FaxUpdate April 1, 2005: VOOM Shutdown Could Be Announced As Early As Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
rocatman:
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like using AMC6 alone is feasible. Perhaps Dolan is trying hard to get Rainbow-1 because it would be better to have both sats but even if he can't get it, it is not a deal breaker.

I really don't want to know any of this. I really don't. We made it past midnight and I want it to go for a while.

Jamey K said:
Now we have to sweat out a May 1 deadline.
Don't worry. We live in a time extension, life has a deadline and we don't know it until we die. Be life and VOOM enjoyed while they last!!! :p :D

Walter L. said:
There's nothing to stop. niceprophet was trying to make a point which I initially didn't get so I asked. Then he explained his point. What's wrong with that?
Not a thing. Point and counterpoint. Fair enough...not necessarily enough to change anybody's mind, but honest and open on both parties part.

Face it ALL, there is enough "between the lines" reading to support ANY point of view...mine, today (and for a long time), is that I'm still getting a signal...and I'll leave it up to the real players to determine what the outcome will be...not that I would have any choice, anyway.

Whether anyone in play comes forward immediately and says anything, about anything...it's a fact that those of us who are fortunate enough to be VoOming today will have the first opportunity to break the news if something definitive happens.

As for myself...between Terry Schiavo, the Pope, and VoOm...I've had enough "death watches" for a while...I'm out of here...at least until I hear back about Danielle's install status...or my name is called out again by what I consider "questionable" sources, whichever comes first.

Chill out and enjoy VoOm if you have it...knowing you'll be among the first to know any outcomes; or chill out and wait until you can rightfully claim victory...if that ever happens.

Just my opinions....Still hopeful, and more importantly...to me at least...still Watching VoOm...Vicki :D

Walter L. said:
Don't worry guys. This is just SatBizNews' April Fool's joke :D
It's no joke. While we may not like the story nor agree with their interpretation of the facts, these guys do have their contacts and facts about meetings and such are usually very accurate. I just wanted to add, the gentlemen at SatBizNews are doing all the leg work and are proving us, The VOOM Forum, with as much information about VOOM as possible. This is strictly a professional courtesy due to the pending situation and I, for one, certainly appreciate the timely info.

If it means anything to anyone i actually had a tech finally show up and fix my Voom, this has been an issue since december, i have a signal of 96 and the pic is great, im wondering if this could be a prank on me ??? get my voom working and then just shut it down ???? hmmm conpiracy theories abound.
with it being april fools day and all i just want to make sean and the others who have heard my rants about voom and no shows that my voom is really working this time and this is not a joke.

txdude said:
I'm glad this is a joke... I was already thinking of ways we could kill the bird (Rainbow-I) so that E* can't use it. If voOmers can't have it, I sure don't want anyone else enjoying it :dev

Edit: I'll keep working on this plan just incase :no

Many years ago some BUD guy actually did this to HBO when it first started scrambling its signal. Didn't last long and neither did he.

I don't understand why the board hasn't been meeting. If Dolan has stacked the board in his favor, why don't they meet and get a deal worked out even if the whole Rainbow 1 deal is still up in the air?

If it's going to take the FCC a while anyway to make a decision on the satellite frequencies, why not get a deal made where Dolan actually owns Voom, and THEN concentrate on what the FCC and Ergen are going to do?

Can't they continue to use Rainbow1 while the FCC is making their decision, which might be several months anyway?

It just doesn't make sense that the board hasn't got together by now and decided something.

After all this, will Voom go out with a whimper instead of a bang?

It's just too depressing to think about that satellite going from being used for the most HD programming of anyone (by far) to being used for international programming and horribly compressed SD locals. What an utter waste, and what a step back for current technology. At least Ergen will be happy, even if his customers won't.

ChrisDuncan said:
It's just too depressing to think about that satellite going from being used for the most HD programming of anyone (by far) to being used for international programming and horribly compressed SD locals. What an utter waste, and what a step back for current technology.

It would be far too ironic if Voom goes dark only to have the FCC subsequently rule that the sale of Rainbow 1 cannot go through. How much borrowed time do we have left? This is getting me depressed too :mad: I think I'll go watch something in HD.

I hate to say it but some of the media reports expect the FCC to approval the transfer of frequencies to Echostar. I hope they are wrong.

That's why I can't see why they put in all this effort to petition the FCC to just shut Voom down without waiting for their decision. It seems like that may be a last ditch effort, but if Voom just goes dark before the FCC decides anything, then what was the point?

If he shuts it down (assuming he has a choice) before the FCC comes to any decision, then he won't really have tried that route. Again, what is the point of that?

Sean Mota said:
So you think the transmittion power will be the same or equal by compensating with a bigger customer dish. With 16 Tps in AMC-6 could they do the 30+ HD channels as it is in R-1 right now.
I really don't think so. If AMC-6 had that much bandwidth, we would have been there a long time ago. JMO.

Wayne

gutter said:
I hate to say it but some of the media reports expect the FCC to approval the transfer of frequencies to Echostar. I hope they are wrong.

Don't worry, that is when THE PLAN comes into play :dev We will see who has the last laugh the FCC, E* or 46,000 angry voOm subscribers with super highpowered lasers and the exact coordinates of Rainbow-I. :haha :haha :haha :haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts