of a new sat provider. Many Voomers are 1st time HDset owners and quite possibly 1st time sat customers.

If that is the case, arrange for plan B after 3/31, let's say 4/1. If nothing happens and VOOM continues, you can cancel plan B.

Sean Mota said:
Let's take this position. Let's say a decision was made. Two possibilities:

1 - Shutdown Voom. What would they gain by not making it public now.
2 - Continue Voom... But how.... They can't just say they will until they know how to continue. And it looks like they only way to continue it is as its own entity because CVC will not like it any other way.

Given those scenario... I do not know what conclusion they could have reached.

Its very simple. Just announce that Voom is shutting down if its shutting down. If not then announce that it is not.

vurbano said:
I would not write a check until I knew if they were going to stop broadcasting on the 31st or not. If they do announce that then I would sit down and prorate the amount myself and write the check for that reduced amount. I would not leave it up to cablevision to send me a refund.

Don’t have much of a choice, I have the auto-billing option to a credit card and I heard that the billing section of the web site is still down. Besides, if I did not pay by the due date, would they not charge a late fee? That would probably offset any prorated savings if any.

softwiz said:
OK, 1 billion over the next two years is $500 million per year. 500 million per year is $41.6 million per month divided by $50 per sub = 83333 subs to break even. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

How come DirecTV can't make any money with 12 million subs?????

my first post but, 83333 X 50 X 12 X 2yrs = 99,999600.00 with that many subs it would take 11 years just to break even, a billion is a thousand million, not a hundred million.
where is the stockholders dividends and the expected profits? your statement about directv and dish losing money is not true, both pay dividends to stockholders, the losses are tax loopholes and write-offs. it would take voom/cvs 22 years just to break even at the rate, they already lost a billion (conservative, because im sure cvc has had its share of losses and write downs) and the forecast billion in expenses.

im not beholding to any satellite or cable company, but there comes a time where a CEO or COO or CFO has to step in and shield the company and shareholders from losses that are controllable. that is part of his job

the sad point is if something doesnt work out in 1-2 years in the market these days it is dead because of enron and global crossing et al, and you cant blame the equity holders, they are tired of getting burned.

vurbano said:
You are a fool if you think no decisions were made.
Should I click the
report.gif
or just wait for Sean to read one up from his post?

JL

Voom4Me said:
Don’t have much of a choice, I have the auto-billing option to a credit card and I heard that the billing section of the web site is still down. Besides, if I did not pay by the due date, would they not charge a late fee? That would probably offset any prorated savings if any.

This is exactly why I changed to "Cash" payment on their website as soon as it was an option... lol last month. Long overdue IMO

justalurker said:
Should I click the
report.gif
or just wait for Sean to read one up from his post?

JL

:rolleyes: Please do me a favor and put me on ignore Jl. That way you wont quote me and I wont hurt your feelings

vurbano said:
Its very simple. Just announce that Voom is shutting down if its shutting down. If not then announce that it is not.
And if neither is true what lie do you want them to say?
At this point: Voom is not shutting down and Voom is not staying on. It's limbo.
Why is it so hard to believe that THERE IS NOTHING TO ANNOUNCE.

JL

vurbano said:
Theres been a lot of stupid stuff, Mickey mouse management IMO over my year with Voom. MOOV, 10 channels of bandwidth sucking, picture quality robbing repeat old movie channels :rolleyes: etc, and just today, one year after I began I recieved a bill in the mail for payment. This is the way the payment should have been set up for everyone from the get go.:rolleyes: And now this childish scenario.

I think your attitude is similar.

I posted this in another thread but will do it here as well. NOT informing their employees first would be unprofessional and irresponsible. The employees deserve to know first in this situation - it impacts their lives far more than living room entertainment - somehow I think your life will go on without TV. I am sure if you are anywhere remotely involved with business you'll realize that memo's like these will be reviewed by many hands before release - including all the new management if a deal was made.

Nobody deserve to find out the state of their job in the evening news. This should come from the CEO internally first at the minimum.

Guys I know that this is frustrating. But not getting an official statement on the same day as a board meeting is not all that unusual. Realx. You might as well. It won't help but this is all out of your control. Worrying won't help either.

I like your thinking

jeslevine said:
no decision today means it must be very difficult negotiations going on
I was wading through the complaining, thinking I would make this point at the bottom. Bottom line is that if there was no possibility, they would simply have said it was over. The fact that they are staying their comments implies that there is still a possibility.

Everyone here should try cup-half full for a few days. (Or "rose-colored glasses" for you cup-half-empty types...)

-NICK

Most likely, decision was made (to sell VOOM to CD), Wait until tomorrow because it may be suspected it would affect the stock price and they need time to carefully word the decision in order to temper wall street. I think it was a wise move on their part to delay the news until exact details can be worked out in the press release.

One thing is certain, I can still watch VOOM and if it goes dead, well, the next chapter will be CVC trying to sell off the remaining programming assets to the other DBS providers.

Did anybody speculate on a deal that would include CVC holding a stock interest in VOOM HD LLC? That may be a way to protect their original investment but dump the present day cash drain.

There are so many possibilities and another day or two while they work out the details is not making any difference in what I can and can't watch on VOOM today or tomorrow.

Reaching a decision after 2.5 hours that you are unable to reach a decision as to the fate of voom is making a decision and should be announced. Therefore a decision was made.

Frankly, this could possibly go on for several days, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it

vurbano said:
Reaching a decision after 2.5 hours that you are unable to reach a decision as to the fate of voom is making a decision and should be announced. Therefore a decision was made.

Great - Regardless of the answer they'll let their employees know first and then subscribers. Have you ever been at a big business before a big press release?

This isn't unusual at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts