New FTA user

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As long as you have a clear LOS to the sky, it should work fine.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I believe I found what the problem is my neighbors tree is blocking my line of sight
I have a question I put the Satellite dish were the old directv was on the roof should move the dish
Not the best option for adjusting or maintaining it (think snow) but may be your only option if there's no other spot on the ground with line of site to satellite. You gotta do what you gotta do. :rolleyes:

Not the best option for adjusting or maintaining it (think snow) but may be your only option if there's no other spot on the ground with line of site to satellite. You gotta do what you gotta do. :rolleyes:
Yea I thought about the snow. I know the dish needs to be plumb what I did was take the old dish off and put the new one on top I didn't change out the mounts not sure if I was supposed to

It would be a good idea to verify it's still plumb but otherwise if it's solid and you don't mind maintaining it up there then, as KE4EST said, it should work fine. :)
Azimuth (true): 213.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 225.9 those are the azimuth dishpointer gave me which one do I use or is it between the two

Azimuth (magn.): 225.9 those are the azimuth dishpointer gave me which one do I use or is it between the two
Identify a landmark on the horizon that is close to 226. This is the approximate location. Follow the instructions from post #64.
I thought you were looking for 97W Galaxy 19? If you're in or near Detroit then that azimuth is not even close to 97W. When I enter Detroit into Dishpointer that azimuth is somewhere between 105W and 107W? Really confused here... :confused:

Reactions: Titanium
Yea I'm in Detroit those are the coordinates I get when I give dishpointer my adress
Please note that Dishpointer defaults to Broadway, NY, NY as a location. For some reason it didn't accept your info and it showed you the satellite info for 97W at Broadway, NY, NY.

To get info for your location:

1. Select satellite (97W in your case) from the drop-down box
2. Enter your location (city, state or latitude, longitude)
3. Click Search
4. Scroll down and satellite info for your location will be shown in the dark grey box

Last edited:
Address: detroit
Latitude: 42.3314°
Longitude: -83.0458°

Satellite: 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19)
Elevation: 39.1°
Azimuth (true): 200.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 208.0°

Catamount
So should I use these coordinates I usually just type in my whole address in dishpointer

You can use your hometown or lat/long. The detroit data should be close enough. Don't worry too much about azimuth. It just gives you an approximate starting place to point at. Your meter should find the satellite.

Catamount

Reactions: Brct203
So should I use these coordinates I usually just type in my whole address in dishpointer
Thx for all y'all help finally got a signal but it blinking in and out don't know what to do next 23% quality

Attachments

• 1537814100843492271720.jpg
    1537814100843492271720.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: FTA4PA
Yes, you are close now. Adjust the dish left and right ever so slightly for best signal. Then slightly move the elevation(up and down) ever so gently for best signal. Once you have done that make sure your LNBF skew is correct. Rotate the LNBF in the holder back and forth and peak it out. Also if possible move it forward and backward in the holder to see if you can improve things. If that don't get you a higher Quality signal after all of that...
  • You have trees or something blocking part of your view to the satellite
  • Your dish is warped
  • LNBF is not worked correctly
  • LNBF is not at the correct distance from the reflector or at the proper angle
You are close enough now you will just have to be patient and mess with things to see what is going on. :)

Also it's a good idea to mark everything (azimuth on pole, elevation on dish and lnb skew) before tweaking the dish for better signal. It's very easy to untighen something and have it move further than you expected. If it's marked you can return to the spot you got a signal. Don't want to take the chance of losing it once you found it! :eek::D

Reactions: kittyhas1000legs
Also it's a good idea to mark everything (azimuth on pole, elevation on dish and lnb skew) before tweaking the dish for better signal. It's very easy to untighen something and have it move further than you expected. If it's marked you can return to the spot you got a signal. Don't want to take the chance of losing it once you found it! :eek::D
I do believe the problem is that I put the dish on the roof and where the dish is pointed there's a pipe about a foot away from the line of sight basically the dryer pipe is in the line of sight

Yes you did so I put in that frequency in the frequency spot and 200000 in the Sr spot on the meter ok I think I'm getting the feel for it just don't understand the meter settings I'm learning that the DBuV being high doesn't really mean anything
How do you find the frequency for satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)