4/8/2009 1:10pm - Uplink Activity Report - 93 changes - STILL NOT VIACOM

I really don't understand why you folks blame Dish for the content of the HD channels.
After all what is on any channel is not up to Dish it is the channel's call.
If the broadcaster does not supply HD content then this is NOT Dish's fault.
I recall a lot of the members here were screaming for new HD channels and when we got them they complained about the content. I think that some of you would blame Dish if it rained tomorrow
Get over it you don't have to blame Dish for every thing I you don't like Dish that bad just switch to Direct and see if the grass is really greener over there.
The other point I would make is that Dish chooses what channel gets put up next. In the case of BETJ, there were plenty of other channels, including other Viacoms, that would have been much better suited for HD broadcasts (actually, with this stupid channel, I would argue that there was no new national hd; it is just an sd channel that we get to watch in widescreen with pillarboxes; I literally lose like 80% of my tv's screen real estate...).

They could have chosen something with tons more HD and higher ratings (I mean of the 13 people that subscribe to Dish's ridiculously crappy and valueless platinum package, how many actually would watch this channel? My guess would be some sort of fraction of a person. Oh, and we cannot count people like me with the free platinum preview who flip to it for 5 seconds, once per day to see if we can spot the elusive hd content; its like trying to find a four leaf clover). Anyways, so yeah, Dish does get to take some heat from this, but not all of it.

Well, yes, that may be part of the problem, but the installer could have replaced both with a 1000.2 (which should have been done if you're paying for it) or moved the D500 pointed at 61.5 to the other side of the D500 pointed at 110/119. No LOS means no line of sight on the property. I'd be calling to get someone else out there or do it yourself and save a few bucks or an extended commitment. Did you go through E* CSR or call your local retailer? Not all installers/techs are created equal.
I called E* CSR who transferred me to another dept. (since I bundle with Windstream now) the rep apologized to me for not being able to get the 129 sat. and sent an installer at no charge since I have been a customer for over 10yrs. I called a Winstream CSR and told her my situation and she said the could move the dish to another location. If I have time when I get home tonight I will try and post a pic of what I have.

Yes, you do have to sub to your locals in order to see EPG data for your OTA's. aperry was referring to the fact that the EPG channels have to be uplinked for a given OTA channel or subchannel before you will see the data, even if you subscribe to locals.
Exactly. Our local ABC affiliate started airing The CW on OTA subchannel 2 (since we don't have a "real" CW affiliate). Since this channel was not in their uplink, the guide showed "Digital Service" for the OTA CW channel. Once they added the EPG to the uplink, the listings started showing up, even though that actual channel was not available on Dish at that time. They have since uplinked the actual channel too so we can watch it on Dish.

As always though, as Brad points out, you will not get listings for OTA channels unless you subscribe to your local channels through Dish.

Again, let me say how much I appreciate the hard work you and Nelson61 have done to provide these maps. The List is teh awesome.

Not a problem. I enjoy being a part of bringing all this information to you guys right at your finger tips. As long as it's used I'll continue to work on new ideas. The uplink report has come a LOOOONGGGG way since I took over the reigns from goaliebob (and no I'm not putting him down either).

Not a problem. I enjoy being a part of bringing all this information to you guys right at your finger tips. As long as it's used I'll continue to work on new ideas. The uplink report has come a LOOOONGGGG way since I took over the reigns from goaliebob (and no I'm not putting him down either).

Yes, we should all be thankful for the updated uplink report as well and to those who blazed the trail for us.

This only means these two local HD channels have been uplinked to Ciel-2, correct? Those two channels in Wichita Falls (as well as the CBS station there, KAUZ) are already available in HD on E*12 at 61.5°.

I think it will be pretty odd if E* lights up the Wichita Falls local HD stations in this viewing market on TWO different birds but still doesn't manage to get the ABC station, KSWO, supported in HD on any of them. KSWO management and Drury Broadcasting has already said E* has permission to re-transmit that station's HD signal. I just don't understand the hold up.

Makes our market important! :p

Hard to believe a market as small as ours is going both EA/WA. KSWO must be waiting on a fiber link. KAUZ launched first then KFDX and KJTL launched knocking out KAUZ for a few weeks! At least they have KAUZ back working. When they add KSWO they will probably knock out the other 3!

Laddyboy,

Here are a couple of pics of my setup....I may need to get a dish 1000.

Attachments

• DSCF3509.JPG
    DSCF3509.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF3510.JPG
    DSCF3510.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 244
I just spoke to a dish tech online who was very friendly and attempted to explain what is going on. Now, I have no idea if this is correct, but he said of course the contracts are done with Viacom and they are ready to go, however, they are "at capacity" on the 61.5 bird and are trying to free up the bandwidth for these channels for use on 129 and 61.5 and they would not launch them until ALL channels could come up on both birds.:smug

I asked why they announced it if they knew of this problem and he mentioned that they tried to have it completed by the date promised but it didn't happen. (No surprise there.) Lastly he said that the channels could go up anytime, not just on "uplink wednesday". Surprisingly the tech even sided with me expressing disappointment that the channels, stating he was waiting for Comedy Central for "daily show". :cool: I was shocked to actually chat with a tech that was friendly and has an idea of what I was talking about...not the others who state "what are you talking about?":confused:

Again, I express that this is only what the tech said and I do not know if it is true. Any of you uplink guru's have any other info to add? Is 61.5 at capacity?

Laddyboy,

Here are a couple of pics of my setup....I may need to get a dish 1000.

There would be no way to get 129 with the D500 that's currently pointing at 61.5. To use it, I think it would have to be moved over to where the D500 is mounted that points at 110/119. They should put up a 1000.2 where the D500 that points at 110/119 is. You could still keep the 61.5 dish if you wanted for some reason. It'll plug into the 1000.2. One antenna is all you really need in your case.

Nope. 61.5 has room allocated for those TMP channels. Hell there is even another TP that is completely blank.... 40 megabits of additional idle bandwidth.

Here's a new theory.
Charlie wanted to have a record breaking 2nd Quarter on sub losses, so he lied to us about the new HD on April 1st, to stop people from leaving in March.
Now it's the 2nd Quarter he doesn't care if you quit.
If he doesn't get enough sub losses to break the record by the next Charlie Chat, in June, he's announcing a 25% price increase starting July 1st, blaming increase costs on Fisher Communications channels (which he probably won't have settled by then), Demons stealing his Sat. Signals (includes two full time Witch Doctors and a Exorcist),the digital transition, increase legal fees to help keep our prices low and more toilet paper for Charlie's Office to get rid of all the bull$hit that is fed in there.

Nice Channel 53 for Scranton DMA , Thats Great!. Some good news. D* only made this available to HD subscribers, but in SD. Thank you E* for making 53 available to all your Scranton Subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)