DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I looked at the Keep AMC Facebook postings last night and it was filled with cable and other customers complaining about it. I don't believe in the conspiracy theory either, but it is common that you get a bunch of people that just want to complain whether it involves them or not.

Bingo this is what I have been saying.

Of course this does not make look good to possible new customers. But who knows maybe the way they are looking at it that the damage has already been done. DISH has seen in prior disputes a lot of noise made but hardly any action taken as most do not follow through on their treat to leave (if they are even real)

The old saying goes, actions speaks louder then words.

Bingo this is what I have been saying.

Of course this does not make look good to possible new customers. But who knows maybe the way they are looking at it that the damage has already been done. DISH has seen in prior disputes a lot of noise made but hardly any action taken as most do not follow through on their treat to leave (if they are even real)

The old saying goes, actions speaks louder then words.

Really in the big scheme of things this is small potatoes.
Remember when dish took down Voom? That was
a suite of channels.
They had CSRs dedicated to damage control.

I really don't think this will affect dish in the least.
They are old pros at this.

The thing is how many fires can you put out at one time?
Lawsuits, disputes with programmers?
After awhile people just get tired of it.

piranesi said:
True. Facebook and Twitter are echo chambers producing nothing but noise. Something that impacts or bothers 1000 people gets repeated and retweeted by 10,000 and then by 100,000. Never with thought or commentary or discussion or questions...just thoughtless repetition...empty echoes at the click of a frowny icon.

That's why forums like this will always be more useful than "social media" widgets.

But...I wonder how far corporations like Dish are in figuring this out? The numbers from something like this may still frighten them but at some point people will realize that 1000 te-tweets or "likes" is NOT the same as 1000 letters or 1000 calls or 1000 posts about something and it certainly doesn't mean 1000 people are going to buy/sell subscribe/quit something.

We're not talking about retweets or likes here. These are individual posts on the main Dish Facebook page. If you look at the page yourself you will see that this isn't a canned message posted over and over again. The canned repostings came from dish telling their customers they moved the channels to the 9000s to reflect the quality of their programming.

I looked at the Keep AMC Facebook postings last night and it was filled with cable and other customers complaining about it. I don't believe in the conspiracy theory either, but it is common that you get a bunch of people that just want to complain whether it involves them or not.

I've also looked at the facebook page several times and I haven't seen a single person post that they weren't a Dish customer. I have seen many people who claim to be long time customers who will be switching over this. I have also seen many many people who believe the channels are already gone.

Edit: I have to apologize a little bit on that one. I never actually went to the Keep AMC facebook page. You very well could be right talking about random people liking that. I was referring to the 1000s of people posting on Dish's facebook page.

Edit 2: I just searched Keep AMC Networks on facebook and there is no official facebook page. The only thing that comes up is a small fan made page with 63 likes. My original comment stands. I don't see anyone saying they aren't Dish customers on the facebook page.

Last edited:
Not willing or able to weed through 105 pages of posts, so if this is already common knowledge, I apologize: AMC has been moved to Channel 9609. Also, as a fan of The Killing,I can say that downloading it so as to eliminate commercials makes a big difference. The flow of the show can be glacial at times, but the repeated interruptions just destroys the continuity that a slow-paced show presents.

Edit: I have to apologize a little bit on that one. I never actually went to the Keep AMC facebook page. You very well could be right talking about random people liking that. I was referring to the 1000s of people posting on Dish's facebook page.
Yes, the Dishnetwork home page, I feel is atleast 95% legit, why would we even think its not?
Now the AMC page, sure I bet there are some bad apples making some noise, But I bet over 50% are still legit.

Amc is a high rated channel, As much as Dish doesn't want to say it is, because he's throwing a temper tantrum.
I would rather look at customer expressing how they felt about how I was running my business, instead of the yes men telling me its going to be OK, those channels sucked anyway. Those are Robots posting on your facebook. :lalala:

Some of us here need to stop trying to make lite of this dumb descision Dish Network will mostlikly make.

Of course the customers are upset.

Last night I made the tough decision to make the switch to DirectTV. The promotional deal is almost too good not to pass up. Not only am I cutting my bill in half for the next 12 months, I'll also be getting the NFL Sunday ticket free next year which is pretty awesome. I was a loyal customer to Dish for over 5 years spending over $100 a month for their service. It's too bad Dish is having a problem with one of my wife and I's favorite channels. The installer will be here on Thursday. Thanks to all you guys on the Dish forum. Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.

I totally agree with Dee..............

I am paying for a product that I am not receiving. If this was a once in a while thing, that would be different, but Dish seem to get its jolly's by trying to play hardball with its vendors..........that only works for so long & only so often. We are still waiting on the Disney dispute to end. During football & basketball season, I want to watch the games in HD & can't on ESPNU. My family also enjoys ABC Family, but again the HD version has been taken away. WFN HD has been taken away, Outdoor Channel HD isn't even offered. Most of these channels are available on the local cable system, but not Dish

Thanks for the link. I noticed all these networks and channels have shows for sale on iTunes just like AMC. Some may even have lower ratings than AMC. I guess all these "devalued" networks will be the next to go:

Anime Network
FUNimation Channel

Since when does Dish carry these 2 (except on PPV or On-Demand)? Am I missing something for all these year? I WISH they carried them! And Fearnet too! :)

fuzzfacefrombboard said:
Since when does Dish carry these 2 (except on PPV or On-Demand)? Am I missing something for all these year? I WISH they carried them! And Fearnet too! :)

So I missed 2. You completely missed my point which is practically every network also sell shows on iTunes. Selling on iTunes is what Dish claims is a major reason for dropping AMC.

I totally agree with Dee..............

I am paying for a product that I am not receiving. If this was a once in a while thing, that would be different, but Dish seem to get its jolly's by trying to play hardball with its vendors..........that only works for so long & only so often. We are still waiting on the Disney dispute to end. During football & basketball season, I want to watch the games in HD & can't on ESPNU. My family also enjoys ABC Family, but again the HD version has been taken away. WFN HD has been taken away, Outdoor Channel HD isn't even offered. Most of these channels are available on the local cable system, but not Dish

Why couldn't Dish only buy the HD version of ABC Fam and Disney (since Disney wants $$ for both SD & HD) and down convert the HD feeds down to MPEG2 SD like they're doing for HDNET now??? Less $$ to shell out, but it would provide HD to those of us who are wanting it, but still providing it to the SD folks...

Heck, if Disney starts a trend w/ extra $$ for each feed, it's the thing to do for all the others who want to try it....

I know, little bit of a hijack, but still close to topic...

Why couldn't Dish only buy the HD version of ABC Fam and Disney (since Disney wants $$ for both SD & HD) and down convert the HD feeds down to MPEG2 SD like they're doing for HDNET now??? Less $$ to shell out, but it would provide HD to those of us who are wanting it, but still providing it to the SD folks...

Heck, if Disney starts a trend w/ extra $$ for each feed, it's the thing to do for all the others who want to try it....

I know, little bit of a hijack, but still close to topic...

Because Disney won't sell the HD channel rights unless one buys the SD channel first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)