PS4 Owners Thread

I liked all the crash games as a kid but I just have zero interest in this remastered collection.

I liked all the crash games as a kid but I just have zero interest in this remastered collection.
I disliked all the crash games as a kid (well I only played 1 because I disliked that one and I didn't want to go back for more) and I just have zero interest in this remastered collection.

PS+ free offerings for June have been released.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/31/15719484/playstation-plus-free-games-june-2017

Pretty good lineup IMO. Life is Strange is definitely worth checking out as it was one of my GOTY of 2015.

Also Killing Floor 2 is pretty cool as a wave based horde shooter.

Yeah, this is a pretty good month because of Life is Strange. It doesn't do much for those of us who have already played it but I'm glad that a wider audience will get to check out that game.

Yeah, this is a pretty good month because of Life is Strange. It doesn't do much for those of us who have already played it but I'm glad that a wider audience will get to check out that game.
Hopefully it'll run better than the One version did. The load times and graphical glitches made me feel like I was playing on last gen.

Hopefully it'll run better than the One version did. The load times and graphical glitches made me feel like I was playing on last gen.

For some reason these narrative adventure game companies have a hard time making console ports even though there is nothing special about the way they look. I thought about grabbing Walking Dead Season 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy when they were both on sale for Xbox One last week at $15 but then I remembered that I have sworn off Telltale games on console.

I played Life is Strange on PC and I don't remember any performance issues or long load times. This is a good reminder to get Life is Strange Season 2 on PC if you have the option.

For some reason these narrative adventure game companies have a hard time making console ports even though there is nothing special about the way they look. I thought about grabbing Walking Dead Season 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy when they were both on sale for Xbox One last week at $15 but then I remembered that I have sworn off Telltale games on console.

I played Life is Strange on PC and I don't remember any performance issues or long load times. This is a good reminder to get Life is Strange Season 2 on PC if you have the option.
Yeah I was waiting on LiS for PC but it took a really long time for it to get to my price point and Xbox had a good deal before the PC did so I got it on there, not thinking there would be many performance issues. Don't get me wrong, the game is definitely playable, but if there's a choice of formats then that version definitely shouldn't be at the top of anyone's list.

I'm actually playing Life Is Strange right now on PS4 (I had bought it in late 2015) and have encountered zero performance issues or odd glitches through episode 3 (knocks on wood). The only errors I've seen are that in a few of instances the in-game journal and the end-game choice stats didn't 100% reflect the choices I had made, but I imagine that happens cross platform (that sort of thing is common enough in Telltale games, at any rate). It might also be worth mentioning I'm playing on the original PS4 - not one of the newer, more powerful models.

I picked up Life is Strange on the PS4 during a flash sale for something like $5. My daughter really likes it.
I haven't tried it, so not sure if/what technical issues it might have.

It appears that a Gold PS4 Slim is coming. Numerous store workers and shoppers have seen them in the wild.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-looks-like-sony-is-launching-a-gold-playstation-4

To each their own, but I would not want something that looks like that in my entertainment center. While I do think that the white version of the original model Xbox One and the Xbox One S both look nice I would rather just have my consoles in black to match all the other devices in my entertainment center.

I think the main appeal is that this release marks a price cut.

Yeah, a 1TB PS4 at $249 is a pretty great deal for someone who doesn't own a PS4 yet. It will be even better once they start bundling in a game at that price for the holidays.

It looks like the PS4 Pro is a pretty niche item. There are 4 PS4 Slim consoles sold for every 1 PS4 Pro. Of those PS4 Pro sales 40% come from people upgrading from a standard PS4. Maybe this isn't news but it seems like the PS4 Pro is only selling to the biggest Sony fans and everyone else is happy with the cheaper PS4 Slim. It will be interesting to see whether the Xbox Scorpio does any better or if the mainstream market just isn't asking for these incremental improvements. I would probably be considering one if not both of these more powerful consoles if I didn't have a PC.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/06/ps4-pro-represents-nearly-one-in-every-five-ps4s-sold

In related news the gold PS4 Slim leak was accurate, not that anyone seemed to be doubting it. This is a limited edition 1TB console that will be available June 28th for $249. The standard PS4 Slim only has a 500GB hard drive and still officially sells for $299, although retailers like Amazon are currently selling the Uncharted 4 bundle for $249.

My guess is that they are going to announce a permanent PS4 Slim price drop to $249 at E3. It's unclear whether 1TB will be the new standard or if they are just doing that for the limited edition gold model. In Europe they are doing limited editions in both gold and silver but both of them come with 500GB drives so that makes a move to 1TB minimum unlikely.

It looks like the PS4 Pro is a pretty niche item. There are 4 PS4 Slim consoles sold for every 1 PS4 Pro. Of those PS4 Pro sales 40% come from people upgrading from a standard PS4. Maybe this isn't news but it seems like the PS4 Pro is only selling to the biggest Sony fans and everyone else is happy with the cheaper PS4 Slim. It will be interesting to see whether the Xbox Scorpio does any better or if the mainstream market just isn't asking for these incremental improvements. I would probably be considering one if not both of these more powerful consoles if I didn't have a PC.
Not really surprising. Those that care deeply about horsepower are already PC gamers.
For game console owners, the horsepower is secondary, they typically care about the catalog of games. And parents aren't about to spend an extra $100 to get their kid the pro version when they play the same games.

For that reason, I expect Scorpio to do about the same ratio as the PS4 Pro.

Not really surprising. Those that care deeply about horsepower are already PC gamers.
For game console owners, the horsepower is secondary, they typically care about the catalog of games. And parents aren't about to spend an extra $100 to get their kid the pro version when they play the same games.

For that reason, I expect Scorpio to do about the same ratio as the PS4 Pro.

I listened to an interview with Phil Spencer back when they first started talking about the Scorpio and he essentially said the same thing. He said they knew it was going to be a niche product for a specific group of people and that they expected the Xbox One S to continue to be their best selling model by a wide margin. Selling 4 slims for every Pro is a little wider margin than I would have expected but it's not a completely surprising result.

I am the kind of person who would be interested in the Pro and Scorpio but this is the same reason I also cared enough to build a strong PC. My PS4 only gets used for Sony exclusives and since Xbox exclusives are also on PC I have even less need for that machine. I wouldn't have bought one if I would have known they were going to do that. It really only gets used for playing games that didn't come to PC like Injustice 2 and Destiny. Lately it's been used to play backwards compatible 360 games more often than Xbox One games.

The point is that I'm a pretty hardcore gamer (hate that term) and I have room in my budget for the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio but I still don't feel the need to buy them because of my PC. I have launch models of both consoles and if they broke and I decided they were worth replacing I would go with the higher end models. As of now I have no need for them. Maybe I would feel differently if I had a 4K TV.

There wasn't much we haven't seen before during the PS4 E3 conference last night. It was mostly more in depth looks at games they revealed at E3 last year. Still, the Spiderman gameplay looks great. This is going to be a huge exclusive for Sony. There are other E3 games I want to play but Wolfenstein 2 and Spiderman are the clear standouts for me this year.

They clearly borrowed quite a bit from the Arkham series in terms of combat and stealth from above but the Arkham games are really good so I'm okay with that. They also added quite a bit of their own touches in terms of traversal and using the environment in combat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts