Spaceway 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Boeing will do extra testing before parking; after parking should do another round of tests before handing it to DirecTV; then they will do fairly extensive testing; maybe in the 45 - 60 day (or more) range.

Smthkd: do you know the exact date of final park? This might help guess-tamate an approximate "light-up" date.

Why does it take this long to get the SW2 turned over? E* just launched E10 a few weeks ago and I've seen threads that say that end or April they'll be lighting up channels on it. Just curious.

E* seems interested in providing more national HD. D* seems to be in no hurry. Maybe all they are worried about is SP2 meeting their HDLIL schedule.

just a guess.

Last edited:
But didn't SW1 have a possible anomaly, thus forcing them to take it easy with SW2 and maybe put it through a few more paces before loading it up?

rad said:
Why does it take this long to get the SW2 turned over? E* just launched E10 a few weeks ago and I've seen threads that say that end or April they'll be lighting up channels on it. Just curious.

Well maybe E* rushing things is why they've experienced more severe in-orbit failures than D*.

http://www.sat-index.com/failures/

Any word on SW2 yet? I see that E*'s lighting up Echostar X tonight, which was launched a number of weeks after SW2. Are there problems with SW2 that are causing a delay? I know that using Sea Launch will allow a satellite to get to geostationary orbit quicker then using other service, is it this much quicker?

I find this interesting too. Even with the rollout of HD locals beyond the top 12 isnt happening fast enough. I dont think all of the next wave is dependent on SW2. I wonder if D* chose the wrong technology and method to deliver HD lil. I like my D* but HD isnt coming fast enough. That 1500 potential stations doesnt mean jack if you cant even get beyond 12 HD lil markets. Sorry, just hate to see Dish moving fast. I got rid of them due to price and non HD LIL for Hartford/New Haven. If they offered HD LIL for Hartford/New Haven, my position would be very different right now.

Wow! I'm surprised to see SW2 still in testing while E* is busy moving over LIL...not to mention rolling out a very good (but software buggy) MPEG-4 HD DVR, deploying HD LIL in a number of markets (catching up to D*), and getting ready to light up more national HD channels (Starz-HD, Food-HD, HGTV-HD, and others?) by June.

I'm pretty happy with E* service, but they STILL haven't caught up to VOOM DBS in my eyes. I signed up with E* last year because they offered the most and best quality HD post VOOM DBS. I considered signing up with D* (on paper their HD plans sounded terrific), but I wasn't convinced they would be able to deliver until 2006.

Ok, my E* contract expires in exactly 30 days and I was really hoping D* would have their HD plans and promotions in place. Where are all these National HD channels and terrific HD promotion offers? If D* wants to be the HD Leader they had better do something...anything. If nothing else, I was hoping that D* would provide me with another viable option for our programming needs. But no HD = no ME!!!

I'm not trying to slam D* (I was really hoping they would be able to deliver by now), but their progress has been very disappointing...

riffjim4069 said:
Wow! I'm surprised to see SW2 still in testing ...
One thing to remember is that D* got the Spaceway sats from Hughes as part of the D* purchase. But one clause in the deal allows Hughes to use the birds for testing for 30 days. So even if Spaceway 2 is parked, Hughes gets to play with it for 30 days before D* gets it.

Remember, Hughes has Spaceways 3 & 4, so they want to know what they can do.

herdfan said:
One thing to remember is that D* got the Spaceway sats from Hughes as part of the D* purchase. But one clause in the deal allows Hughes to use the birds for testing for 30 days. So even if Spaceway 2 is parked, Hughes gets to play with it for 30 days before D* gets it.

Remember, Hughes has Spaceways 3 & 4, so they want to know what they can do.

SW2 was launched on 11/16/05
E* 10 was launched on 2/15/06

So even take into account the 30 day factor you mention that still leaves a two month difference between launch dates. Does SeaLaunch allow for a geostationary satellite to reach it's final position that much quicker the Arien? Or is SW2 having 'issues' like SW1 did?

vurbano said:
Maybe it doesnt work

You know thats my thinking. SW1 is being used but doesnt sound like to its potential. I know it had problems getting parked but I almost think the Spaceways are dissappointing. Dont have any insider information, just my gut at how slow this processing is going.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm not trying to slam D* (I was really hoping they would be able to deliver by now), but their progress has been very disappointing...

Thats my feeling. Its just been a let down. I still like my D* configuration and thank goodness I have HD LIL with my antenna but its just been so slow, global promises, HD Lite (I know I said it), and just a slow lathargic rollout and use of the Spaceways. Promises are great only if you can deliver. So far, HD for D* is mxed.

rad said:
Or is SW2 having 'issues' like SW1 did?
I don't think it was quite as bad, but it did take quite a while to get parked. Maybe they want to save fuel and since there was no pressing need (for them, not us:D ) to get it parked immediately, they took their time.

herdfan said:
I don't think it was quite as bad, but it did take quite a while to get parked. Maybe they want to save fuel and since there was no pressing need (for them, not us:D ) to get it parked immediately, they took their time.

They did indeed have a major problem with spaceway 1 that was last I heard fixed but beyond that I was told to shut the heck up or face their legal department. Beyond that I haven't heard anything about SW2 at least nothing bad. The problem is that DirecTV has made things very very very hard for us people with contacts to get good information as everything is being kept so tight lipped now. They could very well have a major problem with SW2 and I nor anyone else will ever know as the people leaking that information are being watched in various ways. Very few have access to this type of information now and they are being watched. I don't mean they are being watched in the literal sense but in a general sense.

This is why I nor anyone else has given anything new about more specific hardware related things. For example the programming, new trial plans and such will still be leaked as they aren't keeping this type of information closed off.

So lets assume there is an issue with SW2, what does that lead you to think of that supposed HD LIL list sched floating around that someone says DirecTV emailed them? I think the earliest date is the 19th.

AND why would DirecTV email an entire list of cities to a few users as opposed to many? I am in Phoenix, DirecTV since 3rd month of existence and HD since 1st week it was offered, I have never received that list from DirecTV, nor anything about the PHX date alone; so what is the determining factor of get that list if it is 100% legit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)