new fortec HD specs

Status
Please reply by conversation.
4:2:2 Blindscan.. I've started saving money for one. I don't know how much it is going to cost me, but I want one.. I don't even have an HD set, just as long as it will give my standard resolution set a 4:2:2 picture to watch, I'm happy A downconverted HD feed would be nice too!
I'm with you on that. I'm finding my dvb world box isn't recording good in dvb dream because my 1.5ghz machine with 512 mb ram just ain't enough power... If this thing could pull in 4:2:2 to my non-hd tv, it may be more worth getting than a computer upgrade that I've been trying to talk the wife in to! :)

Here are some more photos from the Fortec Star Passion unit that we are testing.

The SCART connections are for European release only. The North American production model will not have SCARTs.

New North American Firmware will be provided by Fortec STar after the SBE show for product testing. We will post the review as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Passion_Front_Panel.jpg
    Passion_Front_Panel.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Passion_Chipset.jpg
    Passion_Chipset.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Passion_CAS_CI_USB.jpg
    Passion_CAS_CI_USB.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Passion_CAS_CI_Cover.jpg
    Passion_CAS_CI_Cover.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Passion_Rear_Panel.jpg
    Passion_Rear_Panel.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Passion_Rear_Panel_Ports.jpg
    Passion_Rear_Panel_Ports.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 229
Looking at the picture from the whole back, I notice there are "No" OTA connections? This means no ATSC or NTSC tuners are in it? Which I can live without? But, the bigger picture is, "It still doesn't have everything". I still want one!

Al

Thanks for the update on the single hardware design. Wish we could have made it to the SBE show, but had to be at the NAB show to meet with uplinkers and broadcasters.... :(

No there will not be any ATSC reception capabilities. This will be a solid MPEG 4/2 H264 hobbyist receiver!

It has a HDMI connector on the back, it is in one of the pics...

Also seems to have both optical and coaxial digital audio outputs. I imagine there is also digital audio on the HDMI port.
my question was in regards to vincet3's reply. Ive seen many euro box's with hdmi so I was under the impression that europeans also used hdmi, not just scart. therfore hdmi must support pal, hdmi supports basically any resolution just like a computer monitor im under the impression, so It should support pal over hdmi.

SCART takes the place of the RCA connections that are commonly found on North American equipment. HDMI is a purely digital interface, unlike SCART, which is basically multi-pin A/V analog. HDMI is also backwardly compatible with DVI-D, with the exception of the fact that DVI-D does not make an audio connection.

Bring it on! Looks like a winner, if the info about 4:2:2 and blindscan is accurate. Any word on a pricetag?

For me, I am waiting for the review on the 4:2:2 capability. The chip Fortec uses, ST 7100, is not designed for 4:2:2 decoding. I am curious of how Fortec is able to make it work with 4:2:2 though. If the unit works with SD 4:2:2, that's good enough for me to put it on my list. HD 4:2:2 is great but most use DolbyE anyways, watching feeds without audio is not fun...:)

that st7100 looks interesting, ethernet support as wel as linux support ! I'll buy TWO if its got that !

opera even has a webbrowser for it !

Here are some pictures we took at the SBE for this new receiver

Attachments

• SBE07-3.jpg
    SBE07-3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 160
  • SBE07-1.jpg
    SBE07-1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 161
  • SBE07-4.jpg
    SBE07-4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 167
  • SBE07-5.jpg
    SBE07-5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 187
that st7100 looks interesting, ethernet support as wel as linux support ! I'll buy TWO if its got that !

opera even has a webbrowser for it !

Base on the product Fortec has made so far, I doubt that any of their future models will support Linux....:)
The 4:2:2 claim is interesting because it's not listed in ST7100 specs. I am patiently waiting for picture of this unit showing 4:2:2 feeds...:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.