It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
Salsadancer7, Shawn95GT, jbphoenix, and others I might have missed...thanks all for your responses to StevenD...you sure saved me a lot of time typing. Amen to all your posts! :) Couldn't have said it better! :D :D

I'm still sitting tight, and expecting better things to come. Maybe not tomorrow, and maybe not next week, but I don't see Dish as being that white knight they'd like everyone to believe... :) Vicki

richard22

Mar 8, 2005
San Francisco Area
Dish Picture Quality

Is anyone concerned about picture quality? At one time I had both Dish and DirectTV and the DirectTV local pictures were a lot better than Dish. The compression that each service uses is under their control so that the satellite bandwidth can provide enough channels with more compression. Dish has always had insufficient bandwidth to support locals in a lot of markets. I would like to view the Dish VOOM channels to see if they are "down-resing" the video before making a committment.

DucTape

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 20, 2005
South Eastern PA.
richard22 said:
Is anyone concerned about picture quality? At one time I had both Dish and DirectTV and the DirectTV local pictures were a lot better than Dish. The compression that each service uses is under their control so that the satellite bandwidth can provide enough channels with more compression. Dish has always had insufficient bandwidth to support locals in a lot of markets. I would like to view the Dish VOOM channels to see if they are "down-resing" the video before making a committment.

Yeah do that.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Vicki...you are very welcome! OK...I wanna throw a monkey wrench into the VOOM/Dish celebration....LONGHORNXP in the Directv HD forum stated he has HIS connection at Directv, ala Scott....and said that Directv has a HUGE announcement stating they will be adding the possibility of Voom21 AND Starz, HBO West, Cinemax, INHD1&2 and their OWN version of exclusive HD channels....Here is his exact quote..

"I just got off the phone with one of my contacts and I type as I heard it over on Tivocommunity so I'll post it here for you all.

I'm talking to another one of my contacts as I'm typing and was told pretty much what Dan was told that a very very big announement with tons of HD channels will be made in June. I wasn't told after Spaceway 2 launches just that it would occur in June. Here is what I was told were being talked about and please note I'm not saying these are coming just they are being talked about as far as working deals.

Firstly all 21 Voom channels are getting talked about but even more after the E* release.

Other channels that are being talked about are as follows.
HBO HD West
Cinemax HD East and West
Showtime HD West
TMC HD East
Starz HD East and West
InHD 1 & 2 (InDemand is talking with D* and ignore the only on cable logo because it means nothing in the future but is true today because its marketing)

TNT HD
ESPN 2 HD
Scripps HD Networks

Also I'm hearing that D* might be launching their own set of HDTV channels using programming from many of News Corp networks and will also offer the package to any cable and satellite provider who wants them as well"

ecstaging

Feb 14, 2005
can anyone tell me if E* dish points in the same direction as voom or does it point to the same sats as Directv. I'm on the east coast and voom worked great. I have LOS with directv HD .I think then if I signed with Dish I would be in the same boat.
thanks for your help.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
Main programming, similar to DirecTV but dish doesnt use 101

Voom channels will stay at 61.5

ecstaging

Feb 14, 2005
so then I need to hit 110 and 119?. why would i need two dishes if i had OTA ?

little new at thisas you can tell.

truggy0

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 24, 2005
Wow, alot of pissy people here.....Ya know I am losing Voom, and I feel cheated and robbed because of it. But I am just glad I get to watch some of the channels I watched on Voom. Should I be grateful that dish has chosen to except me as a customer, or should I still feel that I am owed something for a service I am not getting or being charged for. But no matter what the outcome is, times be a changing and you can change with them or sit back and watch. I am glad that Dish has the Voom 21, if they want to lure me with a discount or a free HD DVR that is there deal. I have the choice to take what they offer or go elsewhere, they have the choice to sell me on there service or make me settle for what they have to offer. Its all choices and what you want, or what they can offer..Simple as that. If someone has a problem because Dish wants all of Vooms customers, and Dish is willing to give discounts to get there business, that is a person who cant except a deal that is not happening to them. I for one will roll with it. I am going to be missing out on the best HD service there ever was, I don't give a crap what you feel or think. From here on out everytime I look at my screen I will just be thinking....Its not VOOM...I have to settle for second or third best and pay more............................Ya, you keep bitching Steven....lol

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
If you check out the information at dbstalk.com about the new HD uplink information you will see that they are going to use/lease TPs 1,3,5, and 7 on the VOOM satellite for the VOOM 10 package. This is 3 HD channels per TP. CVC has been running the satellite at around 50MBit/sec/TP. At 3 HD channels per TP they are going to have 12+ Mbit/sec per channel. Note that this is MORE bandwidth than VOOM could have done since they had ALL their programming in 13 TPs, all the HD and SD.

I would expect the PQ to remain the same or get better. Dish has always given their HD channels more bandwidth than DIRECTV. Dish on balance has also had more bandwidth than VOOM on HD also. Now of course it depends how much compression CVC is going to do with the channels, and what encoders they decide to use. And of course in the future there is no telling what will happen to the PQ when Dish moves to MPEG-4 and puts more channels on a TP.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
ecstaging said:
so then I need to hit 110 and 119?. why would i need two dishes if i had OTA ?

little new at thisas you can tell.

You need 2 dishes becaus Dish Network programming will come from two different satellite locations, which are far apart and can't be gotten with 1 dish.

110 and 119- You'd get with a Dish 500, this is all the main dish programming and Dish's HD pack.

61.5 - A dish 300, or the voom dish w/dish lnb - this is where the voom hd channels come from

ecstaging

Feb 14, 2005
so i guess my question would be that if I cant get directv HD ,I wouldn't be abe to get dish signal . ( I get directv hd in the winter, no leaves on trees) again its the east coast.

thanks in advance

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 29, 2004
Tell me about that 942 dvr?
Its a hd dvr?
Dual tunners?
ota hd antenna input?
ota hd recording?

My only problem is that everyone I ever knew that had dish hated it. Slow menus, slow program info. Dish is kinda like the k-mart of sat tv. D* is target and voom was sears.

ecstaging

Feb 14, 2005
I just disconected all 4 voom boxes. pluged in the D* I had since day1 , I guess if I cant get HD from D* (LOS) I wont get it from Dish

kfried001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 9, 2004
Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM Programming
Friday April 29, 8:07 am ET
Lineup Will Include 10 Original VOOM HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml .

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) serves more than 11 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EchoStar Communications Corporation
Mark Cicero, 720-514-5065
mark.cicero@echostar.com
Now we need Kung Fu & Vice. Drop Gallery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)