***** Big Big Changes for HD Cinema*****ALL MOVIES in OAR all the time

dnyce said:
Here is a stupid question.
I was watching Die another Day at my friends house on HBO-HD with Comcast HD and he had HUGE black bars to the top and bottom of the screen. I mean each line was twice the size of a normal black bar you see on a Widescreen DVD. Is that what we are going to have?? The 1 inch black bar I can live with but what he had was almost unwatchable to me. He had a 51 inch and it looked like a 32 inch! Please tell me we're just going to see the 1 inch bars.....
It depends on the aspect ratio of the movie. Some movies like Ben Hur even make my big screen seem small, it is sooooooo wide: 2.76:1 ;) Like the Pontiac commercial: "Wide is Better".

dlayphoto said:
Personally I like widescreen, because I get the ENTIRE picture, not 25-30% of it cut off...
DING, DING, DING, DING! Folks, we have a winner!!!! :D

Speaking of OAR. I was watching "Animals Are Beautiful People" on Cinema10 a week or so ago. I didn't really know the OAR of that film. But at one point the camera was following a running tiger for a few seconds and it was just the rear half of the tiger all the way! :shocked Ugly!

Please, please don't crop the picture to fit the frame!

monalisa16-9.jpg

Ilya said:
Well, according to all the polls at this and other Internet forums they sure do!
If you think a poll of the tech savy elite Hardcore internet HD viewers is representative of the market place then you certainly qualify for a position on Voom's board of idiot marketers.

OK, if you had a choice of OAR over P&S, which version of the following picture would YOU rather see? :shocked :eek:

Attachments

• widescreen.jpg
    widescreen.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 154
vurbano said:
...a poll of the tech savy elite Hardcore internet HD viewers...
Is that what you really think this forum represents? ;)

txcruiser said:
I agree. If Voom wants to snag HD tech savy people AND Families (alot who don't care a thing for OAR, they just want a completely filled screen) then they need to offer both, else they are going to have a heck of a time increasing their subscriber numbers.

This is a step in the right direction IMO... DarrellP nice picture, can you now show the difference on how those boobs would look in 1.88:1 or 2.35:1? heh

Dvlos said:
This is a step in the right direction IMO... DarrellP nice picture, can you now show the difference on how those boobs would look in 1.88:1 or 2.35:1? heh
Sorry, this is a Family Forum. ;)

Here's a great website showing the difference between P&S & WS, now which movie would you rather watch?

Attachments

• towers_03l.jpg
    towers_03l.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 136
  • towers_03p.jpg
    towers_03p.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 138
I wonder if there is a difference between in 1.88 and 2.35, I think once you get to the "core boobage" that's enough.

vurbano said:
These forums are NOT a representative sampling of the market place.
Sure they are not! But that's the best we've got. If you know of other (more representative) polls, I'll be interested to see the results. :)

Ilya said:
Sure they are not! But that's the best we've got. If you know of other (more representative) polls, I'll be interested to see the results. :)
Go to best buy this weekend and ask the customers if they know what a DVR is? Or if they want black bars on the top or bottom of their screen? Polling Voom HD subs on a forum like this about what they prefer and assuming that that is what the market would prefer makes no sense. How many people on your block have 3 HD sets or a 9.16 ft screen?

vurbano said:
Go to best buy this weekend and ask the customers ...
Most people in BB wouldn't care about HD either. This has nothing to do with the statement that "majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens", that I was replying to.

The public needs to be educated, just look at the widescreen fiasco called Blockbuster a couple years ago. Blockbuster finally came to their senses and started buying WS DVD's again. Stores like Blockbuster, Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, etc that sell HD to the masses need to educate them to aspect ratios and black bars or this is going to be a head butting contest all over again.

How many of you signed the Blockbuster petition? I was #734. ;)

Ilya said:
Most people in BB wouldn't care about HD either. This has nothing to do with the statement that "majority of HDTV owners don't want those annoying black bars on their TV screens", that I was replying to.
I dont know who said that or if they are wrong. Why not start with DVD rental stats of OAR vs fullscreen and use that ratio? My point is that relying on data collected on AVS or Sateguys is not going to help obtain a realistic picture of the marketplace.

I disagree with your BB comment. The HD section of BB is very busy here. And dismissing these large retailers is one of the reasons voom is failing.

vurbano said:
I disagree with your BB comment. The HD section of BB is very busy here. And dismissing these large retailers is one of the reasons voom is failing.
Hey, I am not dismissing BB, I am only dismissing your suggestion that polling BB customers on OAR HDTV issue can be more representative than polling members of this forum.
At list most members here have HDTVs, while most BB customers do not! ;)

C'mon vurbano... don't let Ilya get the last word in on this debate (else he wins!)
My money is riding on you! Don't let me down.

Here it is short and to the point...

Guy TV is action, babes and macho comedy.

P.S. WorldCinema movies going to Arthouse (I think).