New FTA user

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Attachments

• 153782346162375552082.jpg
    153782346162375552082.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 580
I assume you mean you would like to get the frequency, polarity (H or V) and symbol rates for other channels and muxs on 97w and other sats? If yes, go to North & South America - LyngSat or Satellites - North & South America or Satellite Charts - Search and choose the sat you are interested in.:)
Yea like how you told me 97w was horizantal and the frequency was 12152 20000 I want to try some other sats since I found signal with 97 my interest is now super peaked

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yea like how you told me 97w was horizantal and the frequency was 12152 20000 I want to try some other sats since I found signal with 97 my interest is now super peaked
Yes, go to those links, select a sat and see what channels are ITC (In The Clear). Then use Dishpointer to get your sat pointing info. Like I suggested earlier though, first mark you dish azimuth on pole, elevation on the dish scale and your lnb skew before searching so you can get back to a know good signal if needed. Also, none of the sites are totally up to date. If you want to verify if something is still correct just ask and we can let you know. :)

Yes, go to those links, select a sat and see what channels are ITC (In The Clear). Then use Dishpointer to get your sat pointing info. Like I suggested earlier though, first mark you dish azimuth on pole, elevation on the dish scale and your lnb skew before searching so you can get back to a know good signal if needed. Also, none of the sites are totally up to date. If you want to verify if something is still correct just ask and we can let you know. :)
Ok so how do I read it for example 12152 is the frequency and 20000 is the transponder I see its sectioned off and there are different frequency and transponders

Ok so how do I read it for example 12152 is the frequency and 20000 is the transponder I see its sectioned off and there are different frequency and transponders
Have you tried a blind scan once you did find the satellite even though it is weak. You can enter all the transponders by hand, but most blind scan, after finding the bird.

12152 H 20000 --- 12152 is the frequency, H is the polarity, 20000 is the symbol rate. If you want to aim for another satellite refer to the pics in post 78 of this thread for specifics of where to enter these in your meter. Make sure you use only the 5 digit frequency numbers for ku band (you need a large c band dish to get channels with the 4 digit frequency numbers). :) Also, as KE4EST said, best to relocate that dish away from those power lines for safety - don't want this! :tombstone:angel

Have you tried a blind scan once you did find the satellite even though it is weak. You can enter all the transponders by hand, but most blind scan, after finding the bird.
Ok well I have a question how big a dish would I need for C-Band signals and which is better KU or C band
12152 H 20000 --- 12152 is the frequency, H is the polarity, 20000 is the symbol rate. If you want to aim for another satellite refer to the pics in post 78 of this thread for specifics of where to enter these in your meter. Make sure you use only the 5 digit frequency numbers for ku band (you need a large c band dish to get channels with the 4 digit frequency numbers). :) Also, as KE4EST said, best to relocate that dish away from those power lines for safety - don't want this! :tombstone:angel

Which is better is a matter of what you are after I guess, but 99% will agree C-Band is better. Lots more stuff to find on C-Band.
I would recommend the at the least an 8 footer, but really with the way things are going go at least for a 10 footer.
They can be expensive if bought new, but if you drive around you can still find plenty in people yards that have not been used in years, and a lot of the times have them for free.

Right now I would keep working with what you have got and learn all of this stuff, but keep your eye out for a 10 footer in good shape as you drive around. A C-Band dish is a little more involved in setting up and aligning, and you will also need a dish mover.....but like I said a little at a time. :)

Flip it upside down interesting
I had a dish upside down you take the offset angle of the dish add the satellite elevation angle like 40 degrees. When you add both of them together you get the angle you need. 97w is at 40 degrees elevation for me so I add the dish angle with it.

Reactions: wvman
153782346162375552082-jpg.135043

Wow that dish looks close to the power line! :flame

I saw that too. I believe I'd move that baby to the other side of the power line, like 5 or 6 feet away from it. I can imagine all sorts of electrical interference, like transformer noise entering the system if there's a leak in the shielding on the cable. At least if it's behind the dish, it could act like a shield if the dish is properly grounded. DirecTV would have had a cow if they saw an installation like that when we were installing them.

Primestar actually came around and inspected installations when we were installing them and made the dealer correct the problem when they found one. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
I had a dish upside down you take the offset angle of the dish add the satellite elevation angle like 40 degrees. When you add both of them together you get the angle you need. 97w is at 40 degrees elevation for me so I add the dish angle with it.

I bet that was an odd looking duck. :) Never even thought of trying that. Good one.

Ok well I have a question how big a dish would I need for C-Band signals and which is better KU or C band
Sorry, I went to bed early last night.:sleepy I see KE4EST already gave you a great answer! I have both KU and C but if I had to choose it would be C band. I also live out in the country and can pretty much set up any size or number of dishes I want in my yard (no town or HOA rules :D). I will throw the option of mini-buds (undersized c band dishes) out there. If you search the site there are a multitude of posts regarding them and their performance. Basically, you set up a dish smaller than the recommended minimum size to pull in the strongest C band transponders. You won't get all that is actually available but you usually get something. Many do this because of size/space requirements (again think town/HOA rules) while others do it as a challenge just to see what they can get on a smaller than normal dish. I would only recommend it if it's your only option for trying C band otherwise go with the biggest dish you can find/afford and you will be happy! :)

I saw that too. I believe I'd move that baby to the other side of the power line, like 5 or 6 feet away from it. I can imagine all sorts of electrical interference, like transformer noise entering the system if there's a leak in the shielding on the cable. At least if it's behind the dish, it could act like a shield if the dish is properly grounded. DirecTV would have had a cow if they saw an installation like that when we were installing them.

Primestar actually came around and inspected installations when we were installing them and made the dealer correct the problem when they found one. :)
Lol all I did was put the dish on the mount. That mount was actually set up by directv I actually just took the directv dish down and put mines on top

Reactions: wvman
Sorry, I went to bed early last night.:sleepy I see KE4EST already gave you a great answer! I have both KU and C but if I had to choose it would be C band. I also live out in the country and can pretty much set up any size or number of dishes I want in my yard (no town or HOA rules :D). I will throw the option of mini-buds (undersized c band dishes) out there. If you search the site there are a multitude of posts regarding them and their performance. Basically, you set up a dish smaller than the recommended minimum size to pull in the strongest C band transponders. You won't get all that is actually available but you usually get something. Many do this because of size/space requirements (again think town/HOA rules) while others do it as a challenge just to see what they can get on a smaller than normal dish. I would only recommend it if it's your only option for trying C band otherwise go with the biggest dish you can find/afford and you will be happy! :)
Didn't know power lines caused interference
I didn't know power lines caused interference

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)