DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

IMO, it's not the deals they are offering as compensation, but in how Dish goes about "giving" the compensation to it's subs. As I posted in another post, (somewhere in this giant thread,) instead of Dish just saying, "Hey, every sub who lost the 4 channels we dropped this is the how we are going to compensate you subs...Then spell out what the subs will receive, and what the terms & conditions apply. Bang! It's right there for all subs to see. Exactly what Dish is going to do for us...Again, not saying they have to do anything, as you correctly stated.

Trouble is that Dish makes each sub call in and "negotiate" what compensation they can get. This leads to different subs getting different deals. And a lot of that depends on how good the sub is at negotiation or how many "rounds" they want to go. This, IMO, is the frustrating part and this is what leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Again, I agree, by contract Dish doesn't owe us anything, but if Dish is trying to show "good faith" for their actions, then just do it across the board. Don't take away stations, then make us jump though hoops to give us what you're "giving" us.

I now step down from the Soapbox...:D
Ghpr13:)

Like the post but realistically this will never happen. Companies look at offering compensation upfront as ultimately detrimental to a good negotiating strategy. They want you to be motivated enough by the change to go to the trouble of telling THEM what compensation you want on a case-by-case basis, essentially doing first phase of the process for them. Then all they have to do is decide is whether your account warrants the requested compensation based on previous cost analysis. Anything else has the potential to leave money on the table -- something negotiators (and poker players) abhor.

They don't owe us anything for lost channels. "Program is subject to change", right? So don't give me a sob story about any years. Am I happy when they drop channels? No! But they aren't the only game in town, so if I'm mad enough, good bye to them. You can be civil while taking your stand. It's that entitled bull crap that has a lot of the problems we have today. It's sad that the tv is that important.

Hypercritical.

Who is making you read this thread or participate in any discussions? All you are doing is complaining about the complainers.

Fact is Fat Man, we are entitled to piss n' moan. An $130/month DISH bill gives me that right.

OO my god, Dish doesn't have to offer anything. PROGRAM SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE!!!!
So I for one think its nice that they are. How about someone else telling use about another company that has gone to this experience to try and keep their customers happy.

So anyone paying for the AT200, should not complain if they end up paying the same price for the AT196, or the AT189?

The way I see it, I have 4 less channels now than I had back in May.

Did you and Fat Man get anything out of DISH over this??

So anyone paying for the AT200, should not complain if they end up paying the same price for the AT196, or the AT189?

Since you are into counting channels, and apparently if there aren't 250 in the TOP250 or 200 in the TOP200 then Dish owes you, here's a homework assignment. Count the channels in those packages and get back to us. And when you find you have more channels than the package tittle lets have you pay Dish for the extra channels. The way I see it, using your argument, you owe Dish for all this time of them giving you more than the package number of channels.
Before you write that check to Dish, please add the cost for the channels that were added to the package since the last price increase. And wait, please also add the value of any HD channel added that was only SD.

Last edited:
You are taking it to literally. Don't count all the channels. Religious and shopping channels aren't value channels. I have never seen anyone here asking for, or complaining about the loss of a religious channel.

Last edited:
You are taking it to literally. Don't count all the channels. Religious and shopping channels aren't value channels. I have never seen anyone here asking for, or complaining about the loss of a religious channel.
not complaining about the loss of ... but complaining because their curse filter (Tv Guardian?) isn't working properly because the HDMI & Analog outputs aren't in sync ... so I'm sure there are those that value them ...

To the arguement over shopping channels, I've read others say that those shopping channels are paying to be carried on the network. If true, even though you (or I) don't watch them they still are a value in that they'd help keep costs down.

As to the Free Stuff dish is giving away.. wow.. who cares.. it doesn't exactly cover the loss of AMC Programs.

As to my attitude that it costs Dish dearly for this ... its because I've had enough of Dish's negatives. For the whole DRA/DO debacle someone damned near deserves to be shot... a flesh wound mind you nothing deadly ... because they need to learn from their mistakes.. and while harsh .. its no less because of the fact that they (dish) had ample feed back (to the tune of over 17000 feedbacks) for Dish Online on their now closed and defunct Dish/Zendesk site that they *could* have done better and they *did* have the information to make things better.. but only slowly with the path of a sputnik-esq trajectory and still .. they never learned

hopper to hopper was not available on release and this PrimeTimeAnytime bullsh*t ... wonder how long it will be, before they finally allow users to change the time themselves. Personally that time limit was a drawback and loss of a tuner. And have they yet made it seamless for PTA to User space saving of shows that you setup to record with a timer? Or do they still have PTA and a local timer fire at the same time to record shows we want to have saved? ...

Dish doesn't have its mind on "solutions" only options, and in that ... the options are only getting served with a half-hearted ability.

Think of the numbers.. 120 to 180 dollars per user that complains and gets 10 off a month, or 10 off plus the roku ... 100 users is 18200 dollars ... 1000 users 182000 ... etc... would be nice to see that toll climb.

not complaining about the loss of ... but complaining because their curse filter (Tv Guardian?) isn't working properly because the HDMI & Analog outputs aren't in sync ... so I'm sure there are those that value them ...

To the arguement over shopping channels, I've read others say that those shopping channels are paying to be carried on the network. If true, even though you (or I) don't watch them they still are a value in that they'd help keep costs down.

As to the Free Stuff dish is giving away.. wow.. who cares.. it doesn't exactly cover the loss of AMC Programs.

As to my attitude that it costs Dish dearly for this ... its because I've had enough of Dish's negatives. For the whole DRA/DO debacle someone damned near deserves to be shot... a flesh wound mind you nothing deadly ... because they need to learn from their mistakes.. and while harsh .. its no less because of the fact that they (dish) had ample feed back (to the tune of over 17000 feedbacks) for Dish Online on their now closed and defunct Dish/Zendesk site that they *could* have done better and they *did* have the information to make things better.. but only slowly with the path of a sputnik-esq trajectory and still .. they never learned

hopper to hopper was not available on release and this PrimeTimeAnytime bullsh*t ... wonder how long it will be, before they finally allow users to change the time themselves. Personally that time limit was a drawback and loss of a tuner. And have they yet made it seamless for PTA to User space saving of shows that you setup to record with a timer? Or do they still have PTA and a local timer fire at the same time to record shows we want to have saved? ...

Dish doesn't have its mind on "solutions" only options, and in that ... the options are only getting served with a half-hearted ability.

Think of the numbers.. 120 to 180 dollars per user that complains and gets 10 off a month, or 10 off plus the roku ... 100 users is 18200 dollars ... 1000 users 182000 ... etc... would be nice to see that toll climb.
LOL. Were your ears just burning???

...Think of the numbers.. 120 to 180 dollars per user that complains and gets 10 off a month, or 10 off plus the roku ... 100 users is 18200 dollars ... 1000 users 182000 ... etc... would be nice to see that toll climb.

personally, I won't help make that number climb...

demsd said:
Hypercritical.

Who is making you read this thread or participate in any discussions? All you are doing is complaining about the complainers.

Fact is Fat Man, we are entitled to piss n' moan. An $130/month DISH bill gives me that right.

Did you and Fat Man get anything out of DISH over this??

Dish only guarantees 200 channels, of which, even without amc's channels, still leaves over 200 channels....

Just saying.

TG2 said:

Do you know anything about the Hopper system or do you just want to spout off nonsense not based in current reality? I don't mind a good rant, but at least limit yourself to complaints that are based on fact.

Hopper integration was not available at release, but they made that clear. No one was forced to upgrade to a Hopper in March, people did have the option of waiting for that feature. It exists in a basic form now (with more features to roll out in the future).

PTAT is not a waste of a tuner. It is enabled by the user. If the user values it, boom, they turn it on. If not, they leave it off and can do whatever they want with all the tuners on the Hopper. It certainly isn't bullsh*t to those that have chosen to use it. PTAT transfer to the user partition for user initiated DVR timers has been seamless for months. I've had the system since a week after release, but I honestly can't recall if it was seamless by the time I installed or if that was rolled out within a couple of days of having the system. Either way timing wise, it's been a home run for quite a while now.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about the Hopper system or do you just want to spout off nonsense not based in current reality? I don't mind a good rant, but at least limit yourself to complaints that are based on fact.

Hopper integration was not available at release, but they made that clear. No one was forced to upgrade to a Hopper in March, people did have the option of waiting for that feature. It exists in a basic form now (with more features to roll out in the future).

PTAT is not a waste of a tuner. It is enabled by the user. If the user values it, boom, they turn it on. If not, they leave it off and can do whatever they want with all the tuners on the Hopper. It certainly isn't bullsh*t to those that have chosen to use it. PTAT transfer to the user partition for user initiated DVR timers has been seamless for months. I've had the system since a week after release, but I honestly can't recall if it was seamless by the time I installed or if that was rolled out within a couple of days of having the system. Either way timing wise, it's been a home run for quite a while ow.
Why bother and let the facts get in the way.

Wow, I have been a member for some time now, really can't remember a subject taking as many turns as this AMC thread

I have never seen anyone here asking for, or complaining about the loss of a religious channel.
You obviously never worked for a cable or satellite company. One of the channels my community access station provides is EWTN on a "spare" channel that during the school year is used by the local schools from 8am to 4 pm. We get blasted with calls every August when the first educational program for the schools hits the channel. And later on through the year, if there is a glitch preventing the channel from switching back to EWTN at 4pm we get another flood of calls. And we only directly serve 20k households.

Just because YOU don't care about a channel doesn't mean others don't. HSN and QVC are have a larger audience than 90% of cable channels out there. There are no official numbers because they only care about sales. They sold over $8 BILLION in merchandise to "no one" in 2011.

demsd said:
Hypercritical.

To start, I didn't realize we live in the Soviet Union, where you are forced to pay for that one product at that one price. The only people that I'm used to seeing piss and moan like that are those who are miserable in their own lives and try to lash out at others whenever they get the chance. Which, brings me to my next point. I wasn't complaining about complainers. I was speaking out against people who call CSRs and just yell or type an angry message, demanding everything under the sun. These are the people who do it without any reason other than they feel slighted due to a dropped channel. If you are paying a $130 for AMC and only AMC, can you help me out with my mortgage? I wasn't being hypocritical at all. Again, whining here is one thing, treating a stranger like crap because you can't see a tv channel where they didn't mistreat you first, is exactly one of the major problems with our society.

Edit: Addition:
I did take the free offer, since you wanted to know. However, I didn't yell at the CSR or Loyalty rep to get it. All I said was, I heard that there was an offer for a free Roku and asked if I qualified for it. Turns out my wife watched AMC and WE. I wasn't aware of it as we work opposite shifts twice a week and while my weekend is the traditional Saturday and Sunday, she works Saturday and has Monday off. When we are together, we tend not to watch tv.

Last edited:
I used to get MSG. I don't remember any memorable Boxing matches. Wasn't some of their matches also on the Fox Sports, Comcast Sports, and Root Sports Regionals?

In general MSG didn't have the big names in boxing, although there are some exceptions. But a good boxing match is a good boxing match even if it is a new up and coming young boxer or an old veteran that is still hanging around. Both can and often do perform very well. And for true boxing fans, it is the quality of the match as much as the name on the marqee!

And yes, some of their fights would show up later on other sports channels.

That's why I like MSG and some other lesser known sports channels, and even some of the bigger channels. For instance, these days Showtime not only has ShoBox, which is to show off some new fighters, and Showtime Championship Boxing, but has added the undercard fights on Showtime Extreme for Showtime Championship boxing (and UFC as well).

Clearly then you don't know about the INSP situation with Dish and the GodTV issue with Direct. Talk about pissy people. So yea...

Last edited:
lparsons21 said:
In general MSG didn't have the big names in boxing, although there are some exceptions. But a good boxing match is a good boxing match even if it is a new up and coming young boxer or an old veteran that is still hanging around. Both can and often do perform very well. And for true boxing fans, it is the quality of the match as much as the name on the marqee!

And yes, some of their fights would show up later on other sports channels.

That's why I like MSG and some other lesser known sports channels, and even some of the bigger channels. For instance, these days Showtime not only has ShoBox, which is to show off some new fighters, and Showtime Championship Boxing, but has added the undercard fights on Showtime Extreme for Showtime Championship boxing (and UFC as well).

I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.