DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I can only assume they didn't want any more people calling to cancel because they couldn't see The Walking Dead.

I agree, I think it shows that AMC's Walking Dead was hurting Dish a lot more than they wanted to admit, and people were signing up with another provider then calling to cancel Dish and it was already too late for Dish to recover the customer.

mike123abc said:
Egads, I just got a robo call from Dish telling me that AMC is back on... They really want people to know AMC is back on Dish.

Same here. Called my cell, didn't answer, looked up number, thought great some sort of billing issue. Checked voicemail and it was about the AMC thing. Whew.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Wow! I go away for a week and when I come back all Hell has broken out! AMC is back on Dish...Zombies are roaming around once again for all Dish subscribers to see... IFC, WE, and Sundance are waiting in the wings to start broadcasting again on Dish...There's seem to be a peaceful harmony in this thread now, and Charlie seem to have had his master plan all come together the way he wanted it to, give or take a detail here & there...I'm so glad I'm back!

Ghpr13:)

...There's seem to be a peaceful harmony in this thread now...
or possibly put another way as disgust and disinterest ...

I'm one of the few that left Dish (for Directv) and got their Breaking Bad before having to go the internet route.

I got the roku and two of the credits before leaving ... but its a toy unless you invest time into it.. gratefully I haven't.

I agree, I think it shows that AMC's Walking Dead was hurting Dish a lot more than they wanted to admit, and people were signing up with another provider then calling to cancel Dish and it was already too late for Dish to recover the customer.

I think it was a two way street. AMC lost a significant block of viewership because the typical (read: not SATGUYs members) had no clue what happened to AMC or were not going to go through the trouble to switch cable/sat providers over 1 or 2 shows.

In the end content providers need distributors and distributors need the content providers. It doesn't work any other way.

I got the roku and two of the credits before leaving ... but its a toy unless you invest time into it.. gratefully I haven't.

No it's not, I spent a little time adding channels, just as I would to a guide, and now I simply watch it. No toy to watch HBO GO free, Amazon shows and movies (for me mostly free) TWIT programming, BBC, etc etc..... And I'm glad I stayed with Dish. :D

That's what they said about the automobile...the Roku platform, or a similar one, will likely make satellite TV ....obsolete.

downriver said:
That's what they said about the automobile...the Roku platform, or a similar one, will likely make satellite TV ....obsolete.

Not until we get adequate broadband Internet service in "the sticks".

Not until we get adequate broadband Internet service in "the sticks".

The number of households who cannot get broadband is relatively small. Here in Siskiyou County most everyone gets DSL, even off the grid. and we have fibre optic in the works. and we are truly "in the sticks". If you can't get Broadband, you and your neighbors should be raising hell with your congressman and local utility

"Broadband penetration in the U.S. is continuing to grow and is now stands at 90 percent of U.S. households that have a computer at home. With over 80.3 million broadband subscribers in the nation, computer ownership is at the heart of broadband divide. Two percent of all online households say that broadband is not available in their area – compared to 6 percent in 2008. Overall, 1.3 percent of all households are interested in getting broadband, but say that it is not available in their area."

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/04/90-of-us-households-with-computers-have-broadband/

No it's not, I spent a little time adding channels, just as I would to a guide, and now I simply watch it. No toy to watch HBO GO free, Amazon shows and movies (for me mostly free) TWIT programming, BBC, etc etc..... And I'm glad I stayed with Dish. :D
1) "mostly free" "spent time adding channels" (hint, I know my channel numbers, guide, ####, and I'm seeing what's on, not adding channels just to get the chance to look to see what's available)

2) HBO Go must be supported on Roku by the provider, you're *not* getting it for free.. you subscribe to hbo, dish backs hbo go on roku (directv does not) ergo ... not free (unless you're getting it illegally, just because you stream it doesn't mean its free)

3) CBS as example.. current prime time shows are visible (tile / icon / place holder) but have ZERO content or have only snippets/clips of shows. Many past prime time shows do have some full episodes available.. but its no replacement for having the content live, same day or same week as any of the pay options (hulu plus, or subscribed through any of a bunch of services)

4) until more recently many channels were hidden requiring you to search the internet to find out how to add them

too much time investing in getting it setup, only to have restrictions, no content, and mindful on the amount of scrolling and selecting you do, any time waiting for content to start, only to fail and having to try something else.

your mileage may vary ... but I'd rather have something I can turn on, tune in, and be watching in less than 30 seconds, than scroll scroll scroll ... select, maybe get ... scroll scroll scroll again, find something else.. try that .. it failed too..

for free you get what you paid for .. and rather than invest time ... I'd rather do something else..

TG2 said:

I'm one of the few that left Dish (for Directv) and got their Breaking Bad before having to go the internet route.

So you're that guy. Get the free item then screw. I'm not judging, just taking a quick note.

The number of households who cannot get broadband is relatively small.
And one other thing you seem to not understand.. what *is* broadband?

http://www.broadband.gov/download-plan/

Page 24, footnote 33 ... 768k or higher!!

33 See Obi, the brOadband availability Gap. Seven million
housing units without access to 4 Mbps terrestrial
service are outside the cable footprint and are more than
approximately 11,000 feet from the nearest DSLAM
location; 6 million housing units with 12 million people
do not have access to any always-on service with actual
download speeds of 768 Kbps or higher as they are
more than approximately 16,000 feet from the nearest
DSLAM. Note that the analysis excludes satellite
broadband because satellite capacity is limited,

so ... it may be there.. and may give them access to a high speed network .. but is it affordable? ... I'm paying 60+ a month for the standard 6 meg offering from comcast .. that's not affordable, when people living closer into town get the competitive rates from DSL at 8 meg for 49 bucks. ...

and not to mention I pay a higher rate because *I* don't have cable TV ... just their internet. (f-ing bastards)

So you're that guy. Get the free item then screw. I'm not judging, just taking a quick note.
well.. if you want to look at it fairly.. we screwed each other.. Dish still made out on the deal because I had to pay 2 months early term fee ... as to the get free then jump ship.... with what I'd been through with all the frustration of Dish up to that point.. it was only fair that I get to screw them over.. (522 then 722k dvr problems not to mention their s**t of a site called DishOnline when compared to what they had under Dish Remote Access) ... so.. yeah.. dish still made out..

All the things I listed are free, as in I pay no more to watch them on my 55" screen in HD via Roku. Shows that are not on TV anywhere. If you are going to insist I am paying for it because I have to subscribe to HBO or Amazon Prime, then I am getting my money's worth with the Roku, that I would not without it.

If you do not have a fast internet connection it may take time to load, quite fast for me however, and once loaded plays all the way through with no buffering.
Nothing of what I listed is hidden. But yes, a few gems can be found by looking at any number of lists on the internet I have bookmarked. Not rocket science.

I think you are confusing the Roku taking the place of my Satellite subscription or of Cable. I have long said it does not do that, and may not for various reasons. (As you are correct on the availabilty of Broadband and future cost of it)
But as a supplement that costs me essentially nothing more to use, it's great.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing the Roku taking the place of my Satellite subscription or of Cable. I have long said it does not do that, and may not for various reasons. (As you are correct on the availabilty of Broadband and future cost of it)
But as a supplement that costs me essentially nothing more to use, it's great.
I'm not confusing it .. but saying.. its not as great as everyone makes it out to be ... more simple to be able to pull up a guide ... or DVR menu and be on the stuff that you want, than the Roku .... a lot of time can be spent on trying to setup the roku (my example with CBS ...) only to find show content appears (folders / icons / show names) but then there is no content there .... time that ends up being wasted ...

I'm sure there's a list somewhere .. that someone maintains for the love of the thing ... that could be called a sort of "Guide" but its not with the ease of use of any of the major players and their "Guide" buttons.

I'm not confusing it .. but saying.. its not as great as everyone makes it out to be ... more simple to be able to pull up a guide ... or DVR menu and be on the stuff that you want, than the Roku .... a lot of time can be spent on trying to setup the roku (my example with CBS ...) only to find show content appears (folders / icons / show names) but then there is no content there .... time that ends up being wasted ...

I'm sure there's a list somewhere .. that someone maintains for the love of the thing ... that could be called a sort of "Guide" but its not with the ease of use of any of the major players and their "Guide" buttons.

I agree 100%. I got the free Roku and after a hour of scrolling... I realized I just took a step backwards in watching entertainment. Cancelled my Roku account and moved on.

And one other thing you seem to not understand.. what *is* broadband?

http://www.broadband.gov/download-plan/

)

What is it that makes you think I don't know what constitutes broadband? and why is it that you think satellite service is affordable if internet service is not? is it a matter of priorities? The point is that Roku or a similar platform is technology that could very well make satellite television transmission obsolete...which likely is the reason Charlie has bought in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)