Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr.Arizona

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
33N 112W
Hi there,

After being a member since a couple of weeks, I finally got all my equipment together and hooked everything up. :)

Wow, satellite TV after almost 2 years of cable... sweet.

Last Tuesday I started the whole process.
Checklist: Dish, LNB, Receiver, RG-6 Cable, Connectors, Crimp-Tool, Coax Stripper, Cable Cutter, Motor, DiSEqC Switch... ok, let's start!

First problem: How to mount the dish. Where was out of question. But the patio deck is just thin plywood and the aluminum anchors delivered with the dish don’t look like they are made for wood mount. I went into my garage and found 2 pieces of 2”x4”x12”. GOOD! I screwed these against the bottom of my patio deck, pre-drilled from the top and screwed the stand with 3x3/8. That’s much better than these “factory” screws. I had to use some washers under the stand to compensate the declination of the deck and the ability NOT to compensate it with the stand.

So far so good, the stand is mounted.
Back to the dish, a sheet of paper with a funny looking picture trying to explain how to assemble the dish… After a while I figured out which screw has to go where.
LNB on one end, motor on the other end.
Some nice wind picked up… Yeah… Staying on the edge of the deck with a 39” dish in one hand trying to lift the brackets of the motor over the stand with the other hand, that’s fun!!! :rolleyes:

Wow, I got it done!
Well… not one cable connected. It’s getting dark and VERY windy. So I just tightened the dish to the pole and postponed everything until the next day.

Next day, next challenge… Never used this RG-6 “press-on” connectors before. Not a problem, after I screwed up the first one, I figured out how it works. Cables are done and connected.
Ok, how about some signals into my receiver? Ok, went downstairs picked up the TV, receiver, beer and whatever it takes to spend some time on a patio deck.
Dish/Motor combination aligned by Rule of thumb and visual judgment… looking for SatMex6 or Anik-F2, at least something that gives me some signal on the “S“-Scale. My true south is 112.1.
There we go!!! Signal!!! I bet I had a big grin on my face. :p

Ok, not knowing which one of these two I got, let’s start a blind scan. After some time I had my first channel list, with some weird and unexpected names…

Oh… 97W :eek:

Well, it looks like I’m a little bit off, just 15 degrees. No problem. At least I had a starting point for further alignment. Went into satellite settings, changed the current satellite to G25, the dish moved and the signal was gone. A little twist to the right and the signal came back, at least the motor direction was good now. Some more ups and downs with motor and dish and after 2 hours the mission was COMPLETED.

I still have to get some cable ties and some grounding equipment, but it is finally working.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 150
While in the Phoenix, AZ area: which birds should I be able to get going to the east. In theory I could get everything starting from 43W up to 177W, but what is possible with my 39" dish?
I just want to make sure my arc is well adjusted and I am not trying to catch signals which are impossible to get.

Thanks!

While in the Phoenix, AZ area: which birds should I be able to get going to the east. In theory I could get everything starting from 43W up to 177W, but what is possible with my 39" dish?
I just want to make sure my arc is well adjusted and I am not trying to catch signals which are impossible to get.

Thanks!

congrats on your success!

In theory, and with proper setup, I think you are only limited by your line of sight in what satellites you can receive, you should be able to get anything (Ku-band) that you can "see", with your 39" dish.

Last night i stopped watching these, i believe, Chinese channels on 97W.
The other day i had somewhere PENTAGON (or was it NASA?), but with some quality issues. Might be my setup or it was the weather...
116.8 (BYU TV?)on SatMex5...
Later on i got stuck at G18
I tried 11964 H on 129, but no luck.
I also tuned into 110 for the free dish teasers... i love the 99% quality indicator...LOL
Tonight, if i get a chance, i will see how far I can get into the east (below 75W) and if i have to tweak my setup. (motor down, dish up or motor up/dish down)
If i have enough time i try to catch 43W. But for whatever reason, the receiver gives me an error message as soon as i send the USALS out. I might have to play with the software/hardware limits of the motor.

Without poking your location into one of the satellite calculators, I can't say for sure but ....
Generally, and certainly with a fixed dish, you can shoot birds below 10º above the horizon.
Somebody here regularly brags about 8º elevation.
A high-mounted dish and clear path to the horizon helps a lot.

But with a motor, you may run out of throw. (Or positioning accuracy toward the ends).
It's a limit of the motor. So, how close to the horizon you can get, may be somewhat limited.
And I don't think there is any (good) way you can fudge that.

Congratulations..!!!
Basically speaking, my theory with these type motors is at least 55 degrees and as much as 70 degrees (depending on the particular motor) in either direction of your true south, providing you have an unobstructed L.O.S. (line of sight)......?

Speaking line of sight...

Picture 1 - South, a little bit to the west
Picture 2 - East
Picture 3 - West

On #1 and #3 you can see the corner of my patio deck, where the dish is now mounted.
Position... N33.34, W112.13 (within a 200 yard radius)

If i go by dishpointer.com for 43W, there is nothing in my way (at 8 degrees elevation)

but it looks like my motor is not aimed at my true south. maybe i should invest some dollars and get a compass ;)

Without poking your location into one of the satellite calculators, I can't say for sure but ....
Generally, and certainly with a fixed dish, you can shoot birds below 10º above the horizon.
Somebody here regularly brags about 8º elevation.
A high-mounted dish and clear path to the horizon helps a lot.

But with a motor, you may run out of throw. (Or positioning accuracy toward the ends).
It's a limit of the motor. So, how close to the horizon you can get, may be somewhat limited.
And I don't think there is any (good) way you can fudge that.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 130
Congratulations..!!!
Basically speaking, my theory with these type motors is at least 55 degrees and as much as 70 degrees (depending on the particular motor) in either direction of your true south, providing you have an unobstructed L.O.S. (line of sight)......?

Would be a actuator instead of the motor a better alternative?

But it looks like I have to tweak my setup anyway. I did everything without a compass. Just checked the direction for 97W, where i found the first signal... that doesn't look at all like the direction i aimed my setup. So it looks like there is much room for improvement :eureka

Look for ONN on Horz 2 @ 74 west, see The List for current TP info.

Zero signal :eek:

Looks like i screwed up my setup. everything with a VERY strong signal and/or within ~30 degrees is ok. The rest must be way out of the optimum arc... back to the drawing board (patio deck in my case)

Well, just did a little test with the remote in my hand...
Set the dish to 95W and did a blind scan... all i got was a hand full of channels from 93W... so i was 6 clicks on the remote to the west off track. Wow...

Last night i stopped watching these, i believe, Chinese channels on 97W.
The other day i had somewhere PENTAGON (or was it NASA?), but with some quality issues. Might be my setup or it was the weather...
116.8 (BYU TV?)on SatMex5...
Later on i got stuck at G18
I tried 11964 H on 129, but no luck.
I also tuned into 110 for the free dish teasers... i love the 99% quality indicator...LOL
Tonight, if i get a chance, i will see how far I can get into the east (below 75W) and if i have to tweak my setup. (motor down, dish up or motor up/dish down)
If i have enough time i try to catch 43W. But for whatever reason, the receiver gives me an error message as soon as i send the USALS out. I might have to play with the software/hardware limits of the motor.

Using USALS can be a problem when you get near the edge of your range. You may have to start from an eastern bird that you CAN hit, and use Diseqc mode to jog your dish into position for 43W, then save that position. Motors vary quite a bit as to their angular movement. Some go +- 80 from zero, some are +- 65 from zero, and USALS doesn't "know " your motor so it seems to peter out at +- 60 or so, probably just to be safe. There's not a lot available over the Atlantic, but I've found 43W to be worthwhile , when the leaves drop and I can get it.

:)

The way I calculate this is: motor_angle = (orbital_slot - true_south_sat) * 9/8. My true south sat is 119W, so if I want to get Galaxy 25 I set the motor at (97 - 119) * 9/8 = -24.75 degrees. From this equation, you can derive that a motor that turns +/-80 degrees can make your dish see +/-71.1 orbital degrees.

I wish I could remember how I figured out that equation in the first place. :eek: I know it works because I used it with my motor to find every linear Ku satellite between 93W and 129W on the first try, and most needed little or no tweaking. USALS can bite me! :D

Using USALS can be a problem when you get near the edge of your range. You may have to start from an eastern bird that you CAN hit, and use Diseqc mode to jog your dish into position for 43W, then save that position. Motors vary quite a bit as to their angular movement. Some go +- 80 from zero, some are +- 65 from zero, and USALS doesn't "know " your motor so it seems to peter out at +- 60 or so, probably just to be safe. There's not a lot available over the Atlantic, but I've found 43W to be worthwhile , when the leaves drop and I can get it.

:)

Yep, it looks to me like a software limit from the box. I will try tonight after work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)