Newbie needs guidance!

My receiver is in the house but I can continue to run up and down. Np.
That'll make you tear your hair out to do these very tiny movements. You NEED a small tv and receiver up at the dish, or you'll likely never get it before you are ready to drop from exhaustion

IF you have a laptop and a smartphone, maybe you can face the camera towards your tv set, and run Google Duo or something. Then watch it on your smartphone up at the dish?

I'll see is I can get the handmeter from gt media to just give me signal quality. I have never been able to use it but now if I enter all the info I have into it ... It just might help.
That'll make you tear your hair out to do these very tiny movements. You NEED a small tv and receiver up at the dish, or you'll likely never get it before you are ready to drop from exhaustion

IF you have a laptop and a smartphone, maybe you can face the camera towards your tv set, and run Google Duo or something. Then watch it on your smartphone up at the dish?
Ok got the hand meter to work to give me quality and also locks in and has built-in tv. I think I might have it nailed at 60% and get 38 channels. With the only one in english in qvc! LOL! I'm burnt out for today but will be online. I guess the plan tomorrow is to see if I can get it dialed in even better.

I'll see is I can get the handmeter from gt media to just give me signal quality. I have never been able to use it but now if I enter all the info I have into it ... It just might help.
Hurray! I remember that first time feeling! :D
LOL! I will... ok give me a sec for the channels.

OK, first and last channel...

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_155013171_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221122_155013171_HDR.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20221122_154933850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221122_154933850_HDR.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 80
OK, first and last channel...
Ok, that is for SURE 97W. They are on the proper orientation (Horizontal) and proper frequencies.

Try to pick up something on Vertical. Make SURE you are scanning both H and V.

p.s. You've now PROVED that your equipment works. The rest, is just peaking. Though peaking the signals can be a real bitch also, at LEAST you now have something of a baseline to peak against. Get your weakest channel right NOW, and try to get that one UP on quality a little better.

Reactions: FTA4PA
rimichael,

Your persistence paid off…congrats.
I’ve been following your journey from day one.
Getting that first feed is an awesome accomplishment and feels great doesn’t it ?
There are great members on this site willing to take the time to assist. I can attest to that first hand.
I’ve been in this BUD hobby for 31 years and I’m still learning stuff here.
You’ll love this hobby…it never really gets old.

John

rimichael,

Your persistence paid off…congrats.
I’ve been following your journey from day one.
Getting that first feed is an awesome accomplishment and feels great doesn’t it ?
There are great members on this site willing to take the time to assist. I can attest to that first hand.
I’ve been in this BUD hobby for 31 years and I’m still learning stuff here.
You’ll love this hobby…it never really gets old.

John
Yes, it's great getting it correctly and I want to thank everyone for helping this old virgin! LOL. Now I guess is thinking about setting up the motor but I need to read and comprehend all of its info before trying to get that to work so I can see other satellite's with never going on the roof. I hope everyone's well and that you and yours's enjoy the up coming holiday with everyone.

Don't be too hasty trying to put on the motor. You are allowed to watch 97W for a bit to learn about your receiver and just enjoy your work. Depending on your viewing tastes, you may enjoy Positiv TV. This channel plays continuous English-language movies. Or maybe Kuwait Sport TV (KTV) will be playing the World Cup Soccer matches.

Reactions: primestar31

Yes, it's great getting it correctly and I want to thank everyone for helping this old virgin! LOL. Now I guess is thinking about setting up the motor but I need to read and comprehend all of its info before trying to get that to work so I can see other satellite's with never going on the roof. I hope everyone's well and that you and yours's enjoy the up coming holiday with everyone.
Get THIS satellite all peaked up well for reception as it is on the post. Once that's done, sit back for a few days and watch some tv. It's not a contest, no need to hurry, you can put the motor on at any time. Eyeball the aim past your trees and such, maybe take some photos to remember. That way when it's time for the motor, it'll be a little easier.

Once the dish is peaked, you'll have a whole NEW learning experience to get that motor setup! You'll have to change the elevation and everything once again for USALS motor use. lol

Get THIS satellite all peaked up well for reception as it is on the post. Once that's done, sit back for a few days and watch some tv. It's not a contest, no need to hurry, you can put the motor on at any time. Eyeball the aim past your trees and such, maybe take some photos to remember. That way when it's time for the motor, it'll be a little easier.

Once the dish is peaked, you'll have a whole NEW learning experience to get that motor setup! You'll have to change the elevation and everything once again for USALS motor use. lol
I think I have it as well as I can. I have 110 channels but even qvc is not in english! LOL! Great pictures and quality is over 80% to 91%.

You might not thank me once you start to install the motor, lol. At least you now KNOW your entire system is working, and that makes it much easier from here on out.
I gather from you its a hair puller but what the heck, I've got nothing to do this weeks ! lol. I hope you and yours had a great and safe Thanksgiving.

I gather from you its a hair puller
It can be. However, the biggest issue is as you found already trying it all by yourself. Now you KNOW the system works, AND you have us all for backup. I highly suggest before trying to install it again, you post all the info about the particular motor you have, and the instructions they give for settings. They've been known to be wrong before.

Reactions: JFOK and FTA4PA
It can be. However, the biggest issue is as you found already trying it all by yourself. Now you KNOW the system works, AND you have us all for backup. I highly suggest before trying to install it again, you post all the info about the particular motor you have, and the instructions they give for settings. They've been known to be wrong before.
I sure will. I got a few things to do this morning but After I view the video and take some note I'm going to tackle it. About 11am I'll be starting the process and let you know the info beforehand.

Reactions: FTA4PA