CONFIRMED: New version 6.10 has arrived! (Please post your observations here)

The horizontal position works...... sorta

OK got up this morning and the Voom box was on. I turned on the TV and there was no guide information. I rebooted the box and let it sit while I took a shower. After that I tried the guide again with no information still, maybe that will update before the wife gets up.

I also tried the horizontal positioning and low and behold IT WORKS. If you change the setting and hit save and exit it moves!! I was amlost floored at this point BUT... when you hit the watch button it goes back. =( If I had one wish for Voom it would be to make this work and stay.

ChetK said:
I received the update last night. Those of us who weren't targeted earlier in the day, must have been targeted closer to 10:00pm CST because I was checking the menu every so often yesterday evening.

Is there a list some place of the fixes? So far, this seems like a pretty un-eventful update.
  • I had absolutely zero problems with OTA channels before, so this mapping did nothing for me. I did the scan and did not get any more channels (other than subchannels that I'll never watch :rolleyes: ).
  • I am happy about the microstutter being gone.
  • I did not get the transparent menu that wasn't supposed to make it, but some people got.
  • I'm hoping that there are no more 2-second black disturbances while watching Voom with this update, but only time will tell.
  • The PG does pick up on the current channel I'm viewing, but it only works for the "All Channels" button. I'd like to see this on all of the other guides. Then I might actually use the favorites feature.
Other than that, is there anything worth noting in this update?

This update has one major fix --- Microstutters and one major feature --- OTA Scanning and the Installation Wizard. Both required a lot of coding in the background to which none we will see. The Transparency surf bar is not a feature but more like something left by accident. You can go back to page 9 or 10 of this thread and find out how you can get it to show.

martin21

6.10 downloaded last night. no problems. ran scan local channels. no joy for any CT channels. one dt channel from Long Island added. Fox New York continued. probably means off air antenna needs new rotation.

martin21 said:
6.10 downloaded last night. no problems. ran scan local channels. no joy for any CT channels. one dt channel from Long Island added. Fox New York continued. probably means off air antenna needs new rotation.

Martin,

welcome. Yes, you need to rotate antenna to the direction of those towels and run the scan to lock unto them. I am in the bronx and can pick up channel 49 WEDW from CT but ABC is a problem (too many drop outs). I tried the UPN (they show Star Trek in HD) channel on the same tower as ABC and that's a problem as well.

I haven't received the 6.1 update yet but reading the stuff here it seems like there is no manual scan for OTA. I'm also in CT and the only way to het ABC and UPN at the same time with FOX, NBC and CBS is to have a rotator. So how am I going to save the channels with automatic scanning when I need to rotate the antenna?

vader said:
I haven't received the 6.1 update yet but reading the stuff here it seems like there is no manual scan for OTA. I'm also in CT and the only way to het ABC and UPN at the same time with FOX, NBC and CBS is to have a rotator. So how am I going to save the channels with automatic scanning when I need to rotate the antenna?
See above post...with each subsequent scan previous channels are not lost.

Box reset

When I woke up this morning my box was on and had been reset.. When it gets a new download does it reset and turn on by itslef? :confused:

Thanks. Hopefully I got the download last night - did not check this morning.

Got it last night

Was not targeted when I went to bed, but received it overnight anyway. Seems to work fine.

However, PG had still not updated after 1 hour from rebooting. Other times I've had to reboot, it also took a long time (at least 30 min). I've heard other people getting it in 10 min. What's normal?

Native mode seems to work much better in switching between HD and SD channels.

Have not tried OTA scanning - a little nervous about screwing up what I already have. Am I being over cautious?

Paul

Received the update this morning. So far everything is ok. Tried the OTA Scanning and picked previously unmapped channels. I got 19 new ones although they are the sub channels, but at least the scanning worked.
So far not experiencing any channel breakups but have not scrolled through many as yet.

The OTA signal meter now is a little misleading with the new scale. CBS-DT here is very spotty for me and I only receive it watchable about 25% of the time. And when it is watchable, the signal was at about a maximum of 30. Most other channels were at around 90 signal.

Now that I have the new 6.1 update, I checked it out early this morning and CBS was coming in (with minor dropouts) with a signal of around 85! :shocked And most others were around 95. Huh? I can see making some adjustments to the way the signal is displayed, but to have it go from 30 to 85?!? I wish it would make the signal more reliable too. :(

My box was on and tuned to channel 100 this morning, so the download came and took care of everything. Full program guide and no need to reboot at all. Am I an exception as so many have had to reboot.

The best new feature for me will be the All Channels guide rturning to the current channel. I have no OTA reception so that part is moot for me.

Shelly

FunkyBoss said:
The OTA signal meter now is a little misleading with the new scale. CBS-DT here is very spotty for me and I only receive it watchable about 25% of the time. And when it is watchable, the signal was at about a maximum of 30. Most other channels were at around 90 signal.

Now that I have the new 6.1 update, I checked it out early this morning and CBS was coming in (with minor dropouts) with a signal of around 85! :shocked And most others were around 95. Huh? I can see making some adjustments to the way the signal is displayed, but to have it go from 30 to 85?!? I wish it would make the signal more reliable too. :(

That's does not sound good. It looks like a bug. I will inquire.

craigs2553 said:
Received my download last night. went from 6.00 to 6.10. I had no problems with the receiver. Just hit the power button on the remote and came right on. I did notice that the guide info was missing. I had to leave for work but i am sure it downloaded ok. I hope this new version helps the OTA scanning feature.
I picked up about 10 new OTAs when my 2nd box downloaded last night. :D Haven't had a chance to see if I get them all yet.

My 1st box downloaded on Monday night and only picked up about 5, I think, but that might be because it's on an old 20" SD set in my bedroom and I can't read the menus very well. Now that I have it on my HDTV, and know exactly what the menus say, I'll retry the bedroom set doing it by braille. Probably not until Friday though. :(

Vicki

Got mine last night, but only a brief look so far. Did not have to reboot. Came on full screen channel 100. Did the OTA scan and it worked fine. One problem, a previously mapped channel from out of town that I cannot receive, am unable to "hide" because it does not appear in the channel list even thought it has been mapped for months and still is after the scanning. Got rid of a couple channels, but would like to get rid of this one also.

Just a note...

Sean Mota said:
This update has one major fix --- Microstutters and one major feature --- OTA Scanning and the Installation Wizard. Both required a lot of coding in the background to which none we will see. The Transparency surf bar is not a feature but more like something left by accident. You can go back to page 9 or 10 of this thread and find out how you can get it to show.
First, I want to thank you for the way you so often put in reference links when you answer posts. :D That has really save this Newbie a lot of time! :bow :clap

In real long threads, it might be helpful to reference date and time approximations rather than page number. Yesterday I saw a post that talked about this thread being 10 pages already, and I went :what because I only showed 5! When I saw your post this AM, I realized that it depends on how you set your options, and I had changed mine from 20 posts per page to 40; hence 10 pages for you and whoever made the reference yesterday, 5 for me... :bounce :eureka

Again, thanks for all your hard work and helpfulness. :D :D

Vicki

Shelly,

You're not alone...woke up this morning and the STB was on. Turned on the TV and it showed channel 100. Check the guide. Everything looks like it is in order. No re-boot required. I get all my OTA fine; never had problems with OTA so it was no biggie for me. In the Dallas area, if I remember, we get a total of 10 OTA HD channels mapped on the STB. I will check tonight to see if the upgrade added any more OTA channels.

Wishlist: I use "Favorite" exclusively and was hoping that by hitting the Favorite button, I would be return to the current channel instead of all the way to the top of the list. Hope next upgrade will add this feature. I don't use "All Channels" at all.

Don't know what all the fuss was about with micro stutters. Never had the problem. I use component input from day one instead of DVI so maybe that was the issue.

Maybe I am one of few, but I have had very few problems with my Voom box or the voom guide. I've had a total of three re-boots in the past 4 months.

Tony.

I got home last nite to find I had gotten the update, STB was on. No reboot needed. The best surprise was NBC, this channel was hit or miss, with the new software signal went from 12 to 90+, that is great! I do have the transparent menu now also. No need to scan for locals as all are great now.
Very pleased. Im located 25 miles NW of Dallas.