PQ has improved it seems or did it?

digideal said:
It must be the Clones version, VERY soft on my Sony XBR 30 incher...

Right now, I have to agree. ICE AGE on HBO-HD West looks as good as before. Although it's hard to evaluate cartoons. I'll wait until the next movie to give it a final evaluation for tonight.

TNT has always had sparklies (as does VH1 and a handfull of others) but thats a SD channel and everyone is concerned about the HD programming PQ at the moment. :)

stevegs1 said:
Noticed last night on Cinema 10 - 102 and 109 looked bad, pixelization, etc. Tonight they all look fine. HBOW and SHOW look terrible, couldn't watch Attack of The Clones for more than a few minutes, and SHOW has an audio problem, cutting in and out.

I just watched a program on Discovery about British Columbia, and with a stopwatch in hand, tried to see if there was any rhyme or reason to the stuttering problem (it's still there). Seems for a while they were occurring approx. every 90 seconds, then for a while it was approx. every 28 seconds.
Isn't it mentioned here Sean that DHDT is badly pixelated and then the post following says that DHDT is great-am I reading these right-2 opposite opinions on DHDT pq-right?

Sean Mota said:
Right now, I have to agree. ICE AGE on HBO-HD West looks as good as before. Although it's hard to evaluate cartoons. I'll wait until the next movie to give it a final evaluation for tonight.

"Ice age" looks softer than it did on HBOHDE, but even on HBOHDE, I don't notice any improvements? As for "attack of the clones" it looked good when they showed it a few weeks ago on HBOHDE, and it looked great.I also threw in my DVD of the movie, and it is noticeably sharper, and much more vibrant than what I saw thru VOOM.In fact I'd say my dvd's look much better than the premium movie channels do in HD on VOOM. The exclusives still look fine to me by the way, (except for the micro stutters). I've done a comparison for a good hour and a half now between D*, and VOOM using HBOHD, and DiscoveryHD feeds for both, and have come to the conclusion that it still looks much softer than D*'s feed. I wish this weren't the case, but it is. As for the audio problem on Showtime HD west, it doesn't stutter anymore, but it sometimes goes in and out. that wierd problem is still there with this channel, with fast movement it stutters, *sometimes* other times it doesn't, but it always pixelates with fast movements. Like I've said though, it may take more time to iron out the wrinkles at VOOM, so I wasn't expecting a miracle to happen over night. I'm still giving them a shot.

GeneWildershair said:
"Ice age" looks softer than it did on HBOHDE, but even on HBOHDE, I don't notice any improvements? As for "attack of the clones" it looked good when they showed it a few weeks ago on HBOHDE, and it looked great.I also threw in my DVD of the movie, and it is noticeably sharper, and much more vibrant than what I saw thru VOOM.In fact I'd say my dvd's look much better than the premium movie channels do in HD on VOOM. The exclusives still look fine to me by the way, (except for the micro stutters). I've done a comparison for a good hour and a half now between D*, and VOOM using HBOHD, and DiscoveryHD feeds for both, and have come to the conclusion that it still looks much softer than D*'s feed. I wish this weren't the case, but it is. As for the audio problem on Showtime HD west, it doesn't stutter anymore, but it sometimes goes in and out. that wierd problem is still there with this channel, with fast movement it stutters, *sometimes* other times it doesn't, but it always pixelates with fast movements. Like I've said though, it may take more time to iron out the wrinkles at VOOM, so I wasn't expecting a miracle to happen over night. I'm still giving them a shot.
I guess the title of the thread should be change now-oh, well nice while it lasted-if it ever was?

eschu97611 said:
Isn't it mentioned here Sean that DHDT is badly pixelated and then the post following says that DHDT is great-am I reading these right-2 opposite opinions on DHDT pq-right?

eschu, I am still seeing the same pq with all the channels. Same pixelation, same stutters, same everything. A/B test between VOOM and Directv reveals the same situation as it was yesterday, and the day before. It will take some time to fix VOOM, I am still confident they'll fix it.

GeneWildershair said:
eschu, I am still seeing the same pq with all the channels. Same pixelation, same stutters, same everything. A/B test between VOOM and Directv reveals the same situation as it was yesterday, and the day before. It will take some time to fix VOOM, I am still confident they'll fix it.
I wonder what Wilt and the gang are targeting in their "fixes" so far-he never said on Yahoo-could it be encoder issues, or something else within his control?

eschu97611 said:

I see what you mean now :) I watched DHDT for an hour tonight and did the A/B comparison with E* and to my eye both looked the same. No pixelation on DHDT, no stutter, no sound drop for the hour I watched.

HBO-HD West still soft. You could not easily see it with ICE AGE but now you could see it with BASIC. It is not as sharp as HBO-HD East.

HBO-HD East was fine with me. I did not do an A/B comparison with E* but will tomorrow night. Not enough time tonight.

Sean Mota said:
I see what you mean now :) I watched DHDT for an hour tonight and did the A/B comparison with E* and to my eye both looked the same. No pixelation on DHDT, no stutter, no sound drop for the hour I watched.

HBO-HD West still soft. You could not easily see it with ICE AGE but now you could see it with BASIC. It is not as sharp as HBO-HD East.

HBO-HD East was fine with me. I did not do an A/B comparison with E* but will tomorrow night. Not enough time tonight.
The British Columbia show on DHDT looks softer than D* feed-more work to do, obviously,

eschu97611 said:
I guess the title of the thread should be change now-oh, well nice while it lasted-if it ever was?

I never said the pq was better. I said I had to evaluate it properly before giving it a thumbs up, or thumbs down. My quote about "it was nice while it lasted", was said about the micro stutters. I just wanted to add this so I wasn't mis-quoted.

eschu97611 said:
The British Columbia show on DHDT looks softer than D* feed-more work to do, obviously,

yep that's what I'm seeing. I think, that because Wilt said to check tonight, that many people were really hoping to see some dramatic change. I don't see improvements yet, hopefully very soon though. At least Wilt, VOOM are listening.

GeneWildershair said:
I never said the pq was better. I said I had to evaluate it properly before giving it a thumbs up, or thumbs down. My quote about "it was nice while it lasted", was said about the micro stutters. I just wanted to add this so I wasn't mis-quoted.
Did you start this thread Jay-just meant that the person who did, who apparently thought the pq might have improved, could have possibly jumped the gun a bit

GeneWildershair said:
yep that's what I'm seeing. I think, that because Wilt said to check tonight, that many people were really hoping to see some dramatic change. I don't see improvements yet, hopefully very soon though. At least Wilt, VOOM are listening.
No change yet-still as soft as my pillow-not the only channel like this either-pq on Cinemas have gone way down lately as well-as was stated in an earlier post-i'm sure we will get posts soon that refute this, but wadda u gonna do, eh?

eschu97611 said:

HBO and SHOw looked pixelated.

Discovery looked fine except for the "microstuttering" problem, which I tried to see if it occured at regular intervals.

stevegs1 said:
HBO and SHOw looked pixelated.

Discovery looked fine except for the "microstuttering" problem, which I tried to see if it occured at regular intervals.

Well when you have another source for the same material, (like I do with D*'s DiscHD, and HBOHD) you can easily check to see if there is an improvement. It's just not there yet.

On the SD front - CNN tonight looked like I was watching a 320/240 quicktime movie at 15 frames a second :) - very bad. even worse when the wife notices it !

hd_SDI_1080i said:
On the SD front - CNN tonight looked like I was watching a 320/240 quicktime movie at 15 frames a second :) - very bad. even worse when the wife notices it !

to add about SD's, I also noticed bad pq with them still. Spike, BET, VH1 etc... still suffer from the sparklies. Speaking about wife noticing things. My wife still does not see the micro stutters, but she does see the difference in PQ, (both HD, and SD) between D*, and VOOM, and she still prefers watching D*, except for MonstersHD. She loves that channel, and checks to see what's playing on it all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)