KUIL Update!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We have no weather issues down here at this time.
The past few days have been more than clear enough.
I'm able to get White Springs with 100% in the same area that they would be transmitting from. If I can get White Springs perfectly then they most certainly could be transmitting. I'm also able to get all the other channels on 101 perfectly.

There is NO weather issue behind this.

No weather issues at this time, but in general, Ku-Band is unreliable in poor weather. Broadcasters can't afford to have their signal go down when thunderstorms are in the vicinity of the uplink or downlink. For that reason, engineers often view Ku-Band as a transmission means of last resort. There are other, more reliable methods, such as fiber.

There was a memo that went out some time ago (more than a year to be sure) that the management at KUIL was considering dropping the satellite feed due to recurring weather issues. That was long before the station dropped its Fox affiliation.

No weather issues at this time, but in general, Ku-Band is unreliable in poor weather. Broadcasters can't afford to have their signal go down when thunderstorms are in the vicinity of the uplink or downlink. For that reason, engineers often view Ku-Band as a transmission means of last resort. There are other, more reliable methods, such as fiber.

There was a memo that went out some time ago (more than a year to be sure) that the management at KUIL was considering dropping the satellite feed due to recurring weather issues. That was long before the station dropped its Fox affiliation.

Being old time C bander and seen it all, there is quite a difference between how weather effects c and ku. To put it bluntly with c band it don't 99.9% of the time. Ku on the other hand goes up and down all the time. Thats why c band will never die completely it is too much of a useful tool for the broadcasters.

KUIL will be missed too bad they don't change there uplink to c band.

I started a new thread because I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread. If you want to combine it, go for it.. :)

Finally got an answer to my e-mail I sent KUIL three days ago. Well it ain't the weather. :(

RE: KUIL Satellite
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:54 AM
"Mark Ewing"

To: Bubba
We are no longer using satellite to deliver our signal to the Beaumont DMA .

Thanks,
Mark Ewing
KUIL

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda figured that.... surprised they stayed up on satellite this long as they were talking about microwaving things quite a while ago. In fact they were microwaving it in HD to that tower when it was Fox. Not sure why they kept it on satellite in SD as it wasn't being used for much.

I was exchanging emails with Dan McLemore at KUIL, and here's what he told me last night:
I have actually had several people email me today about all of this. I am going to speak a little more in depth with my engineer about this tomorrow. We are actually owned by the FOX29 station out of Lake Charles and share a lot of resources with them. I will do my best to get you some more information and see what I can do about this. Thank you again for your email and have a blessed day.

Maybe if they get enough e-mails it might make a difference. Worth a shot.

Quote:
I have actually had several people email me today about all of this. I am going to speak a little more in depth with my engineer about this tomorrow. We are actually owned by the FOX29 station out of Lake Charles and share a lot of resources with them. I will do my best to get you some more information and see what I can do about this. Thank you again for your email and have a blessed day.

Email
webmaster@kuiltv.com

This may be a stupid question but, wouldn't it be beneficial to KUIL's ad revenue to stay on FTA? They could claim that they have viewers all across the country, right?

I Emailed Dan yesterday and got this response.
Thank you for the email. I am sorry to inform you that in fact, we are not up-linking to satellite anymore. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you are in the Golden Triangle area, we can be seen on the Time Warner Cablenetwork on channel 15 and 870 for HD. We can also be picked up with an antenna on channel 64, 64.1 for digital, and 64.2 for HD. Please let me know if there is anything further that I could assist you with.
If you don’t mind, would you let me know where you are located (address,city, state)?
Also, if you know of any others watching us like yourself,would you let them know to email me with their name and address?
Thank you very much.
Daniel McLemoreKUIL Promotions / Production Coordinator
Perhaps they are trying to see how wide the audience base is ?

This may be a stupid question but, wouldn't it be beneficial to KUIL's ad revenue to stay on FTA? They could claim that they have viewers all across the country, right?
Yup, seems like it to me unless there is some rule about them infringing on other station's markets:rant:.
Guess they will know we are out there if we email enough.

Yet another loss. As far as FTA goes, this is really turning into a "Black August"!
:mad: August, bloody, August! :mad:

On the other hand, it's made me get busy with the hobby. Had to fabricate a C-band dish out of a 42"/38" PrimeStar dish for the island networks, do a lot of antenna work to get the one local digital channel here (still ongoing), figure out 4:2:2 format to get downloads on GDMX G-16. Got a tree blocking RTN network and I will now have to rig up a KU dish for that.

KUIL was sweet, Maury-Family Guy-Scrubs-Reno 911-Malcolm in the Middle-etc. and will be missed.

For the national commercials maybe.
But for the local commercials, I dont think I'm going to drive to Beaumont to buy a vehicle or visit a pizza place ;)

Plus the cost of satellite is pretty big expense to a smaller station. When they were a Fox station I could see that. But now that they are an independent cable companies outside of the local area really dont have an obligation to carry it. They have syndicated shows that other stations might carry. When it was Fox they (KUIL) had more "power" to get the channel shown on cable.

This was the reply I received from Dan, it was a good channel while it lasted. :(

I am sad to report that due to rising costs of doing business we are no longer able to continue service of our satellite feed. Improvements in the cable systems between Lake Charles and Beaumont have eliminated the need for the satellite feed. We were using it to get our signal from Lake Charles Louisiana over to our Beaumont DMA. We now have newer methods of getting our signal from point A to point B.

As a low power television station, we are commissioned by the FCC to serve our local community with as much local programming as possible. Southland Conference, 1st and 10 High School Sports, Texas Rangers, Houston News at 9, Dean’s Corner, BISD Round-up, The Lamar series, and all of our local PSA’s, are just some of the ways that we service the local market.

After losing the FOX affiliate in January, we had to re-brand ourselves and basically start over from scratch. Since that time, we have continued to add programming and promotions to our station that keep the local community in the forefront of our minds.

It is good to hear that we were able to provide free programming for all those who watched from FTA satellite feeds and wish we could continue to do so, but our down economy has made it tougher to stay on top.

If anything changes, I will be sure to let you know. Thank you for watching our station and for your email. Again, I apologize for the loss of KUIL to the FTA network.

Daniel McLemore

KUIL Promotions / Production Coordinator

I got that reply also, from him. Nice guy, I never really expected an answer, and wished him success with the station in the future.

This was the reply I received from Dan, it was a good channel while it lasted. :(
bummer

I am sad to report that due to rising costs of doing business we are no longer able to continue service of our satellite feed. Improvements in the cable systems between Lake Charles and Beaumont have eliminated the need for the satellite feed. We were using it to get our signal from Lake Charles Louisiana over to our Beaumont DMA. We now have newer methods of getting our signal from point A to point B.
digiblur mentioned that ;)

As a low power television station, we are commissioned by the FCC to serve our local community with as much local programming as possible. Southland Conference, 1st and 10 High School Sports, Texas Rangers, Houston News at 9, Dean’s Corner, BISD Round-up, The Lamar series, and all of our local PSA’s, are just some of the ways that we service the local market.

After losing the FOX affiliate in January, we had to re-brand ourselves and basically start over from scratch. Since that time, we have continued to add programming and promotions to our station that keep the local community in the forefront of our minds.
That was another big reason. The money they get as a Fox affiliate especially for sports. I wish they would have stayed a little longer as there was a Southland football game on there the 19th of Sept I'd like to see (North Dakota is in it)...oh well...a feed hunting I will have to go :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)