DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

Starz rejected the recent Netflix offer of $300 million to renew the streaming contract. BB bought rights so it makes sense if they put Starz in the new Movie Pass package.

That's not correct. Starz currently is on contract for $30M and wanted $300M for next year's contract. Netflix turned it down and starz refused to negotiate and walked out.

I already have Blockbuster by mail ($11.99 mo.) and HD Platinum ($10 a mo.) so will they now combine the two leaving me with what I already have but now just $10 a month rather than $21.99??? Otherwise, BIG YAWN!
There is a very subtle difference in the way Ira explained it and how my BB store manager confirmed how it works now. This difference adds up over time but gives an incentive to return the store copy quickly. The difference is how the credit for return is applied. Now, you get credit for the mailed copy when you exchange the mailed copy at the store. In the new plan you don't get credit for the mailed copy until you returned the store copy. My store manager liked htis because he said people would keep a store copy out for several days and return the store copy with the second mailed copy to save a trip. The Dish plan delays the credit, therefore you will n ot get as many movies per month as the turn around will be longer cycle.

I thought the chart was telling on selections. The mail disks is stated to be 100,000 but only 5000 titles can be streamed to your TV. Netflix has 30,000 streaming titles now. But aside from the reduced selections Blockbuster Movie Pass is said to cost $10 a month, for streaming and mail while today the same deal with Netflix is $20 a month. Netflix used to be $10 a month. The charts and releases has some pretty heavy rounding going on but essentially accurate enough.

OK, so i see the slide:

1 - Epix
2 - Sony
3 - Movie Plex
4 - Sundance
5 - Pixl
6 - HDNET
7 - Hallmark
8 to 15 - Starz (8)
16 - MGM

The announcement said 20 premium movie channels. Does that mean all Starz, Epix and Encore?
No just the channels which are in the Platinum package.

They consider those premium channels since people had to pay a premium to get them. :D

There is a very subtle difference in the way Ira explained it and how my BB store manager confirmed how it works now. This difference adds up over time but gives an incentive to return the store copy quickly. The difference is how the credit for return is applied. Now, you get credit for the mailed copy when you exchange the mailed copy at the store. In the new plan you don't get credit for the mailed copy until you returned the store copy. My store manager liked htis because he said people would keep a store copy out for several days and return the store copy with the second mailed copy to save a trip. The Dish plan delays the credit, therefore you will n ot get as many movies per month as the turn around will be longer cycle.
This is inaccurate. I currently have the blockbuster online pass and when you do an in store exchange, another movie is not mailed to you until you return that in store exchange. This has been the case since I started the service a year ago. I have never had another mail DVD shipped to me without first returning the store rental. So I'm not seeing any change.

Scott, so $10 a month for even top 250 which i have and everything pack ? what are they going to do with the dish platinum channels? What about us with top 250 and Platinum package? ty for help and they keep saying top 200 was just wondering about other packages
What about us with top 250 and Platinum package?

Is it just me or is this a big waste? I don't see how this compels anyone away from netflix, or how it compels people with netflix to also add this service. The only real benefit is you dont NEED an extra box like a roku If you already have dish. But judging by the 3000 titles that you can stream, the selection will be more like amazon primes selection for streaming. I would love to see a list of what is streaming, but I already have Netflix, and Hulu+, the only way you are going to get me to drop one of those is to give me something that replaces them. I mean its cool that they are bundling in some extra channels that no one cares about, but am I missing the "wow" factor somewhere? The way I see it they just offered be a package that is 2-3 bucks more then all of their competitors, with less selection. the only + is its accessible though my 722? someone tell me what I am missing. I was really expecting something cool, like more and better selection, a deal with the big 4 studios, the abilty to not have to use interenet to stream it so that ISP caps don't get in the way. As it stands now, the only people this is cool to would be people already paying the $10 for platinum, who happen to want to rent 1 dvd at a time.

For $10 I'll give it a try and add it to my package but I'm a little disappointed in the title count for streaming. If they expect this to be a success, the count must match the competition and the new titles added has to keep up. Equal features and quality is assumed.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm excited for it. I hope it works as well as advertised. I plan on adding it once it's available.

Scott, so $10 a month for even top 250 which i have and everything pack ? what are they going to do with the dish platinum channels?

From what I am told (waiting on OFFICIAL answer) that Platinum is being renamed the Blockbuster Movie Pass. All channels remain the same... just renamed the package. Only difference now if you can get DVD's in the main at no extra charge. (The streaming movies is already there.)

What about us with top 250 and Platinum package? ty for help and they keep saying top 200 was just wondering about other packages
What about us with top 250 and Platinum package?

They confused people by talking about the top 200 package, this Blockbuster Movie Pass is available in all packages exept the Welcome Pack. However if you are a new customer to DISH and sign up on Oct 1st or later and get AT200 or above the BMP is FREE for a year. Again this is a new customer promotion.

Is it just me or is this a big waste? I don't see how this compels anyone away from netflix, or how it compels people with netflix to also add this service. The only real benefit is you dont NEED an extra box like a roku If you already have dish. But judging by the 3000 titles that you can stream, the selection will be more like amazon primes selection for streaming. I would love to see a list of what is streaming, but I already have Netflix, and Hulu+, the only way you are going to get me to drop one of those is to give me something that replaces them. I mean its cool that they are bundling in some extra channels that no one cares about, but am I missing the "wow" factor somewhere? The way I see it they just offered be a package that is 2-3 bucks more then all of their competitors, with less selection. the only + is its accessible though my 722? someone tell me what I am missing. I was really expecting something cool, like more and better selection, a deal with the big 4 studios, the abilty to not have to use interenet to stream it so that ISP caps don't get in the way. As it stands now, the only people this is cool to would be people already paying the $10 for platinum, who happen to want to rent 1 dvd at a time.

I watched the presentation and I thought I heard one of them say that this will be available to non-subscribers to Dish as well in some manner. If I heard correctly, then I suppose you would need ROKU or something similar.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I do not currently do any streaming. What is the quality of the stream...1080i 5.1... or less? Thanks!

I'm sorry, but adding streaming to Dish's existing service is a big plus just to begin with. Considering it is free for to all new Dish subs (AT 200 and above), this value added set up could be enough to induce those that are on the fence about Dish to subscribe.

Secondly, the offerings will look very compelling if Netflix is unable to renew their Starz agreement before it expires next year. The Starz play offerings tend to be netflix's best streaming offerings for people who do not like older TV series. Through in access to Epix movies streamed via the receiver and they will have a fairly decent mix of new releases. I'd imagine their streaming offerings will only increase over time (especially if they are successful at acquiring Hulu).

Also, not even including the linear tv channels, what service provides streaming, one disc at a time, bluray and video games included for $10/month? How can you say this is $2-3 more than competitors?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)