VOOM vs. DirecTV Comparison

I cancelled Voom didn't like their Exclusives which are all suppose to be 1080i.

I have Direct TV currently with no HD. Now Direct TV has the more sharp picture over the "soft type pictures that Voom has for their SD channels. I also noticed that when i was with Brighthouse that their HD channels were more vibrate than Voom's HD channels.

Can you set the V* STB to come on, say... for when you want to tape a show in the middle of the night while sleeping?

Marco in HD said:
Can you set the V* STB to come on, say... for when you want to tape a show in the middle of the night while sleeping?

Yes, if you have software version 55c or the latest one tonight, you will be able to use the Planner that can accomplish exactly that!

Does the Voom box up-convert to the native resolution (1080i & 540p) of my tv (of SD programing) or will I still have to rely on my tv to do that?

Marco,

Yes, the STB offers such options as all->1080i, all->720p, all->480p, and all native. The all native option does not work very well on some (all?) sets now, because there seem to be minor blackouts at times while it switches between different types of signals. The all->1080i mode fixes that.

Ken F said:
Marco,

Yes, the STB offers such options as all->1080i, all->720p, all->480p, and all native. The all native option does not work very well on some (all?) sets now, because there seem to be minor blackouts at times while it switches between different types of signals. The all->1080i mode fixes that.

Just making sure, that's for SD programing? Right.

If so, that is GREAT.

Ken F said:
Marco,

The native option works fine on my Panny plasma. I don't like a SD picture upconverted to 1080i and then downconverted to my plasma's native rez. SD looks best in 480i (unless you have an expensive external scaler).

I really feel that it has to do with what HD receiver you are dealing with. The haze that some see on the SD ch's might be the fault of VOOM's receiver rather than VOOM's signal. That being said ...is it safe to say that all HD receivers are not created equal? I have watched Directv's HD and have to say that some HD ch's are better than others. It really has to do with the quality of the broadcast. But if you are watching DiscoveryHD on Directv and compare it to VOOM...you are going to see a different picture because you are dealing with two different HD receivers that are connected to two different inputs on your tv. I know that HDNET knocks my socks off when I watch it...then when I watch VOOM some concerts on RAve makes me go "wow what a picture".

andrzej said:
The native option works fine on my Panny plasma. I don't like a SD picture upconverted to 1080i and then downconverted to my plasma's native rez. SD looks best in 480i (unless you have an expensive external scaler).

What is you P* native res and why not set your box to that?

Marco in HD said:
What is you P* native res and why not set your box to that?

Because my plasma's internal scaler is better than the Voom's box scaler. Therefore, less scaling by the Voom box the better.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, if you have software version 55c or the latest one tonight, you will be able to use the Planner that can accomplish exactly that!

Unfortunately, it is a very rudementary planner that only schedules 1-2 days in advance. It can be very cumbersome in the sense that if you select a future program from the guide it defaults to only displaying a reminder that the selected show is about to begin. If you want it to automatically change channels (useful when you want to record), you have to exit the guide, go into you program planner, select any programs you chose to "remind" and change the selection to "auto on". This requires 5-6 extra buttom pushes. Voom would do better to allow us to select a future program from the guide with one buttom push which automatically defaults the program planner to "auto on", with an immediate option to push another button to "remind on".

Other improvements on the planner to make it truely "recorder" usefull is to allow a week or more advance capability or at least the capability to always tune to "x" channel at "x" time every week/day.

Another "combersome" issue with the program planner is you must scan into the future by 1/2 hour increments. Running ahead a day or more becomes, I'll use the word again, cumbersome.

on my 1080i RPTV monitor its easy to tell if the exclusives are 720p. hook up component cables, press the red button until all lights flash so it passes native resolution. switch tv to component input. if its 720p you get no picture. yes some of the channels are 720p. I think this is because the component cables wont pass the 720p signal? AM I correct?

I dont shut it off incase they push an update, ive heard they do it from 12 - 3am. I love that the motorola box runs pretty cool. Id never leave my hughes e86 HIRD reciever on over night. I would not want to die in a house fire....lmao

Sean I have 55b, how do I get 55c?

was over a friends house I convinced to get voom, it showed 55a, I rebooted it for him and 55b was there. How do we know when to reboot the reciever? I leave mine on all night incase of a push.

vurbano,

Turning the receiver off (also known as standy) without unplugging it is the preferred way to get new updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)