New FTA user

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Didn't know power lines caused interference

I didn't know power lines caused interference
Pretty much anything in front of the dish will block signal and power lines, etc can cause interference. The biggest problem with the dish being that close to a power line is the risk of electric shock while working on it so definitely a good idea to move it a safe distance away from them. It may improve the signal and, most importantly, will keep you safe! :)

Reactions: Brct203
Pretty much anything in front of the dish will block signal and power lines, etc can cause interference. The biggest problem with the dish being that close to a power line is the risk of electric shock while working on it so definitely a good idea to move it a safe distance away from them. It may improve the signal and, most importantly, will keep you safe! :)
Ok thx I have a question about Lnbs I was just browsing online and I noticed 0.2 and 0.3 decibel lnbs mines in 0.1 is there a difference or better yet does it make a difference

Lol all I did was put the dish on the mount. That mount was actually set up by directv I actually just took the directv dish down and put mines on top
Lol all I did was put the dish on the mount. That mount was actually set up by directv I actually just took the directv dish down and put mines on top

For some reason the linemen that came to our house didn't understand that they had to screw the anchor that held the drop line to our house into a 2x4, not the wood siding. After having them there twice to redo their goof, I finally went out and did it myself. That's when I discovered the weathered insulation on one leg of the 220 volt line coming to the house. The insulation was brittle and cracked and was peeling off, exposing the bare wire.

It makes me nervous when I see a dish that close to a power line. :) You'd be fried worse than my X-wife's cooking, and that's bad. lol

Reactions: FTA4PA
Ok thx I have a question about Lnbs I was just browsing online and I noticed 0.2 and 0.3 decibel lnbs mines in 0.1 is there a difference or better yet does it make a difference
theoretically, the lower noise figure, the better it is. Note that on Ku LNBs it's usually in dB, and on C-Band it's usually in Kelvin.

These days, most Ku LNBs are 0.5 dB or lower, and most C-Bands are around 15 Kelvin

While it's important to have a low noise figure, those published numbers are sometimes a bit of a big fat lie... a cheap LNB might have a low noise figure at some frequency, and claim that as its noise figure, but not so great performance at other frequencies. Also, other factors are important such as local oscillator stability (PLL is best, important for low signal rate transponders), and phase noise (not often published).

For Ku-band LNBFs, I like the Maverick MK1 and also the GeoSatPro line of LNBFs (many models to choose from)

Reactions: FTA4PA
You say damage can interfer with the signal cause before I put it up my lady friend was drunk and knocked my dish over which cause a small dent in my dish not it the front part of the dish it dented the part of the dish that's folded back could that cause problems

You say damage can interfer with the signal cause before I put it up my lady friend was drunk and knocked my dish over which cause a small dent in my dish not it the front part of the dish it dented the part of the dish that's folded back could that cause problems
Possibly but if it's minor and doesn't involve the front surface that collects signal then probably not. Maybe post up a couple pics of the damage from a few different angles (front, side, back) to give a better idea of what part took the hit and how bad. :)

Yes, if your dish is warped that will make a big difference.

Possibly but if it's minor and doesn't involve the front surface that collects signal then probably not. Maybe post up a couple pics of the damage from a few different angles (front, side, back) to give a better idea of what part took the hit and how bad. :)
I don't know if this is true or not but a satellite dish installer told me the size of my dish could be causing me to get a low signal from the galaxy sat cause of my location is that true do I need a bigger dish

Yes, if your dish is warped that will make a big difference.
So far this is the highest the signal will go even with all the adjustments

Attachments

• 20180926_215759.jpg
    20180926_215759.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 113
Almost seemed to me from your photo of the dish-roof that the dish may be pointed near, partially blocked by, the roof ridge.
I agree with that it could be but not by my roof ridge could be the neighbors her house sits a lil higher than mines

You're using an offset dish,the signal is coming in from a much higher angle than what the dish seems to be pointed at.
The signal bounces off the dish and down to the lnbf.The vent pipe may not be blocking anything but in any case the dish is way too close to the wires.

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
You're using an offset dish,the signal is coming in from a much higher angle than what the dish seems to be pointed at.
The signal bounces off the dish and down to the lnbf.The vent pipe may not be blocking anything but in any case the dish is way too close to the wires.
What do you mean by offset dish I'm new to FTA

I believe most Directv/Dish sats use circular polarity and all use encryption. You won't find much in the clear on those. :(
Oh ok cause I seen coordinates for sats and then when I checked lygnsat it would say directv or Shaw or bell so I was just wondering

An offset dish has the feedhorn/lnb located down and out of the way of the face of the dish so as not to block any signal from reaching the dish.The signal comes in at a higher angle and bounces down to the feed.The usual arrangement for "small" ku dishes.
A prime focus dish has the feed located dead center to the face of the dish.The signal comes straight in and is reflected up to the feed.The usual arrangement for "large" c band dishes.

An offset dish has the feedhorn/lnb located down and out of the way of the face of the dish so as not to block any signal from reaching the dish.The signal comes in at a higher angle and bounces down to the feed.The usual arrangement for "small" ku dishes.
A prime focus dish has the feed located dead center to the face of the dish.The signal comes straight in and is reflected up to the feed.The usual arrangement for "large" c band dishes.
So is an offset dish a bad dish to have or should I get another dish like the one your talking about

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts