DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

"Dish says that it has dropped AMC permanently, but most analysts predict an August pre-trial settlement or a September agreement— right before October's Walking Dead premiere. Because the success of The Walking Dead plays so heavily into AMC's bottom line, and is the one AMC show with enough ratings power to spur mass defections from Dish, both companies will want to reach an agreement before the season premiere."
I don't see that happening. IMO amc won't be back until 2013.

"Dish says that it has dropped AMC permanently, but most analysts predict an August pre-trial settlement or a September agreement— right before October's Walking Dead premiere. Because the success of The Walking Dead plays so heavily into AMC's bottom line, and is the one AMC show with enough ratings power to spur mass defections from Dish, both companies will want to reach an agreement before the season premiere."

I would be very surprised if this happened, maybe AMC will want an agreement, with the credits and roku's being offered I think Dish does not plan to have AMC back....but I guess never say never, let's see what does happen come fall

The Walking Dead is like the Sopranos. Everyone that I know watches it. I know the average person, like my parents, aunts and uncles, have no idea what a Roku is, and want nothing to do with more tech in the living room. Its a chore to get my parents on Netflix with the Wii. I personally just switched to D*, but was going to anyway with them not having any NY RSN's. The AMC fiasco just made it easier with the Wife. When I told her Dish dropped AMC, and she wouldn't be able to watch the Walking Dead, her reply was we have to switch providers.
I really think that Dish may have overplayed their hand in this one. I can see them loosing a good amount of subs over this, come October if they don't get AMC back. It's one thing to claim to be trying to keep prices down in a fee battle, but Dish is doing this and screwing their customers for their own gain in this lawsuit.

I would be very surprised if this happened, maybe AMC will want an agreement, with the credits and roku's being offered I think Dish does not plan to have AMC back....but I guess never say never, let's see what does happen come fall
I've heard from sources that cannot be named(not csr"s either) that AMC should be back on in Sept if not the last of August. I hope they're right.

dakeeney said:
I've heard from sources that cannot be named(not csr"s either) that AMC should be back on in Sept if not the last of August. I hope they're right.

Anything is possible. I was surprised that AMC was even in HD on Dish (and even before D* added it). You just never know what may happen.

As a consumer, I am frustrated by the impasse. However, Dish has kept me happy to remain with them by offering us credits for Breaking Bad, and said they'd be happy to do the same with Walking Dead when it begins this fall as well.

I can easily get both shows through Amazon Apps on our Blue Ray player. Between the Hopper/Joey system upgrade and this, I'm happy as a pig in poopy now :D

Which should make AMC shudder...

Breaking Bad has stabilized its ratings:
Two Weeks Ago- numbers:
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM22941.2

Last Week's numbers
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM21971.1

This Week's Numbers
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM22871.2

AMC, the channel, though gained 100,000 viewers from last week to this week and is 15th overall again (Average Daily Viewers - 12th 18-49 Prime time). Other networks lost a ton of viewers last week. I would say AMC is now stable with an average of 500,000-550,000 average daily viewers. The number in June was closer to 650,000-700,000. So a GUESS, that Dish cost AMC about 150,000 average daily sets of eye balls.

Ergen Leaves Little Hope For AMC Settlement - 2012-08-08 18:52:44 | Multichannel News

Ergen Leaves Little Hope For AMC Settlement
Says Dropping AMC Networks Will Benefit Dish
Mike Farrell -- Multichannel News, 8/8/2012 2:52:44 PM

Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen didn't offer much hope of a reconciliation with AMC Networks, telling analysts on a conference call this afternoon that although he may lose some customers for dropping the channel, most won't notice.

Ergen Leaves Little Hope For AMC Settlement - 2012-08-08 18:52:44 | Multichannel News

Ergen Leaves Little Hope For AMC Settlement
Says Dropping AMC Networks Will Benefit Dish
Mike Farrell -- Multichannel News, 8/8/2012 2:52:44 PM

Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen didn't offer much hope of a reconciliation with AMC Networks, telling analysts on a conference call this afternoon that although he may lose some customers for dropping the channel, most won't notice.

Well, my wife sure has noticed. We can't find Kendra on Top on anything except the WE channel.

The Walking Dead is like the Sopranos. Everyone that I know watches it

True, True,
I'm a D* sub, and I personally don't watch any of the AMC shows except for "Mad Men". The rural area we live in, everyone has a dish of some type. Since Dishnet pulled AMC, In-laws, Co-workers, etc, who sub to Dish have been pissed. I had no idea the AMC shows had that kind of fan base, crazy. Lots of folks around here trying to switch to D* because of this. My Sister-in-law just switched from D* to Dishnet a year ago, and is now trying to switch back.... sad to see the AMC fans who sub to Dishnet going through this....

True, True,
I'm a D* sub, and I personally don't watch any of the AMC shows except for "Mad Men". The rural area we live in, everyone has a dish of some type. Since Dishnet pulled AMC, In-laws, Co-workers, etc, who sub to Dish have been pissed. I had no idea the AMC shows had that kind of fan base, crazy. Lots of folks around here trying to switch to D* because of this. My Sister-in-law just switched from D* to Dishnet a year ago, and is now trying to switch back.... sad to see the AMC fans who sub to Dishnet going through this....

Yeah, I only watch Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, and TWD are the only one's I watch. I hate to miss them but life goes on. Besides look for an agreement to be signed before the end of Sept.

Yeah, I only watch Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, and TWD are the only one's I watch. I hate to miss them but life goes on. Besides look for an agreement to be signed before the end of Sept.

While anything is possible reading the confrence call info, sounded like If AMC comes back it will be a while (if at any time)

Last edited:
AMC Q2 Earnings Ascend on Revenue Gains - 2012-08-09 13:00:14 | Multichannel News

straight from the AMC CEO

The No. 2 DBS provider stopped carrying Sundance Channel on May 20, and dropped AMC, IFC and WeTV on July 1. "The termination of Dish Network's carriage will have a material impact on our revenues, AOCF and operating income in future periods," the company said. "Although Dish Network's termination has reduced the company's total subscribers by approximately 13%, the impact on our AOCF and operating income, if it continues, will be material higher.

AMC Q2 Earnings Ascend on Revenue Gains - 2012-08-09 13:00:14 | Multichannel News

The No. 2 DBS provider stopped carrying Sundance Channel on May 20, and dropped AMC, IFC and WeTV on July 1. "The termination of Dish Network's carriage will have a material impact on our revenues, AOCF and operating income in future periods," the company said. "Although Dish Network's termination has reduced the company's total subscribers by approximately 13%, the impact on our AOCF and operating income, if it continues, will be material higher.

What I said at the beginning. DISH dropping AMC will hurt Cablevision more than DISH. Because they revenue from the advertisers will drop due to the lack of viewers. Eventually the amount of money that Cablevision can charge for commercials will drop due to the lack of DISH viewers. Eventually they will have to drop their demands for more money if DISH is to carry them. That and work out a better solution to the Voom lawsuit. IF not , Hell will freeze over before Charlie Ergen will carry them again.:popcorn

What I said at the beginning. DISH dropping AMC will hurt Cablevision more than DISH. Because they revenue from the advertisers will drop due to the lack of viewers. Eventually the amount of money that Cablevision can charge for commercials will drop due to the lack of DISH viewers. Eventually they will have to drop their demands for more money if DISH is to carry them. That and work out a better solution to the Voom lawsuit. IF not , Hell will freeze over before Charlie Ergen will carry them again.:popcorn
I agree. If the dolans are waiting on Charlie they will be waiting a long long time.:D

Sapan also mentioned a dispute with another key affiliate."Dish Network dropped our networks to gain leverage in an unrelated lawsuit. The trial is scheduled to begin September 18 in New York State Supreme Court," he said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts