HTC Fuze or iPhone???

Dodger

Both phones will pretty much do just about anything. It really just depends on what one you like using the most.

On XDA Developers, I'm running the Da-G WM6.5 kitchen which lets you choose what programs/features you want and then it makes your ROM for you. He seems to release a new version regularly. I'm still running a version he did that came out over a month ago that has been VERY stable and fast.

Dodger

Both phones will pretty much do just about anything. It really just depends on what one you like using the most.
Mainly internet and networking. Using the actual phone and texting will be on the bottom of my list.

I will say. I just did some internet searches on tethering. The Fuze was much easier to tether. It is basically just changing one registry file.

I guess that is comparable to Windows vs Mac OS anyway. Much easier to reprogram and edit Windows than it is Mac OS. Which is probably one reason why Windows is more susceptible to virus?

I will say. I just did some internet searches on tethering. The Fuze was much easier to tether. It is basically just changing one registry file.

I guess that is comparable to Windows vs Mac OS anyway. Much easier to reprogram and edit Windows than it is Mac OS. Which is probably one reason why Windows is more susceptible to virus?

All the aftermarket ROMs have this changed already where just plug in and go.

Haven't seen any viruses or other garbage on WinMo yet. And I've loaded TONs of apps and ROMs. Love to tinker with WinMo ever since I got my previous phone that had WinMo.

Lots of customizations out there... Dash always has a ton of different demos on the various styles and apps on his Youtube page:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo7dR6DUUhc&feature=channel]YouTube - Sprint Touch Pro With Custom Alienware Theme By Probex[/ame]

dodgerking- I think it all depends on YOU and what you like to do. For many the iphone is perfect and it gives them a feeling of being real cool, aka mac person. Do not mean that in a negative way. For others, like me, I don't mind the slight kludge of the OS with win Mobile 6.1 as it gives me lots of freedom to do what I want and even modify the OS in the registry to do lots of stuff. I know I have the fastest internet connection in the industry too. iphone has two big brothers watching over you and they do make a stab at enforcement of their restrictions. Apple has an incentive to the company to charge you any chance they can with your CC aka itunes account. AT&T has an inadequate network that breaks down when it gets busy and therefore the quality can suck at times. It is not consistent. PLUS, they also have to restrict your use of the internet. It isn't just the sling app that at&t forbids, but any video streaming of commercial TV, ( what sling does) through their network regardless of whether you do it on iphone or other PDA phone or even a USB dongle on your laptop. They do allow you to stream video broadcast content IF you buy it PPV from at&T. But most would agree that gets real expensive real fast.

So, with the iphone Apple requires you use their approved apps and has made official statement that Jailbreaking is a violation of your terms of agreement. So what jag72 has suggested has already been stated by apple as forbidden. Of course you can do it just like you can pirate your satellite receiver too. You just need to know you are messing with a DMCA violation by jailbreaking.

Personally, I'm with digiblur in that I like the freedom to use my phone/pda to do lots of stuff and I don't care to be a cool mac head or use a clearly superior user interface. I just want to do what I want how I want without worrying that I have violated my contract or that the network will crash when I go to CES or a football game. Plus, for the past year I have not traveled anywhere in North America and the islands and haven't had service. That holds true whether in the desert or in the Bahamas, and Caribbean.

Finally, I don't like AT&T wireless. I don't like the restrictions apple places on the applications you can use. I don't like how Apple gets you spending all the time in the itunes store. But that's just me. I sacrifice the elegance of the apple iphone to have my freedom and quality of service.

Tethering with Verizon's tether service is easy and so is PDANet. Just plug in a USB cable or for slower speed, allow a BT connection and then after a couple seconds to load the application, just launch your browser. That's with Vista OS. XP requires a bit more OK clicks but basically is simple to do. I used my Vista desktop with 24" screen to tether and watch sling TV for hours when I was staying in PA for a month. It was so reliable that I cancelled our Comcast cable and also ran a video audio output cable from the computer to the Livingroom TV set. The only thing we missed was the IR remote control. Maybe sling could develop something like that. :)

Last edited:
So, with the iphone Apple requires you use their approved apps and has made official statement that Jailbreaking is a violation of your terms of agreement. So what jag72 has suggested has already been stated by apple as forbidden. Of course you can do it just like you can pirate your satellite receiver too. You just need to know you are messing with a DMCA violation by jailbreaking.

You could also say that loading unauthorized ROM's is pretty much the same as jailbreaking. Your comparison to pirating satellite service is totally wrong. One is stealing service and the other is just loading software that is not supported on the phone. You are not stealing anything with jailbreaking your phone.

By the way all your arguement about not going with AT&T is a moot point as Dodger already stated that he is not looking into changing providers.

Because they want you to buy the more expensive plan.

Install an aftermarket ROM on the Fuze....either WM 6.1 or 6.5...pick your poison. When you plug in the phone to USB it will ask you 3 options. ActiveSync, Dish Drive, or Internet Sharing. Pick internet sharing and it connects. Very easy.

Or buy WMWifiRouter and use it via USB or WiFi..your choice.

Also the Disk Drive option basically turns your storage card(micro SD) into a USB flash drive...pretty cool. 16gb micro SD cards are getting cheaper everyday.

The way I tether is different. I first surf a webpage on my phone then turn on internet connection sharing on the phone and then connect it to my laptop and boom, start surfing.

You download the ROM you like. Tons of people at XDA-Developers and PPCGeeks making ROMs with lots of customizations, apps, and eye candy built in. You basically just hook up the phone via USB and run the install. It's simple.

Here's a couple...these are WM 6.5 ROMs (scroll down for screenshots)

|RAPH|6.5|ROM|WWE| ** EnergyROM 3.0 'Phoenix' (21728) ** || Build date 60109 || - xda-developers
[ROM][05/31/2009][WWE]RRE Series 6 WM 6.5 21725 build 21725.5.0.2 V5 - xda-developers

Which one are you using now?

Which one are you using now?

The ones above are Fuze (GSM) ROMs. On CDMA side I use the latest MightyROM of WM 6.1. 6.5 is getting really close to being as stable as I require, and TF3D2 is also almost there. I'll switch to 6.5 in a month or two.

One question for the iPhone guys around here, is it true you can't multitask on the phone? Basically have one app open doing something, say streaming music, then open another and start doing something else at the same time. I read that on a review the other day and I find that hard to believe.

The ones above are Fuze (GSM) ROMs. On CDMA side I use the latest MightyROM of WM 6.1. 6.5 is getting really close to being as stable as I require, and TF3D2 is also almost there. I'll switch to 6.5 in a month or two.

One question for the iPhone guys around here, is it true you can't multitask on the phone? Basically have one app open doing something, say streaming music, then open another and start doing something else at the same time. I read that on a review the other day and I find that hard to believe.
That is what two different ATT sales reps at two different ATT stores told me as well. You basically trade speed for multitasking and visa versa. Because it can only do one thing at a time, it speeds up the phone.

The way I tether is different. I first surf a webpage on my phone then turn on internet connection sharing on the phone and then connect it to my laptop and boom, start surfing.
You didn't have to do anything special to open up the tethering feature?

digiblur said:

Your answer is yes and no. You can use the iPod and phone with other apps but that is all.

That is what two different ATT sales reps at two different ATT stores told me as well. You basically trade speed for multitasking and visa versa. Because it can only do one thing at a time, it speeds up the phone.

Your answer is yes and no. You can use the iPod and phone with other apps but that is all.

Kind of retarded for a $600 a phone if you ask me. I prefer the speed and multitasking.

I'd go nuts if I couldn't multitask. The TouchPro has a ton of memory so I just leave a lot of apps open. GPS map running directions, email open, texting, viewing websites, etc. I just flip between the applications as I need them.

Kind of retarded for a $600 a phone if you ask me. I prefer the speed and multitasking.

I'd go nuts if I couldn't multitask. The TouchPro has a ton of memory so I just leave a lot of apps open. GPS map running directions, email open, texting, viewing websites, etc. I just flip between the applications as I need them.
This fact, plus how many more apps are available and how much easier it is for me to reconfigure the phone, makes mean lean more towards the Fuze (plus I am more familiar with windows than mac).

The pros I see with the iphone are the large screen and the headphone jack

jag72- I understand your defense. It's the same as most people use to justify jailbreaking but there is a huge difference here. Apple specifically took a position on it and made the announcement. Same as AT&T about streaming video and audio that sources from commercial TV. Note I am making a slight correction to a previous post here and that is not all streaming video content is forbidden by AT&T. eg YouTube is certainly permitted. But not Sling. Apple doesn't care so you can still sling commercial video as long as you can load the sling application and you can restrict the internet connection to avoid AT&T vis a vis wifi via another service provider which I offered another solution for called Myfi :)

As for jailbreaking, it IS a violation of terms of use according to Apple, so don't argue with me about it, take your law suit to Apple and defend your right to not comply with the DMCA. I'm on your side here. I don't like that law either but I also don't fool myself into believing I am exempt from it, especially after the company says otherwise. And hey, I know it's not stealing anything, but it is a violation of terms of service, you are reverse engineering the licensed application on the phone to get around a number of restrictions the owners of the software decided on.

As for loading different roms on a phone. Not that I am doing that because I'm not but as far as I know, Verizon's position on it is that "they do not forbid you doing it, they just won't support it technically. At one time I called them about upgrading to a hacked Sprint version of a new version of WM. I decided to just wait and as usual, about 5 months after Sprint released theirs, Verizon released a bug free version.

Digiblur- Re Multitasking- I often download new podcasts using Egress in the background, listen to one saved to my 8Gb micro SD, at the same time I'm playing a game with sound. The XV6800 handles all this and then mixes the sound from the podcast and game in my BT earpiece (BT 2.0) It does all this quite well, unlike the XV6700 predecessor which would lock up. But when a phone call comes in the download stops if in EVDO mode, keeps on downloading if in wifi mode, pauses the game and the podcast playback until the phonecall is over.
Now that is good multitasking! :)
Here's another. I've been in the middle of downloading a podcast file and have also updated my weather reports as well as stock live ticker. I could never do all three until the phone was upgraded to REV A EVDO.

Don't forget though, the Fuze is a 480x640 screen and the iPhone is 320x480. The Fuze has swappable batteries, negative on the iPhone. The Fuze allows you to upgrade the storage and swap the flash cards up to 32gig. Full hardware keyboard on the Fuze.

That is a downside of the Fuze with the headphone jack. But they do include a set of headphones that plug right into the port of the phone, and you also get a dongle that you can plug into the bottom of the phone for a head phone jack. Or you can just go wireless as stereo bluetooth works fine.

I use the headphones all the time and they work great, they have a little microphone built into them with an answer button. Adding MP3's is easy too, no special software needed, just plug in the phone, it pops up as drive letter for you to drag and drop your music.

I can't comment on the Video Out feature of the Fuze/Touch Pro as I haven't used it yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts