2013 AL Central

Sanchez is taking the mound tonight for the Tigers. I'm hoping he can continue his stellar pitching so far this year. Elsewhere on the roster, Victor Martinez has raised his BA to .221 - which is great compared to the buck-twenty he was hitting a week ago.

Make that a DAY game today ... 1 pm start.

All things considered, I have to be somewhat pleased with the Twins at this point. I certainly haven't liked the last couple days, and their trip to KC was awful, but their starting pitching has been pretty good. If they can improve as the season progresses, they may compete.

In any case, this is much better than the last two seasons, when they were close to done by the end of April.

Tiger Happenings...

The Tigers have put left-handed reliever Phil Coke on the 15-day disabled list and have recalled right-hander Jose Ortega from Triple-A Toledo. They also reinstated outfielder Avisail Garcia from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Toledo, probaby to keep an eye on the foot. Anywy, Coke has been bothered by a left groin strain. To be honest, Coke is 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA this season with 10 strikeouts in 8 2/3 innings...been either really good or really bad - no consistency in relief. Offhand, I don't see Ortega being an improvement.

Is it me or have the Tigers been using Rondon sparingly since joining the team? I got to see him pitch last week and OMG! he is a big boy. While it's not a prerequisite for pitchers to be superfit, he is way too young to be that beefy IMO. Time to secure the Little Ceasars Pizza and the bullpen run laps.

In other news, Cabrera And Fielder combined for 55 RBIs in April, which is the highest total for a pair of major-league teammates during April since Miguel Tejada and Brian Roberts had 57 for the Orioles in 2005. Not too shabby!

All things considered, I have to be somewhat pleased with the Twins at this point. I certainly haven't liked the last couple days, and their trip to KC was awful, but their starting pitching has been pretty good. If they can improve as the season progresses, they may compete.

In any case, this is much better than the last two seasons, when they were close to done by the end of April.

I think the Twins have done better than expected, I'm glad to see it !

The Tigers have put left-handed reliever Phil Coke on the 15-day disabled list and have recalled right-hander Jose Ortega from Triple-A Toledo. They also reinstated outfielder Avisail Garcia from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Toledo, probaby to keep an eye on the foot. Anywy, Coke has been bothered by a left groin strain. To be honest, Coke is 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA this season with 10 strikeouts in 8 2/3 innings...been either really good or really bad - no consistency in relief. Offhand, I don't see Ortega being an improvement.

Is it me or have the Tigers been using Rondon sparingly since joining the team? I got to see him pitch last week and OMG! he is a big boy. While it's not a prerequisite for pitchers to be superfit, he is way too young to be that beefy IMO. Time to secure the Little Ceasars Pizza and the bullpen run laps.

In other news, Cabrera And Fielder combined for 55 RBIs in April, which is the highest total for a pair of major-league teammates during April since Miguel Tejada and Brian Roberts had 57 for the Orioles in 2005. Not too shabby!

Also, Bruce Rondon is Optioned to Toledo and Luke Putkonen is coming to the Tigers, who are headed to Houston tomorrow.

Glad to hear the Twins salvage a game in Detroit (I love MLB at Bat). Sounds like Rondon has great velocity, but not a lot of movement. It doesn't matter how hard you throw, if it's straight a major league hitter will turn it around.

Glad to hear the Twins salvage a game in Detroit (I love MLB at Bat). Sounds like Rondon has great velocity, but not a lot of movement. It doesn't matter how hard you throw, if it's straight a major league hitter will turn it around.

Tigers have had other pitchers/throwers with that same problem.

Leyland said he went down so he could get regular work, said he was disappointed that he wasn't able to get him steady work.

Look for him to be back up in a month or so.

Still thinking that Houston's in the NL, was surprised to see Martinez in the line up tonight .... then realized that it's an AL game.