Great News - Voom Is Here To Stay!!

Jeffdbs said:
Will VOOM sign a deal with Dish Network just like SkyAngel has a deal with Dish Network on 61.5?

Probably not, but Ergen will make them a deal on a satellite, transponder licenses and up-link center for $250M. ;)

NightRyder

Sean Mota said:
Ok, let me take my statement back. I was getting confused information. The saviour is Dolan and there's not more information than this. How is he going to finance everything is the question now but for now enjoy the good news. VOOM is alive 21 days after Rainbow 1 sale.
maybe they will sell the NYC railyards back to NYC for 1 bil.before buying it for 600 mil and the jets will pay 2 bil!! wow this gets better and better :)as long as i have my VOOM i am happy

branchbouncer
"Let's all post something positive for awhile,the more providers that are out there makes the market good for all,the best of luck to the Dolans,at least 2 of them,this man has a dream(I'am sure money is involved)but it takes people like this to make things happen ,if we sit around and wait for the FCC to get things rolling it will get pushed on for ever and they will always find a excuse for not delivering more HD content,let the locals do more analog for 2 more years--4more years---8 more years remember Clinton(nothing against him)medical insurance for all--Go Charles Dolan---I don't have much,but if I felt that 1000.00 would get things straight--got the pen and the check book--send me the address--it's on it's way and I won't be a leach--I'll keep paying my bill.
Ever been to a 5 star resturant where the main course is a rib,carrot,beet,radish,and some sauce dribbled around the edge for 60.00--Go VOOM "

Exactly.

I have read somewhere I believe where it was said that C at Dish and C at Voom were friends and if they couldnt merge maybe this was thier way of scratching each others back. Who knows but I do know the more choices we have the better we all will be in the long haul.

Well well weel... I said this would happen 3 weeks ago. I told you all there is a Santa Claus and he was coming to save Voom. Guess what? It's Christmass morning and the milk and cookies are gone!

Dolan

Amen Brother put him in the Street i hope it does happen lets cross are fingers how dare he stand up to his father what a punk. :D

Kewl! :clap I get to keep my Voom.

Okay, with a plan to keep Voom in business, wouldn't this be a reason for the FCC to deny transfer of the frequencies to Echostar? Or did Echostar actually withdraw that request?

It sounds like the FCC would not deny the sale of a satellite asset regardless, but there are more options open to Dolan if he can get the frequencies along with Voom.

Hope the subscriber numbers show a good increase so Dolan has a shot at getting additional investors to sign on so he can shore up the financing.

- jame

Ergan doesn't do well with the FCC. He could get denied. Then Dolan may get the whole ball of wax. With Dolan owner, he may work a deal with Ergan to sell the HD exclusives to Dish, as in license for non exclusive rights, giving E* a programming edge over D*. I can visualize some fancy quid pro quo going on and everyone's right, the drama is great but the bottom line is Voomer's are all still enjoying great HD content variety that outsiders are all missing.

Personally, I better start looking at doing some tree trimming. :( Need to for 2005 Hurricane season but this may give me added incentive if I need to swing the dish around to another orbital slot.

Don Landis said:
Personally, I better start looking at doing some tree trimming. :( Need to for 2005 Hurricane season but this may give me added incentive if I need to swing the dish around to another orbital slot.

Oh let's not even go there. My lot and neighborhood are packed with pines. There was a narrow little opening that lets me get a good view of 61.5 from my detached garage. There's not many other openings like that without getting rid of a whole bunch of 60' trees.

More details.

Source

Cablevision Signs Letter of Intent to Divest Rainbow DBS Assets and Liabilities
Thursday February 10, 5:56 pm ET

BETHPAGE, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 10, 2005--Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC - News) today announced that it has signed a letter of intent under which VOOM HD, LLC, a new private company formed by certain holders of Cablevision Class B Common Stock, including Charles Dolan and Tom Dolan, will acquire the business, assets and liabilities of Cablevision's Rainbow DBS satellite business not included in Cablevision's definitive agreement with EchoStar announced January 20, 2005.

In consideration, VOOM HD will assume and indemnify Cablevision against substantially all of the liabilities of the Rainbow DBS satellite business existing at the closing or thereafter incurred. For Cablevision, the transaction will allow it to avoid various shutdown costs and other liabilities of the VOOM service which it would have incurred had it proceeded with its original plan to shut down the service. Cablevision will incur certain severance costs in connection with the transaction. VOOM HD is in the process of securing financing to support the ongoing operations of the business and anticipates having that financing in place by the close of the transaction. The parties' obligations under the letter of intent are subject to the execution of a definitive agreement by February 28, 2005.

"We're pleased to have an understanding that will permit us to continue VOOM's state-of-the-art service for its customers," said Tom Dolan of VOOM HD. "VOOM has met with critical acclaim and strong enthusiasm among its customers, and VOOM HD is committed to providing the necessary resources to continue building the largest and broadest selection of HD and standard definition programming available."

VOOM will acquire Cablevision's interest in the VOOM 21 high-definition channels that are currently carried exclusively by Rainbow DBS, various Ka-Band, Ku-Band and MVDDS licenses, the SES Americom lease on the Rainbow 2 satellite, existing customer agreements and other VOOM-related assets.

A committee of Cablevision's Board of Directors consisting of independent directors negotiated the letter of intent for Cablevision. The transaction is contingent on the Board's approval of the definitive agreement. There can be no assurance that a definitive agreement will be entered into or that the transaction will be consummated.

jame_g said:
Oh let's not even go there. My lot and neighborhood are packed with pines. There was a narrow little opening that lets me get a good view of 61.5 from my detached garage. There's not many other openings like that without getting rid of a whole bunch of 60' trees.

I was without power for 7 days during the last hurricane :( You know after the 3rd day, the water is really cold comin from a hot water heater. brrrrrrrrr

Indy said:
Well well weel... I said this would happen 3 weeks ago. I told you all there is a Santa Claus and he was coming to save Voom. Guess what? It's Christmass morning and the milk and cookies are gone!

It's like "STAR TREK" cancelled after a short run But the "loyal" fans made it live long and prosper

Santa has mined lots of coal, too!

Indy said:

Yep, Indy, you were right...and I was too, sort of...told you it would be Paul Harvey coming to tell us the REST of the story because Santa was busy mining coal! :yes

ne1cool said:
Thanks lady!! My name is actually Paul!
I was looking for a reincarnation of Paul Harvey (I actually thought he was dead!), and this Paul works just fine for me!!! (especially since he considers me a "lady"!) :)

We Mediums cannot always be 100% exact. :D Vicki

rang1995 said:
It's like "STAR TREK" cancelled after a short run But the "loyal" fans made it live long and prosper

Yup, and Star Trek is about to be cancelled again...

BFG said:
You will need a new dish and lnb, the current dishes will not work. Which is going to cost voom some more money, putting them further in the hole and without the funding of cablevision.
Woo-hoo! Bring it on! :clap

Congrats ...

The drama isn't over yet. Voom HD still has to secure financing and get the definitive agreement from the Cablevision board. But FINALLY there is real word of a plan in the works -- not rumors and guesses.

This is a real good deal for Cablevision to do what they started on January 20th ... to get OUT of the DBS business. These two deals (R1, licenses and uplink center to E* and the rest to VoomHD) effectively does that COMPLETE with covering their losses. This is the best thing that could happen for Cablevision. (Other than Voom being a success and bringing in money while they still owned it.)

Once the final hurdles have been cleared (financing and definitive agreement) there will be a lot to celebrate. But congrats on having a plan.

JL

jame_g said:
Okay, with a plan to keep Voom in business, wouldn't this be a reason for the FCC to deny transfer of the frequencies to Echostar? Or did Echostar actually withdraw that request?

It sounds like the FCC would not deny the sale of a satellite asset regardless, but there are more options open to Dolan if he can get the frequencies along with Voom.

As an E* subscriber, I'm going to chime in here.

I think this sale, if anything, increases the likelihood of the FCC approving the sale to Charlie Ergen. Remember, the Dish/DirecTV merger was scuttled because the FCC didn't want one company monopolizing satellite TV. Before this news came out today, Ergen could plausibly argue that the market had determined there was no room for a third satellite provider. So the FCC couldn't really determine that the sale would harm competition.

Now that, apparently, there is still room for that third provider, the FCC has even less of a basis for opposing this sale on competitive grounds. I'm sure that someone--perhaps Dolan, perhaps the FCC--will insist on keeping the VOOM channels lit on the old bird until they can be transitioned to the new one.

justalurker said:
The drama isn't over yet. Voom HD still has to secure financing and get the definitive agreement from the Cablevision board. But FINALLY there is real word of a plan in the works -- not rumors and guesses.

This is a real good deal for Cablevision to do what they started on January 20th ... to get OUT of the DBS business. These two deals (R1, licenses and uplink center to E* and the rest to VoomHD) effectively does that COMPLETE with covering their losses. This is the best thing that could happen for Cablevision. (Other than Voom being a success and bringing in money while they still owned it.)

Once the final hurdles have been cleared (financing and definitive agreement) there will be a lot to celebrate. But congrats on having a plan.

JL

LOl are you sure this is "good" for cablevision? It may be the end of it. dont you think chuck will sell it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)