722K with OTA Module locking up

I have had the problem as well and posted severalk messages on Dishsupport like all the others experiencing the same problem. I have had a new box, tech visit, new OTA moduleand guess what? It still happens/ On Dishsupport someone without an OTA module but a 722K was experiencing the xsame problem. It seems that Dish's answer is exchanging boxes and OTAs/ I am not a tekkie, but with all these people experiencing the same problem in different parts of the country Dish should look to software for the problem. Yes, I have L750 software.It's frustrating because all I want to do is watch TV.

Sorry that there are these problems. I know it seems like there are since it's the problem you are having. I looked thru the whole 722k freezes thread and they are less than 10 having the problem. To me that isn't "a lot". Hope they can get the problem fixed for you.

Sorry that there are these problems. I know it seems like there are since it's the problem you are having. I looked thru the whole 722k freezes thread and they are less than 10 having the problem. To me that isn't "a lot". Hope they can get the problem fixed for you.

But if you consider that not everyone on these boards has a 722k and that most are probably lurkers that don't post anyway, the problem is larger than it would seem.
Plus most of the Dish subscribers don't even know or care about these boards.
Dish has had major software problems with the 722k for a long time now. Most people just put up with it.

I have had the problem as well and posted severalk messages on Dishsupport like all the others experiencing the same problem. I have had a new box, tech visit, new OTA moduleand guess what? It still happens/ On Dishsupport someone without an OTA module but a 722K was experiencing the xsame problem. It seems that Dish's answer is exchanging boxes and OTAs/ I am not a tekkie, but with all these people experiencing the same problem in different parts of the country Dish should look to software for the problem. Yes, I have L750 software.It's frustrating because all I want to do is watch TV.

Any time you are a DISH sub you will have software induced glitches and bugs. That is why they added the RED Reset button on the 722k now. So you can easily push it and reboot. You will have to do it quite frequently, so get used to it. Every time DISH adds something via software updates, they alway seem to break something too. I got used to it about 15 years ago. I even expect it.

But if you consider that not everyone on these boards has a 722k and that most are probably lurkers that don't post anyway, the problem is larger than it would seem.
Plus most of the Dish subscribers don't even know or care about these boards.
Dish has had major software problems with the 722k for a long time now. Most people just put up with it.
I really thought of that before I posted. Even if the problem is 10 times worse than all the reports it will still be less than 100 people experiencing the problem.

I usually don't post and say "me too" but since L750 I've experienced lockups with my 722k with OTA module. So I guess that makes me the 111th :) Im just hoping a software update fixes it soon. It's been bearable, but it is getting to be a bit annoying having to reboot the receiver every other day or so.

I usually don't post and say "me too" but since L750 I've experienced lockups with my 722k with OTA module. So I guess that makes me the 111th :) Im just hoping a software update fixes it soon. It's been bearable, but it is getting to be a bit annoying having to reboot the receiver every other day or so.
Mine is getting worse. Have to reboot at least once a day the last several!

If you are experiencing this issue could you please PM me with your account number, receiver and smartcard number, software version and details about how many times it freezes and what you are doing when it freezes. This information will be used to submit technical problem reports.

Folks....This is the exact same issue being discussed at length on the DISH support forum, but for some reason that forum is no longer available. I have a VIP722K with an OTA and the box had worked fine for about 10 months. Then in January it started this banner freeze, remote freeze and reboot issue. DISH sent a newreceiver. Within days it started doing the dsame thing. DISH sent out a tech, whic checked grounding, cabling, LNB, signal strength and I was able to replicate the freeze sensation. The answer was another receiver. The third receiver in a month. Same thing happened within two days. More freezing and more rebooting. DISH sent me a new OTA. More freezing and more rebooting. A DISH employee stopped by to check on the tech's work. It got it to freeze for him. He was scratching his head. I have called DISH advanced support. It is now a kinda sorta known problem. The lady at DISH in Texas seemed sharper than nots. She, like me suspects, something is wrong wit the software version L750 that may becausing problems. As I mentioned there used to be a DISH support forum and VIP722K customers without OTAs were reporting the dsame freezing and rebooting issue. The last two nights, at 6:27 p.m. and 7:32 p.m., the receiver froze, screen went black and it rebooted automatically. I really wish DISH would fix this problem. It wreaks havoc watching TV and recording on DVR. Help?

I am another dishsupport forum 722K poster! Redneck.....I am still having the same problems as you are. I wish I would have saved all my problems since dec from that forum. Now I cant keep track of what happened since day 1. FB dish suppport is NO help at all. Everytime they give me a link to click on I cant......its not a good link. What the heck is going on with Dish? internet sites do not work....

Well I guess I'm #112 with the same lock-up problem. 722K with OTA module. It's happened about 4 times in the last few days. Banner stays at the top of the screen and neither the remote or controls on the receiver will do anything. A hard reboot (pull the plug) is necessary to get things working again.:rant:
Zach-I'm PMing you my info.

Ed

PM sent!

Last edited:
I've stopped watching live OTA since L750 so have been able to avoid lockups since doing that. Interestingly enough, recording the very same channels never results in a lockup. I think it has something to do with glitches in the OTA signal related to display of the banner. It's as if a pointer to a key frame is getting lost when the banner is up and the signal is temporarily lost. The simplest thing would be to just put the code back the way it was. I'm surprised this bug has been around so long and the developers still haven't solved it and are just now asking us for more data.

Well we had another freeze at 12:30 PM today, now it up to daily! I would like to stop using OTA as mdavej has but Dish does not supply our locals in HD so if I want to watch a program and use the DVR features in HD I must use OTA. So I am stuck unless Dish gets around to fixing it or I switch ti Direct. I think I will start investigating that.
Michael

I've only stopped using live OTA. I can still record OTA. So try recording and chasing what you want to watch, so long as live is never on an OTA channel.

This issue has been added to our known product issues list. The temporary fix is to hard reset the receiver. We are working on new software to fix this for good. Thank you to everyone who sent me their account information.