DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Thanks for the link. I especially enjoyed the following excerpt:

"DISH Net’s claims that AMC's ratings aren’t worth the price of admission are not exactly supported by Nielsen data. The network enjoyed a record first quarter, scaring up an average prime-time audience of 1.23 million viewers and 554,000 adults 18-to-49 on the strength of its original series The Walking Dead. The demo delivery marked a 33 percent improvement from Q1 2011.

Season 2 of The Walking Dead nailed down five of cable’s top 10 deliveries in the quarter. The Feb. 12 episode, which marked the series’ return from a three-month hiatus, delivered 10.7 million viewers, of which 7.26 million were members of the dollar demo.

Among the roster of cable networks that command a much higher carriage fee than AMC but do not deliver comparable ratings are a host of news and sports outlets, including CNN (54 cents), Fox News Channel (78 cents), CNBC (30 cents), NFL Network (73 cents), NHL Network (30 cents) and NBC Sports Network (28 cents). DISH Net carries all six of the aforementioned networks."
+1

Yes, a very convenient comparison. News and Sports? Is that what AMC wishes to be compared to? Fox gets that because in their genre, they are tops in ratings by such a huge amount. AMC is not tops in their genre. Sports we already know are OVER priced. AMC would like to be overpriced like them. And notice, Dish does take a line with sports at least more than other carriers.....

Amen

Yes, a very convenient comparison. News and Sports? Is that what AMC wishes to be compared to? Fox gets that because of their genre, they are tops in ratings by such a huge amount. AMC is not tops in their genre. Sports we already know are OVER priced. AMC would like to be overpriced like them. And notice, Dish does take a line with sports at least more than other carriers.....
The article comes from Adweek, an advertising industry trade publication. I imagine they know what they are talking about when it comes to viewership, demographics, and the various metrics of the broadcasting industry.

But, you guys go ahead and keep arguing about how AMC is trying to blackmail Dish yadda yadda. And, those of us who look at things objectively will continue to weigh the facts surrounding this particular contract "negotiation".

BTW, if Dish is actually paying those quoted amounts for NFL Net, etc, than they are totally full of shiite about their stated reasons for dropping AMC.

Aren't some of those sports channels in a separate package, or maybe the highest package, so those who want them pay for them? Dish has consistently said allow us to separate the sports including (especially) RSN's and we will carry you. They told The NY RSN's the same thing. That's why they pay and carry that list. I don't think AMC wants to go down that road....

I think Dish is kicking their subscribers in the nads again. If They think doing this is going to hurt AMC, they're very sorely mistaken, because viewers will just switch networks, and use direct or uverse or cable to get what they want--if they don't blow off operators at all, and just use the Internet to get all their programming.

Don't get me wrong: I have LOVED dish for a LONG time (12 years?), and I don't really want to change (yes, I know I have uverse now, but I'm not happy with it at all, and I want my dish back); but when I move into my new home in September, if they don't stop these shenanigans (including the corporate and judicial malfeasance), I'll have to take my business elsewhere.

Maybe to the Internet... <_<>_>

The article comes from Adweek, an advertising industry trade publication. I imagine they know what they are talking about when it comes to viewership, demographics, and the various metrics of the broadcasting industry.
No, they actually don't. 30+ years ago, yes. I used to be in the business. But not now. Just a repeater of many sources.

As much as it would disappoint me to lose AMC in all fairness they aren't worth .75c.Of course I also think USA,Fox news,and NFLN,are overpriced as well.Not to mention ESPN.Still it would be nice to know what AMC is actually asking for and,it would have been much better if Charlie hadn't made it all look like a childish game of vindictiveness.

I firmly believe that what each channel charges should be public knowledge.

I will say they just can't be asking for 75 cents, even in the article he acknowledges they won't get that right now. It also involves Dish having to carry the other stations.
And make no mistake, losing AMC is not good for Dish. But I sincerely feel it's worse for AMC. And Dish most certainly has not handled this well. It will be interesting what happens when other contracts are up with other carriers. Just as Direct TV is sitting back waiting to see how Dish fares with the auto hop, so too are carriers to see how they will deal with AMC.

I called the number and a Dish rep answered. He said he would be very unhappy to miss an episode of "The Walking Dead", and that Dish really wants it all to work out.

Of course, for unique programming, there is no channel Dish can substitute for AMC. I might have switched already except D* cannot/will not provide locals in my area. That is why I left them in the first place....

I called the number and a Dish rep answered. He said he would be very unhappy to miss an episode of "The Walking Dead", and that Dish really wants it all to work out.

Of course, for unique programming, there is no channel Dish can substitute for AMC. I might have switched already except D* cannot/will not provide locals in my area. That is why I left them in the first place....

How close are you to your local TV stations? You would be surprised at how good the digital signals are now days. You might be close enough that rabbit ears might work.

If D doesn't carry his locals then there will be no guide even if he can pick them up.

Understand, but he can at least still get them. Will have to wire it up correctly. Will be a pain not going thru his satellite DVR, but better than no locals at all if he decides to switch to D.

Understand, but he can at least still get them. Will have to wire it up correctly. Will be a pain not going thru his satellite DVR, but better than no locals at all if he decides to switch to D.

I can get the locals now OTA - I am splitting from a set-top antenna with one branch into DVR, the other straight to TV. Seems the TV receiver is a bit better than the 722. However, I would not have a DVR for the locals, which is pretty important.

People like me, where I live, are pretty much over a barrel: No broadband unless it is via smartphone/tablet, and then only unreliable 3G. Satellite for locals has improved in the last year or so, but 129 is really weather sensitive. So, no Dish means no local-channel time shifting. No E* or D* means no non-OTA TV at all. No broadband means not really watching anything other than OTA except for Netflix/Redbox/etc. It would be like 1974 all over again....

I can get the locals now OTA - I am splitting from a set-top antenna with one branch into DVR, the other straight to TV. Seems the TV receiver is a bit better than the 722. However, I would not have a DVR for the locals, which is pretty important.

People like me, where I live, are pretty much over a barrel: No broadband unless it is via smartphone/tablet, and then only unreliable 3G. Satellite for locals has improved in the last year or so, but 129 is really weather sensitive. So, no Dish means no local-channel time shifting. No E* or D* means no non-OTA TV at all. No broadband means not really watching anything other than OTA except for Netflix/Redbox/etc. It would be like 1974 all over again....

OK, understand.

Has DISH said what AMC will be replaced with? - - - sorry I have not read the entire thread - - - I will miss it and I've only been with DISH since Feb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)