HTC Fuze or iPhone???

Of crouse an iPhone would blow any Smartphone from 2006 out of the water, such as the S621 you mentioned. Big difference between PocketPC and Smartphone.
Heck, the iPhone 3G blows the first generation iPhones out of the water.

You download the ROM you like. Tons of people at XDA-Developers and PPCGeeks making ROMs with lots of customizations, apps, and eye candy built in. You basically just hook up the phone via USB and run the install. It's simple.

Here's a couple...these are WM 6.5 ROMs (scroll down for screenshots)

|RAPH|6.5|ROM|WWE| ** EnergyROM 3.0 'Phoenix' (21728) ** || Build date 60109 || - xda-developers
[ROM][05/31/2009][WWE]RRE Series 6 WM 6.5 21725 build 21725.5.0.2 V5 - xda-developers
Are you able to put icon shortcuts on the home page without an after market ROM, like the one shown below from the link above, or does it require an after market ROM? I was playing around with the phone today and could not figure out how to place the shortcut icons on the home page.

Start.png

Are you able to put icon shortcuts on the home page without an after market ROM, like the one shown below from the link above, or does it require an after market ROM? I was playing around with the phone today and could not figure out how to place the shortcut icons on the home page.

Start.png

That's the 6.5 Start Menu you have pictured there. The 6.1 stock ROM has a different start menu. All the programs will be listed in the start menu that you have installed. Scroll to the last tab of the TouchFlo interface and you can put all your shortcuts to programs on there for quick access.

That last icon on the touch flow allows you to place which ever shortcuts you like?

Yep... if you want to add programs that are not in your start menu, like say a Internet Explorer Favorite, you use an little app called TF3D Config which allows you to change the order of the TF3D tabs, hide some of them, and also add just about anything you like on the programs tab tiles.

Another question. I have never owned a smart phone so excuse my ignorance here. When you download apps or programs do you do so through the computer, or do you do so through wifi or 3g directly to the phone?

Another question. I have never owned a smart phone so excuse my ignorance here. When you download apps or programs do you do so through the computer, or do you do so through wifi or 3g directly to the phone?

The apps are usually cab files that you open in the file explorer. It's your choice how you want to get them there.

1. Download them with your PC and copy them over with the Disk Drive mode via the USB cable.

2. Download direct via the browser in the phone. 3g, WiFi, whatever you want.

3. Email them to yourself from your desktop.

The apps are usually cab files that you open in the file explorer. It's your choice how you want to get them there.

1. Download them with your PC and copy them over with the Disk Drive mode via the USB cable.

2. Download direct via the browser in the phone. 3g, WiFi, whatever you want.

3. Email them to yourself from your desktop.
Thanks

Is that the same for the ROMs as well, or do they have to be done through your PC?

Just a tip on this. Doesn't matter, whatever is convenient but if not a cab you'll have to install with the computer anyway. The two ways you install an application on a WM phone is:
1. through a single compressed *.cab file. Put the cab file on the sc card on the phone and then execute it. Depending on the phone and the app, you should either load the program to the phone's memory or the SD card. If the application is one that needs to work close to the CPU such as a new dialer skin or Voice command, load it on the phone's memory. If the software is less cpy intensive such as a data base program, like new maps for a navigation program, then you can load those on the SD card. Some files will always be loaded in phone memory if the software requires it.
2.The second way to install applications is to load them onto your PC and install over active sync. These programs are normal windows executable files, not cab files. Again, you'll be given the choice to install to your sd card or on the phone memory.

Another tip is that if you use more than one SD card and you have a number of applications on the SD card, you must clone the SD card so your apps will be identical file structure on all your SD cards. I once had 4 2 Gb cards but each one of them had about 150 Mb of apps and files that were clones so all the additional different files occupied the remaining space on the card.

Another tip for you- If you'll be installing lots of applications, I suggest you make a list of each application, it's support website and the activation key nearly all of them come with and store that text file on your SD card as well as on your home computer. I've been in the field needing an activation key to reload an application and it was easy to access that file, copy and paste it to reactivate.

With all the internal storage available on the Fuze/Touch Pro there's no need to install things to the SD card. I've got a ton of apps installed and not even putting a dent in the internal storage of the phone. Only thing I keep on my SD card is my Garmin Maps, TomTom maps, MP3's, PIM backup files, all my CAB files for installation, and my auto-install scripts that kick off to install all my apps, customizations, and email configs when I decide to upgrade to another ROM. I've probably flashed my TouchPro about 10 or 12 times in the past 2 months.... I like to tinker. ;)

Dodger, have you made you mind up on what one you will be getting?
Nope. I am leaning towards the Fuze. I want to play with it a little more. I am also waiting until after the 8th the hear what Apple has to say about the new iPhone (if they say anything at all).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)