Arc Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because BITD most the satellites of interest, those with the subscription channels, were in the western sky. Basically 137 to 97. Very few channels were east of there.

You are wrong about this...lots of great channels east of 97 over the Atlantic. CBS/CW HD feeds on 89, Retro TV on 87, Nascar stuff on 83, MSNBC/CNBC/Weather/NBC on 72, NHK/France24 News on 58, BBC HD on 55, Bloomberg/RT on 40 and tons of Spanish stuff!

You are wrong about this...lots of great channels east of 97 over the Atlantic. CBS/CW HD feeds on 89, Retro TV on 87, Nascar stuff on 83, MSNBC/CNBC/Weather/NBC on 72, NHK/France24 News on 58, BBC HD on 55, Bloomberg/RT on 40 and tons of Spanish stuff!
As he said Back In The Day,the way things were,not what they are now.Things were a lot different BITD.

When the dish is on zenith its hitting 83 so I need to turn the polar mount a bit west, I just need some warmer weather. When it gets back in the 40-50s I'll get back to work on it.

I m finding many big ugly dishes with no declination bolts to fine tune the arc. This is not a problem if you want only one sat on the arc; but is a major one if you want them all. I find them; then fix them for who i put them in for by manufacturing an adjustment into the bad design. The dishes without an exact set declination do not track the arc!!!

Older, original dishes made at the beginning of the BUD extravaganza only had to hit a few C-band satellites that were located very close together. Often these dishes were manufactured locally and usually they were not shipped outside of the local market. Declination adjustment was added later when dish owners started exploring beyond these few satellites, KU band became more popular and major manufactures started mass producing dishes and shipping them everywhere.

So this dish wont track the arc?
No one said that. how about a clear picture of the mount from the side. Like this picture
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20054.jpg
    20054.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 191
Looking at picture #2 that you attatched to post #7, I can see that you indeed have a declination adjustment. If you haven't moved it already, then don't adjust it until your elevation and azimuth are correct. It takes time and patience to aim a dish properly. Remember small steps will give big results.

Screenshot_4.png

Last edited:
I set it at zenith and peaked 87W at 72%Q, I'm tracking 83W - 139W all with 70 - 75%Q. Is it time to lock the polar mount azimuth? The reason I ask is because there are no bolts to lock down. I have to drill a new hole in the pole for it to lock. I will move actuator and work on the eastern side tomorrow.

Attachments

• polarmount.JPG
    polarmount.JPG
    960.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I'd weld a nut on 2 or 3 holes so later adjustment is possible. (Pinching the pole)
But it should be slightly snugged up so as to make unwanted turning impossible.
1 -Mark the mount/pole for rotational position.
2 - Then see how well it performs on the other side of the arc.
IF you have to change the azimuth on the other side of the arc, pole/mount marks no longer align, it's an indication the declination is off.
If the pole/mount marks are still aligned, drill a hole for a thru bolt.

I'd weld a nut on 2 or 3 holes so later adjustment is possible. (Pinching the pole)
But it should be slightly snugged up so as to make unwanted turning impossible.
1 -Mark the mount/pole for rotational position.
IF you have to change the azimuth on the other side of the arc, pole/mount marks no longer align, it's an indication the declination is off.
If the pole/mount marks are still aligned, drill a hole for a thru bolt.
I was going to weld some nuts to it but decided not to since the polar mount looks to be cast. So are you saying its good to with the bolt now and the rest of the adjustments will be with the declination settings?

Looking at the pics some more, The large bolt on the top of the mount. (5 washers) Does that tighten an internal 'wedge' inside the pole. If so, hope it's not frozen, and that's enough 'holding power' for now. no need for anything else to 'pinch' the pole.
Almost there!
1 -Mark the mount/pole for rotational position when peaked on one side of the arc.
If the pole/mount marks are still aligned, tighten up that top bolt, drill a hole for a thru bolt.

Once you get it tracking, with the actuator as mounted, do not be concerned about 40.5w to 139.
If not already done, move the actuator to the east side of the pole.
Then retract the actuator to within 1/4 inch of bottoming out.
Then adjust the actuator in the fixed mount to acquire 40.5w.
Then extend the actuator to see 'how far W you get' to determine if a longer actuator is necessary.
From the looks of it, it's a 24 inch, that should work just fine.

Be aware, some C band sats E of 55W use circular polarity.

Maybe, down the 'road' might be advantageous to 'sidewinder'/'siamese' a 2nd LNBF with the dielectric plate installed onto the side of the linear LNBF. I'd put it on the west side as that would make it look east more.
It's within 1/4 inch from bottoming out on the west side and I'm hitting 139. I can only track to 83. Maybe theres a limit switch in the actuator? I'm gonna move the actuator to the east side tonight.

Is it fully extended at 83W? Measure the extended portion of the actuator. Should be near 23-24 inches unless the switch is set 'short' of full extension.

SECOND THOUGHT! Don't want to overextend it.
First measure the outer tube. Will give a clue as to the available extension. outer=>24-24inch, outer <~20-18inch.

If it's capable of more - Move it to the 'limit' you want to adjust. The one to adjust is the one that just actuated.

After telling everybody where the satellite dish is located; such Jamaican or Hispaniola or easterner points; from where their signals are im watching AMC 10 GBN 4000 V 29080 H.264; your points from west coast say they are below the horizon. Oh great vaca im on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts