Review of Manhattan RS-1933

Could be I am not looking at any lists, just doing a broad scan of all the birds, something I have always wanted to do...

It might just be me but it does not seem like its Blindscanning but instead scanning a list of satellites as I noticed a few things that it missed that I am sure if I punch it in by hand will give me a good signal.

Could be I am not looking at any lists, just doing a broad scan of all the birds, something I have always wanted to do...

It might just be me but it does not seem like its Blindscanning but instead scanning a list of satellites as I noticed a few things that it missed that I am sure if I punch it in by hand will give me a good signal.

Well you can go in and manually delete tp's , I think, and then autoscan again. I'm pretty sure autoscan uses both the tp list and tp's found during the autoscan.

Well you can go in and manually delete tp's , I think, and then autoscan again. I'm pretty sure autoscan uses both the tp list and tp's found during the autoscan.

I do that with the news feed birds like the 99 on the Ku side. Delete every single transponder then autoscan to re-populate the list. I do that from time to time because the sat list will get so full with many transponders that are the same but different pids. It is simply quicker to delete and rescan than to flip and rescan each one I find. Have a great day!

It will only lock on to TV or Radio transponders. Internet, Data, ect. ect. will go down as failed. That said, it is nice to at least be able to show a signal on those type of transponders. It makes it easy to locate and fine tune birds that don't carry much video like AMC-16.

There are differences ( component output on Manhattan, for one , and remotes control codes are different, for two) , and it's NOT "double the cost" , but there are also similarities. I suspect the same API kit for the software, and possibly the same programmer. When the dust settles, they're closer to being similar than different, other than Manhattan-Digital North American support. I wouldn't have an S10, I want the component outputs as well as HDMI, and I need the different remote so my Solomend 800 can co-exist. :) Wouldn't mind rf output either, but that's not there.

Dear brentb636,

When they issue an improved model, I hope that it will include skew control. According to Mr. Schumann, the factory told him that too few people want skew control to justify its inclusion; but, I think that if he offers the factory extra money to produce a model that includes skew control together with other improvements, they will make it. As I see it, the problem is extra money. Manhattan's question might be, "If we pay, will they buy?"

Many thanks for describing your experiences. Accounts like yours establish a record, in these early days, and show Manhattan what their new baby needs to grow up strong and healthy. Skew control might help.

Gordon F. Corbett

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day outside working on my DISH and in doing so I found a number of issues with the Manhattan receiver.

One of the biggest ones is this issue, where I have it set to scan KU, yet it continues to to scan in C Band... but what makes it strange is the frequencies shown on the screen at KU Frequencies!

The LNB is a BSC621-2 and the KU is on Diseqc port 2. I have this setup this way in the settings on the Manhattan box..

I have only got it to scan in KU once, every other time I try it grabs the C Band instead.

Picture 1 shows me scanning KU band but for some reason picking up C Band instead (even though the box is reporting its picking up KU signals... (HUH!?)

Picture 2 shows me scanning again but this time actually scanning KU (Found a bunch of HBO's on KU!)

Picture 3 Shows the EPG showing programming on the HBO channels I found.

Picture 4 and 5 shows you the signals I am getting. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20110802_185445.jpg
    IMG_20110802_185445.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20110802_190933.jpg
    IMG_20110802_190933.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20110802_191334.jpg
    IMG_20110802_191334.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20110802_191527.jpg
    IMG_20110802_191527.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20110802_191601.jpg
    IMG_20110802_191601.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Another issue I found is that the signal meters on the Antenna Setup Screen does not always work.

This one had me confused for hours. I had a great signal on my SuperBuddy Meter but when I plugged it into the Manhattan it would not show a signal on the Antenna setup screen. I was close to calling for an RMA as I thought maybe the tuner was bad. The finally I said what the hell and did a scan... and it found the transponder and scanned in everything fine. Going back to the Antenna setup screen again for the signals it just found it had no signal reported. In fact I removed the coax fom the Manhattan and the signal levels shown on the screen were the same...

Very odd to say the least...

Attachments

• IMG_20110802_184848.jpg
    IMG_20110802_184848.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
I used to have that happen when I used my Coolsat 8000 with my Solomend on a 4x4 sw. A blindscan on the Solomend would bring in the Ku band channels and the Cband channels ( with their freqs all messed up, of course.) I ended up adding a Diseqc switch at each receiver and that seemed to cure the problem. You have a combo lnbf, which may not be curable the same way. :(

The LNB has the switch built in.

I just find it wierd that is finding signals on frequencies which don't exist.

I may just order another LNB as this one has been sitting in my basement for 2 years now. :)

I may just order another LNB as this one has been sitting in my basement for 2 years now. :)

Is the built-in switch that you're referring to a diseqc switch or a 22khz switch? I thought that I had read that there is an issue with the 22khz switches that needs to be fixed in the firmware..

(or maybe I'm way off in left field somewhere....)

I am still enjoying tinkering with my Manhattan.

I figured out yesterday that if you press the "SIZE" button on the remote, it allows you to select a single satellite and only tune through the channels on that satellite. It also gives you the option to select ALL satellites. It can be handy for channel surfing on a specific bird. I was scanning through some channels on 101 and kept accidentally surfing into channels from other satellites and the dish kept moving. I pressed the SIZE button for fun and found out that it can be used to select just a single satellite.

If , for example, the Cband data is available, while the Ku side is being scanned, the receiver , picking up the "leaking" data is going to assign Ku band freqs to the resulting scan ( and channel assignment) . The polarity and symbol rate will be correct, but the freq is just logged according to where in the Ku band the receiver is when it picks up the spurious signal.

I used to have the "bleed over" problem with my Pansat 9200. I just ran two lines from the lnb to the house and hooked up a diseqc behind the receiver. Doing that stopped the problem for me. Now my dish is primarily used by my 4D receiver and my Manhattan is slaved to it so my circumstances are different as the 4D receiver controls the polarity as opposed to the Manhattan. The Manhattan however selects the band..... Have a great day!

Note: I should add... I have a DMX741 and the switch on that feed is 22khz.

Scott
The receiver scans a set of IF frequencies (950-2150) and logs channels. What frequency they show depends on the LNB LO frequency. It doesnt care what you put in there...if it picks up a signal it shows

I could take my C-Band dish and say 11250 as the LO (like a DBS LNB) and scan....and it will pick up the frequency weird but still show it.

Here is how to prove it
Take the frequency shown on the screen...say 11100 and subtract the LNB LO (9750 in the case) and you get 1350. This is the IF frequency
Now take 5150 (the C-Band LO) and subtract the IF frequency (1350) and you get 3800

Check lyngsat or the list and 3800 has those CNN channels that show up on the screen scrambled

The diseqc switch in the menu should be
Diseqc 1 for C-Band
Diseqc 2 for KU

call the plumber , you have a leak somewhere, lol, but more likely it could well be what Davage said about the 22 khz switch. I beleive if motor is selected then the 22 khz switch capability is disabled on the Manhattan therefore if the Ku side of your LNBF is conected to the 22 khz port of the internal switch then no wonder you are getting C band stuff while scanning Ku. Nothing wrong with your set up Scott , it is either the Russian programmer or the Chinese factory worker the ones at fault, lol.

El colmo de un cubano, To scape Cuba to NA yet still being chased by the Russian/Chinese Ghosts lol!. Lets see what they say on the Sat Talk tonight , good thing my phone was not working few weeks ago , otherwise that russian programmer would have heard me!. I am no computer programmer myself but still , I do not know about the rest of the listeners , but to me he did not sounded like a true programmer at all. Its like a phisicist saying bah , you do not have to let the ball free fall 100 times and do error processing , just throw it once and that is enough to meassure g or gravity constant accurately!. On this one I am going to stick to what my mother told my father when discussing buying a new fridge in Cuba several years ago, When it comes to technology or equipment , never trust Russians or Chinese , stick to the American even if it is a 50 year old Philco Fridge!. And in case you are wondering , Yes, the american made ,Tecumseth engine powered, 50 year old Philco fridge still outlasted the brand new Russian made fridge!. Unbeleivable but true!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)