spaceway 2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
rad said:
LIL = Local into Local - DBS company provides local channels into local markets that they serve.

ConUS = Continental US - Normally refers to satellite orbital positions that can conver the continental United States. Examples, D* at 101 and E* at 110 are ConUS, E* at 61.5 isn't since it normally doesn't reach the west coast and E* at 148 isn't since it normally doesn't reach the east coast.

Thank you for the info

HDTVFanAtic said:
I am about to ask a question in an area I know enough about to be dangerous - so proceed with caution :)

Can I assume that the Spotbeams must be set up in advance (prior to launch) and cannot be changed on the fly on satellites?

If that is the case, as I would assume, then it would seem that somewhere in the FCC filings we could find out how many (if not all) Transponders were set up for Spotbeam and/or Conus as well as the area they intend the Spotbeam(s) to cover?

If all the above is true, it would seem you could get a true indication of the capabilities of the fleet - both LIL and Conus.

The spaceway satellites can have their spotbeams configured on the fly at any point at any time during any day. Now because the spaceway satellites can offer a massive amount of channels in spotbeam mode versus conus mode its actually better for them to offer national HD channels via spotbeams. So like was said before D* will use SW1 for the East Coast and SW2 for the West Coast states. So these two satellites would have a giant spotbeam that would cover half the united states. This system would allow them to offer national HD channels with ease but as you might guess they would need to have two seperate Starz HD feeds for example todo this. One Starz HD feed would be hosted on SW1 and another Starz HD feed would be hosted on SW2.

So to put things in simple terms conus the way we know it today is going to change very soon because a national HD channel that goes across the country to any and all subscribers will soon be delivered like a local HD channel.

What would be funny is that for customers who manage to hack D* hardware and access cards would be able to get every single HD LIL channel offered from all of the 4 satellites that server their coast. Today LIL SD channels up north with a hacked box can't even tune in those HD channels. Now again I don't condone the act of hacking but I'm just stating the future problems I see D* bumping into in the future with all this.

LonghornXP said:
Sorry can't say and what I do know isn't close to the full story but I do have a general idea and lets just say its a big enough mistake to cost a person their career not just their job.

Great, then they can't get a job with NASA.........whew! Sure hope they can't anyway...

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Great, then they can't get a job with NASA.........whew! Sure hope they can't anyway...

Barney
NASA has enough flunkies as it is.

Barneypoo69 said:

Barney

Man, that's a tough thing to say when the person lost their job/career. Hope they didn't have a family to provide for.

Spaceway 2 launch delayed 'til October according to Satellite News Digest.

This was also mentioned in Orbital's 2nd quarter financial report.

"The company expects that the Galaxy XIV and Galaxy XV GEO communications satellites for PanAmSat Corporation will be launched in the third quarter. These launches will be followed closely by the launch of the Telkom-2 spacecraft for PT Telkomunikasi Indonesia Tbk in the fourth quarter, which is now completing final testing at Orbital's Dulles, Virginia manufacturing facility."

THancock said:
Spaceway 2 launch delayed 'til October according to Satellite News Digest.

This was also mentioned in Orbital's 2nd quarter financial report.

"The company expects that the Galaxy XIV and Galaxy XV GEO communications satellites for PanAmSat Corporation will be launched in the third quarter. These launches will be followed closely by the launch of the Telkom-2 spacecraft for PT Telkomunikasi Indonesia Tbk in the fourth quarter, which is now completing final testing at Orbital's Dulles, Virginia manufacturing facility."
That information (and your link) is incorrect. The target of late August has still not been moved, and S2 may go up on its own if the other device is not ready in time.

pradike said:
That information (and your link) is incorrect. The target of late August has still not been moved, and S2 may go up on its own if the other device is not ready in time.

Where are you getting the info that the Aug. launch date is still firm?

What link are you talking about? The information from Oribital's (the manufacturer of the Telkom-2 satellite) 2nd quarter financial report is there for anyone to see. The Satellite News Digest website is there.

It will be interesting to see if D* keeps with what we've been told/rumored that no new HD channel announcements until both SW1 and SW2 are up. I know a number of folks that have posted that D* has until August/September to announce what their plans are or they're out of here. I know that personally I'd at least like to know what the plans are for what new channels when based on what such and such resource goes online. They don't have to say TNT-HD will be up on 9/30 but say that once SW2 goes online TNT-HD will be up within 4 weeks would be nice.

D* spent a lot of $'s hyping their HD plans and with no new news and no new programming that was just a waste of money since customers can live on promises for just so long. I'm getting tired of paying for D* and cable, one or the other will be going and right now it's looking like D* is the looser.

pradike said:
Im sorry but Im afraid you are wrong on this one! Spaceway2 and Telkom has been given a new launch date for October, although no hard date has been given, recent info Ive received from my friend has confirm early Oct. is the new projected launch date! However, a Aug. launch is still possuble although not likely. SW2 will not launch without the Telkom sat, as this will cause more problems such as reconfiguring the payload weight of the Ariane5 rocket, telemetry and fuel capacity as well as new contractoral terms between both D* and Telkom, and dont forget the loss of money! Delays happen all the time with sat launches so just wait and see.

Smthkd said:
Im sorry but Im afraid you are wrong on this one! Spaceway2 and Telkom has been given a new launch date for October, although no hard date has been given, recent info Ive received from my friend says early Oct. will be most likely!
Nutz....I was hoping that these two sat's could get a divorce, and S/W2
could get a single ride at a early launch date :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)