***** Big Big Changes for HD Cinema*****ALL MOVIES in OAR all the time

I recently wrote VOom and asked for Pride and UFC events to be aired (mixed martial arts fighting events). I got a reply from a real person saying they would forward the info to programming dept and thanks for telling us your interese. I like to think I am solely responsible for the Kung Fu channel.

--Dan

I know that a lot of HD tech savvy people want OAR but dont you think that Joesixpack is gonna want zoomed and cropped filling his screen. And isnt he buying that new set for the superbowl this year really the big pond that Voom needs to fish in? I think they shoulda gone 50-50 with OAR to draw from both potential sub bases. DOnt the low sub numbers prove that Voom has aimed at the wrong elite subscriber base?

That was a good thread, everyone liked it too, what's more precious... Voom saw it and liked it too..heh.

I hope Guy TV will be replete with trashy gems like Porky and Animal House, with a generous sprinkling of "reality" programming like hotlines and bikini destinations.

Yes Guys have other TV needs too, but they all pale compared to the need to see babes in various stages of undress :)

Is Bikini Destinations produced in-house by HDNet? Is this programming that's up for grabs like Smart Traveler or Soundstage?

Vurbano, there will always be J6P's who don't want "Those damned black bars on my TV". I say "Screw Em". I'm glad Voom has the balls to step up to the plate and knock a home run in the OAR arena, HDNET has been doing this from day one.

Eventually people will come to understand and accept OAR. I find it unbelievable that there are people at AVSForum that bitch about black bars and they claim they are not J6P's.

I came home last night and my roommate was watching my VHS version of the Star Wars Trilogy on my old 27" TV and I was explaining to him that I just ordered the DVD Trilogy and he should wait to watch it on the big screen so he could see the whole picture. He was surprised, he had thought he was missing some of the picture when he saw the black bars top and bottom, so I got him straightened out and he is going to wait for the DVD's.

Going back to Guy-HD, I think it would be about all kind of movies that men like and women hate:

babes in g-strings
War Movies with a lot of fire and not much drama
Porky's movies
Bachelor Party movies
etc..

vurbano said:
I know that a lot of HD tech savvy people want OAR but dont you think that Joesixpack is gonna want zoomed and cropped filling his screen. And isnt he buying that new set for the superbowl...
Two comments on this:
1. Joesixpack probably won't watch those movies anyway, so it won't matter for him if they are in OAR.
2. A better long-term solution would be to add zooming capability in the STB and show OAR: that would make everyone happy!

I think they shoulda gone 50-50 with OAR to draw from both potential sub bases.
If they start doing 100% OAR from now on, it will still take another year to reach that 50-50 ratio, so really no need to worry.

Thats all we need. Voom doesn't appear to be having that many new subscribers and now they are going to shoot themselves in the foot by putting the nasty black bars on top and bottom of their movies. I can guarantee you that that will only hurt them. The majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens. Are you listening VOOM???????????

Dvlos said:
Is Bikini Destinations produced in-house by HDNet? Is this programming that's up for grabs like Smart Traveler or Soundstage?
BD is not produced in house but I do think they are an HDNET exclusive. I'd like to do some in-house producing with those babes. ;) If anyone would like a DVD of one of the shows, PM me. All I'll charge is the cost of the DVD + shipping, about $3.00.

jorgitog1 said:
The majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens.
Well, according to all the polls at this and other Internet forums they sure do!

jorgitog1 said:
Thats all we need. The majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens. Are you listening VOOM???????????
Speak for yourself. :mad:

jorgitog1 said:
Thats all we need. Voom doesn't appear to be having that many new subscribers and now they are going to shoot themselves in the foot by putting the nasty black bars on top and bottom of their movies. I can guarantee you that that will only hurt them. The majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens. Are you listening VOOM???????????
What about the DVD industry? Have they shoot themselves by selling DVD's OAR?

I only care about the PQ really, I can't get all worked up about OAR like some people do.. If I recall Xmen2 is 2.35:1 and is aired on HBOHD (East) and it looks 10 times better than my OAR DVD. However if it were OAR I wouldn't mind that much either, I guess I'm just really indifferent.

Starz showed Lord of the Rings Two Towers in OAR and Non-OAR and I really like both, the non-OAR looked damn, damn good... I think the suggestion for a Zoom option on the STB is the way to go, Voom's own "ASPECT RATIO" button for movie buffs (patent it!).

Here is a stupid question.
I was watching Die another Day at my friends house on HBO-HD with Comcast HD and he had HUGE black bars to the top and bottom of the screen. I mean each line was twice the size of a normal black bar you see on a Widescreen DVD. Is that what we are going to have?? The 1 inch black bar I can live with but what he had was almost unwatchable to me. He had a 51 inch and it looked like a 32 inch! Please tell me we're just going to see the 1 inch bars.....

Ilya said:
A better long-term solution would be to add zooming capability in the STB and show OAR: that would make everyone happy!

I agree. If Voom wants to snag HD tech savy people AND Families (alot who don't care a thing for OAR, they just want a completely filled screen) then they need to offer both, else they are going to have a heck of a time increasing their subscriber numbers.

The Dish HD stb's have Zoom/Stretch capability for an HD signal so J6P can do whatever he wants to his picture, that is the solution then if someone wants to butcher the picture they have only themselves to blame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts