finally got my 6 ft dish setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Feeds that disappear make it near impossible to tell where you are. I have a feeling you're on H2 at 74 as it does not have any 24/7 TP's. Really have to find a 24/7 TP to know where you are. (Even if the freq is reported incorrectly, because of incorrect programming) If you haven't moved the dish since those channels disappeared (in your last pics) do a blind scan. sr 3977 looks popular on 72w

I've moved it cause I am hooking up my g box.is how far out is my actuator supposed to be out at my zenith

Yep! your on 74w Horizon. Did a scan and came up with what you got The Tp that LAk7 mentioned above is the NBC Mux channels that are just about always there on AMC6 72w ku PS good Progress! your on your way now!!

Last edited:
There is no "rule" about the Arm Position.
First, be sure you are somewhat close to the Arc - C Band.

What I do is retract the Arm all the way, then drive it out about 1 inch, then loosen the clamp and slide the Arm down until I hit the lowest Sat in the West.
You must be careful when extending the Arm back, make sure it does / will not hit any part of the Mount

Ill be trying to tune again later.I have to run to home depot to get some more sprinkler wire I'm 10 feet short. I did wire it up and checked my gbox before I buried it. Is there a special way to splice these wires together so water doesn't get them.

I would not bury a splice, might be best to just buy a new cable - the few dollars more might be worth it
Did you bury PVC Pipe, or just the cable?

It was the real thick 18 gauge sprinkler wire you bury in the ground with that thick jacket and where it joins is gonna be under the house.I haven't moved my dish left or right since I found 74w. I just drive the dish back to the zenith spot to fix the actuator on the dish right.if I was at 74 I should be able to just drive the dish easy further to get a lock on 72 right.I was so excited to get a pic yesterday and that hd channel I picked up looked great. I originally was thinking id be able to get 72w at my zenith that's why I never found anything until fatair gave me that tip.it all become clear 72 wasn't my true south and 76.whatever it was will always be my true south sat. There is no way id would have ever found 72. I kept looking at dishpointer and it lined up just like I had it and it puzzled me. Once you get your setting and you kind of line it up with your true south sat. You don't the azmith at zenith again. Your start turning the dish to find a satellite then you can fudge it a little. Then once I'm on the arc I check my declination. If I'm wrong on stuff let me know lol. Anyway I'm off too home depot to get a few washers some wire and a grounding wire. How do I ground the coax wire?

How far off on cband can you be a get a signal? Heck I never thought my first signals I grabbed would be ku band

if I was at 74 I should be able to just drive the dish easy further to get a lock on 72 right.
Yes. Since you don't have a Sat located at your Long, you just have to take your time tweaking.
What I would do is.......
Drive the Dish to it's highest point - look at the back of the mount, see that everything lines up
Take a couple pieces of Masking Tape, place 1 horizontally on the pole, and the other directly above it on the Mount - make a Reference Mark on Pole and Mount with Pen (so you can return if the following does not work)
In the Receiver, setup AMC 6 Ku, and select / enter the NBC TP: 12053 V 6890
If no Quality reading, loosen the Mount Bolts just enough to make Azimuth Adjustment - do not drive the Dish
- 2 degrees is about 1/16th inch, so slowly, very slowly twist the Dish to the East and West, watching for a Lock on the NBC TP
- When you get a lock, make a new reference Mark, on Pole and Mount (you may need to drop the Elevation 1 degree)
Next, in the Receiver, set up AMC 9 Ku, and select the RTN TP: 11735 H 4440
- When you get a lock, make a new reference Mark, this time just on the Mount
- Adjust the Mount Azimuth to split the Difference between the the AMC6 and AMC9 marks - that should get you close to the proper Azimuth
Again, do this with out driving the Dish.

Tighten up the Mount bolts, and triple check that Mount is Plumb, and Elevation is correct.
You should then be able to Drive the Dish and hit those 2 Sats.

When tweaking, keep it simple....
Start with C Band - Pick 2 Sats that are about the Same distance East and West of your Location (Longitude) say Amazonas 1 @ 61west and Galaxy 17 at 91west - be sure to use known Hot Transponders
Only Adjust the Azimuth and Elevation until Sats on either side need the Same Adjustment, then adjust the Declination

Keep in mind that with every adjustment, the GBox Position number will change slightly
Tweaking your first Dish will take 10 times longer than you think.

If the wire is under the house I wouldn't worry about the splice as much. Heat shrinkable tubing will probably do the trick. You could always wrap it in electrical tape after you use the heat shrink. Keeping moisture out is the key...It becomes an issue when you bury it....Blind

How do I ground the coax wire?
You'd mount a "GROUND BLOCK" on or near the dish and run the coax from the lnb to it, then to the receiver. Ideally, there would also be a GROUND ROD buried close to the dish, that is also wired to the ground block and dish pole. ( if the mount pole is buried, I think the "CODE" still requires a ground rod. )
DO NOT install another ground block, or ground, inside the house.
Surge supressor power strip, yes. I also put a loop in wires just before they enter the house, and loop the power cord and coax of my receiver going to the suppressor strip.
If there are any unused wires that run from the inside to outside, ground them at the dish/ground block/ground rod ONLY. Never inside the house.

Attachments

• GROUND.jpg
    GROUND.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 181
Lak7 said:
Yes. Since you don't have a Sat located at your Long, you just have to take your time tweaking.
What I would do is.......
Drive the Dish to it's highest point - look at the back of the mount, see that everything lines up
Take a couple pieces of Masking Tape, place 1 horizontally on the pole, and the other directly above it on the Mount - make a Reference Mark on Pole and Mount with Pen (so you can return if the following does not work)
In the Receiver, setup AMC 6 Ku, and select / enter the NBC TP: 12053 V 6890
If no Quality reading, loosen the Mount Bolts just enough to make Azimuth Adjustment - do not drive the Dish
- 2 degrees is about 1/16th inch, so slowly, very slowly twist the Dish to the East and West, watching for a Lock on the NBC TP
- When you get a lock, make a new reference Mark, on Pole and Mount (you may need to drop the Elevation 1 degree)
Next, in the Receiver, set up AMC 9 Ku, and select the RTN TP: 11735 H 4440
- When you get a lock, make a new reference Mark, this time just on the Mount
- Adjust the Mount Azimuth to split the Difference between the the AMC6 and AMC9 marks - that should get you close to the proper Azimuth
Again, do this with out driving the Dish.

Tighten up the Mount bolts, and triple check that Mount is Plumb, and Elevation is correct.
You should then be able to Drive the Dish and hit those 2 Sats.

When tweaking, keep it simple....
Start with C Band - Pick 2 Sats that are about the Same distance East and West of your Location (Longitude) say Amazonas 1 @ 61west and Galaxy 17 at 91west - be sure to use known Hot Transponders
Only Adjust the Azimuth and Elevation until Sats on either side need the Same Adjustment, then adjust the Declination

Keep in mind that with every adjustment, the GBox Position number will change slightly
Tweaking your first Dish will take 10 times longer than you think.

If I'm trying to get 72w wouldn't I have to drive the drive the dish a little so the lnb is skewed a bit. Fatair said to maybe go to the east about 7 degrees or so.

wouldn't I have to drive the drive the dish a little so the lnb is skewed a bit
You should first get your Azimuth set close. Then when you drive the Dish, the skew will be automatically set. You LNBF is about 2.5" diameter, 1 degree skew is about .02", 7 degrees is about 1/8 inch - you should still get a pretty strong signal.

For a GBox, you set the Receiver for Diseqc 1.2 Motor.
I would just use the GBox Remote until you have the Dish close.

Last edited:
Since you are just starting to use a gbox and in the beginning stages of finding satellites i would keep the motor setting on the receiver off and use just the g-box with its remote to move your dish and store satellites till you know the dish is tracking satellites on the arc correctly.After your pretty sure the dish set up is working well and have a bunch of satellites stored on the g-box i would then think of using the receiver to do the work of controling the g-box and dish.

Ok guys update I rechecked stuff lined my dish true south put it on the nbc mux on 72 w and bumped the gbox east a bit and boom it lit up.I scanned sure enough I had the four nbc mux (msnbc weather channel) I then put it on the cband side and scanned and the ion networks showed up there ill post some pics in a few

Here is the pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110311_150254.png
    ForumRunner_20110311_150254.png
    300 KB · Views: 182
  • ForumRunner_20110311_150321.png
    ForumRunner_20110311_150321.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20110311_150338.png
    ForumRunner_20110311_150338.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 186
  • ForumRunner_20110311_150409.png
    ForumRunner_20110311_150409.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 181
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts