Good Points And Bad Points After The Software Update (Are you Targeted?)

stupid questions

Okay- I've read everything and I can't seem to gleen the answer to this- do you need to leave the box on at night or can you turn it off? And people mention standby mode- what is that? Some nights I turn the box off from the remote, and the next day when I turn on the PG is all messed up and takes 30-45 minutes to load with the info. If I leave it on and just turn the TV off, no PG problems. What does everyone else do? And what should I do to ensure the new software loads? And do I need the phone line plugged in? Do I ever need it plugged in? Basic questions that I've seen a few people ask, but they've never been answered, at least not that I can tell. Thanks! -Dan

dtilton said:
Okay- I've read everything and I can't seem to gleen the answer to this- do you need to leave the box on at night or can you turn it off? And people mention standby mode- what is that? Some nights I turn the box off from the remote, and the next day when I turn on the PG is all messed up and takes 30-45 minutes to load with the info. If I leave it on and just turn the TV off, no PG problems. What does everyone else do? And what should I do to ensure the new software loads? And do I need the phone line plugged in? Do I ever need it plugged in? Basic questions that I've seen a few people ask, but they've never been answered, at least not that I can tell. Thanks! -Dan

I guess it does not matter whether you leave the box on/off to get the download. I had mine off when I got the download. You don't need a phone line to be connected for the software upgrade.

dtilton said:
And people mention standby mode- what is that?
OFF and STANDBY is the same thing. Just don't unplug it! :)
And do I need the phone line plugged in? Do I ever need it plugged in?
Not needed now, but will be required in the future.

New software fix will be here "likely" Wednesday, 3/31/04:

1) Changing channels while a channel map is being acquired (OTA or SAT) will cause an immediate crash.

2) Using the INFO button to pull up the half-screen program description overwrites memory, causing a later crash.

You might want to avoid the above. We believe that #2 above is what is causing the majority of problems in the field. At this point, we have not been able to reproduce the symptom with any other popup (SurfBar etc seems fine), but now that Moto knows what to look for we will inspect all other popup-rendering routines for similar defect, just to be safe.

We expect to have an engineering build sometime Monday with fixes to #1 and #2 above that we will flash into lab units and test.

We also have simple/safe fixes in progress for defects related to the following:

3) System Status screens not displaying number of sat and ota channels.

4) When a program is "blacked out" in an area, the black out works for the intended channel however the popup stays up on the first channel change. A second channel change removes the popup restoring normal operation.

5) DVI flashing every several seconds.

At this point I am planning on build of beta download including all above items ASAP, likely Wed.

Sounds good.

I've been avoiding the voom button lately and have had very few crashes. I use the info button to bring up the info but to back out of the half screen info I use the channel surf buttons.

First time I hit the Voom button tonight I got the crash with the little picture in the top right. Other than that everything has been smooth.

keno said:
New software fix will be here "likely" Wednesday, 3/31/04:

1) Changing channels while a channel map is being acquired (OTA or SAT) will cause an immediate crash.

2) Using the INFO button to pull up the half-screen program description overwrites memory, causing a later crash.

You might want to avoid the above. We believe that #2 above is what is causing the majority of problems in the field. At this point, we have not been able to reproduce the symptom with any other popup (SurfBar etc seems fine), but now that Moto knows what to look for we will inspect all other popup-rendering routines for similar defect, just to be safe.

We expect to have an engineering build sometime Monday with fixes to #1 and #2 above that we will flash into lab units and test.

We also have simple/safe fixes in progress for defects related to the following:

3) System Status screens not displaying number of sat and ota channels.

4) When a program is "blacked out" in an area, the black out works for the intended channel however the popup stays up on the first channel change. A second channel change removes the popup restoring normal operation.

5) DVI flashing every several seconds.

At this point I am planning on build of beta download including all above items ASAP, likely Wed.

Posts should be attributed to the source, e.g., Wilt on yahoogroups.

It was also stated that Wed was a beta, meaning not a broad download to all users. Let's keep expectations in check.

You may still report on this thread. I am not sticking it anymore since I believe the software upgrade was stopped until we get the new one that has the fixes. It will be wise to create another one when the fix starts downloading again.

I have had to switch my video connection from DVI to Component due
to random losses of picture on DVI. I was able to tell that it was a total
loss of picture signal because my Pioneer 1110 displays a status window
each time this would occur. This is really a shame as the DVI does yield
better picture quality. I never had this problem before the new software
was loaded. I guess I will settle for less in hopes of a fix soon.
Good thing I am on the lease program. If this continues for long I can
just bail.

I have been targeted since Friday. Are you guys saying the software updates will not be going forward? I still have v00.05.08. CSR told me the call center just got hit this morning. I would actually trust this forum over a CSR.

cyuhnke said:
I have been targeted since Friday. Are you guys saying the software updates will not be going forward? I still have v00.05.08. CSR told me the call center just got hit this morning. I would actually trust this forum over a CSR.

I think it is safe to assume that all software updates were put on hold until the new patches are released that resolve a lot of the issues with this latest version.

I was targeted since last Friday. This evening I decided to see if unplugging the receiver and restarting it would initiate the download. It did. I got my download about 10 minutes later.

Derek

Well if the software download were put on hold you could have fooled me. Just after midnight last night I was watching Operation Crossbow when suddenly I lost my picture and up comes a diagnostic screen. After about 15 min it finished and I got my picture back and the box is now 5.5C. So appearently they are still sending out the buggy code.

Bill

This DVI flashing problem is this just a few isolated cased or mass problem?...I have a 42xbr950 and 50xbr950 plasma from sony and I have the new software and get no flashes at all.

coopertwist said:
This DVI flashing problem is this just a few isolated cased or mass problem?...I have a 42xbr950 and 50xbr950 plasma from sony and I have the new software and get no flashes at all.

It is a mass problem. It is random and feel lucky if you have not seen it but it might come up at any time.

Anyone else have this problem since the upgrade?

I'm still having problems with my Va-Va-Voom service, in particular, channel mapping. I have the following channels not coming up for me:
206 - should be HB02W, I'm getting Discovery
226 - should be MMAXW, Im' getting CNBC
261 - should be StarzHD, I'm getting BravoHD
262 - should be StarzHDP, I'm getting an "Upgrade - Call Voom" screen

I live in Baltimore, MD 21236 and everything else is comig in as it should. I have some poor picture quality on channels 509 (Comedy Central), 510 (A&E),
513 (E!) and 520 (Spike). I've been calling VOOM on several occaisions and finally spoke with a Supervisor. Apparently, this is a know issue and they are working on it. I've had this problem ever since I was upgraded to 5.5C.
Is ANYONE else experiencing this? I've tried several options I've read about here, including the polarity tuning, etc.. Nothing has changed. I'm getting pretty fed up with all the problems I've been having since I initially signed up.
The lockups are getting more frequent, picture quality varies from night to night, etc. Can anyone give me any more advice on how to take care of this channel issue and the other problems in general? Or will I just have to wait until the next firmware upgrade???

Thanks
Dave

Dawson9 said:
I'm still having problems with my Va-Va-Voom service, in particular, channel mapping. I have the following channels not coming up for me:
206 - should be HB02W, I'm getting Discovery
226 - should be MMAXW, Im' getting CNBC
261 - should be StarzHD, I'm getting BravoHD
262 - should be StarzHDP, I'm getting an "Upgrade - Call Voom" screen

I had this problem and it was because the diplexor that was installed was incorrect. So you have a problem on your roof with either the LNB, diplexor or switch. Call voom and have them send someone to fix the problem.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)