AMC-9 Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi All,

I was thinking before I read this article, as to whether SES had any physical control of AMC9 after its "anomoly."
I wonder how far they'll let it slowly drift before they fire it into a safer orbit. Those satellites keep close company.
Didn't realize AMC3 at 20 years of age, was still being used.

John

AMC 9 continues to "Sail Away." :D

Here is the most recent info. An intresting note: No command and control or telementry at all. Those who are seeing signals at AMC9's slot are seeing signals from other birds.

telstar4failure.gif

SES: AMC-9 has “no risk of a collision with other active satellites” - SpaceNews.com

WASHINGTON — SES says its 14-year-old satellite that malfunctioned and strayed from its orbit over the weekend poses no collision or interference danger to other satellites in the vicinity.

AMC-9, a 4,100-kilogram communications satellite orbiting some 36,000 kilometers above North America, “is slowly moving westwards,” and “is in a stable and predictable orbit,” according to an SES statement provided to SpaceNews June 21.

“AMC-9 is being tracked by SES and other agencies,” SES said. “There is no risk of a collision with other active satellites. All relevant operators and agencies have been informed and will receive regular updates from SES.”

Luxembourg-based SES says AMC-9 suffered a “significant anomaly” June 17 but has not identified the cause. SES said the company is working with Thales Alenia Space to trace the source of the malfunction, and how to reestablish communications.

“We have no established telemetry command and control,” SES spokesperson Markus Payer said in a June 21 telephone interview. “We are trying to re-establish that, but it is not yet the case.”

The Space Data Association, a collective of satellite operators that share data on spacecraft locations to prevent collisions and interference, is assisting in disseminating information about AMC-9.

“SES’s Flight Dynamics team have already uploaded the latest ephemeris for AMC-9 into the SDA’s Space Data Center,” Mark Dickinson, SDA chair, told SpaceNews by email June 21. “SDA members’ satellites are already being screened against this ephemeris and will receive notifications if necessary.”

In its statement, SES said the majority of AMC-9’s traffic has been transferred to other SES satellites and that the operator “is working on a long term plan to minimize disruption to our customers that originally used AMC-9.”

Payer said yesterday that such a long term plan could including using capacity on other operator’s satellites for the remaining displaced customers if SES cannot provide suitable alternatives from its own fleet.

Reactions: JFOK
Hi All,

I was thinking before I read this article, as to whether SES had any physical control of AMC9 after its "anomoly."
I wonder how far they'll let it slowly drift before they fire it into a safer orbit. Those satellites keep close company.
Didn't realize AMC3 at 20 years of age, was still being used.

John

Short answer is no control means they cant fire it into a safer orbit. It's just drifiting away. They are tracking it so it's not like they dont know where it's at and if it was to get into someones station keeping box they could adjust the satellite's pattern in the box to avoid AMC9. Not sure what the end game will be for AMC9, other than they can keep sending signals to it in hopes it will wake up and come home.

Short answer is no control means they cant fire it into a safer orbit. It's just drifiting away. They are tracking it so it's not like they dont know where it's at and if it was to get into someones station keeping box they could adjust the satellite's pattern in the box to avoid AMC9. Not sure what the end game will be for AMC9, other than they can keep sending signals to it in hopes it will wake up and come home.

Yes, they will just do the same that they did went Galaxy 15 ("Zombie Sat") went for "walkies"!

Zombie sat forces evasive moves for other craft

Has anyone located the new home for PCN formerly on 83W?
I heard it might on 103W but I 'm not picking it up .
I need my Weather World...

Short answer is no control means they cant fire it into a safer orbit. It's just drifiting away.

In a couple of years, there will be a test of a servicing spacecraft for GEO orbit sats, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that if
AMC-9 drifting in GEO active orbit is a problem, there will be a servicing spacecraft that will grab it and place it in a proper retirement orbit.

According to the article, they now have re-established communication as of July 1st. I am assuming they are doing some sort of health tests on the bird and are working to slow it down into an inclined orbit to see what's wrong with it. I wonder what will come about of the investigation on why it did what it did. Now, tinfoil hat time? Russians? North Koreans? LOL

Reactions: Lee60
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)