GeosatPro Micro HD

Is a picture worth a thousand words?View attachment 78650Yes, of course AMC18 - 105W C-band, NBC is received without stutter of freezes.
I have not had any stutter of freezes on these feeds. The problem encountered is with the audio on the AZBox it comes donw as 8 seperate tracks and one can choose one of 4 different pairings of these to listen to, none of whihc are "right". I have been told one can somehow record the feeds digitally on a computer and combine the audio, but this is beyond both my skill set and that of my computers.

NBC has a strange set of audio PIDs and not one of them is exactly right, in my opinion. Typically, though, I select the one that currently sounds best. Using Tsreader on a computer, though, with a Profs 7500 tuner, for example , you can select several audio PIDs , if you choose, and combine the audio. You may like that as a better option, but no receiver is going to overcome the way that NBC splits up it's audio on these feeds. You pretty much have to choose which audio PID best suits your needs at the moment. :)

NBC will be my first test of the Micro when it gets here. The July 17 software in my Openbox works quite well, but NBC is the only feed that still has a mild freeze once in a while, especially on the Today Show prep prior to air time. They do some strange stuff to that feed.

NBC will be my first test of the Micro when it gets here. The July 17 software in my Openbox works quite well, but NBC is the only feed that still has a mild freeze once in a while, especially on the Today Show prep prior to air time. They do some strange stuff to that feed.
That is my favorite thing to watch. :)

My azboxes did NOT blindscan very well, nor did they have a particularly sensitive tuner module. They also had intermittent issues with motor control. The MicroHD stb is better in all these areas.

SOOOOOOOO true
AZbox wouldnt work with Diseqc 1.2 properly
the blind scan on my elite sucked...well it was pretty much non-existant

Its so nice not having to bang my head on the table because the receiver doesn't work properly....the MicroHD just works :)

Psssttt ... (whispering quietly) hey Ice, you can tell us, how much are they paying you to write all this good stuff?

(just kidding) It sounds like you have AT LAST found a receiver that you really like.

I'm going to order one but it'll cost me more than most, since I have to wait a few weeks before I can get mine and I wont be able to take advantage of the special price with free shipping. Other things are taking precedence for now.

Photto

When I first got my AZbox I LOVED IT... then I got a Manhattan and loved it more, it had a MUCH better tuner then the AZbox, and now I have the microHD and I love it even more and the tuner is even more sensitive then the Manhattan.

Do I regret buying any of these boxes? Hell no, all of them were revolutionary when I got them! There was nothing better!

But you can see in this short time span how much better the equipment has gotten!

I have been looking at the AZBox Me, but am not interested in beta software. I am one of those guys however who likes having all the bells and whistles in one box, such as online video streaming and local media playback, and from what I am seeing AZbox is leading that way. Are the satellite tuners as sensitive as the one found on the microHD box? That I dont know. But I do know that the way things are changing there will be something more powerful then the microHD some day.

As far as the Manhattan goes it was a great box but I don't know what happened to it, just one day you stopped hearing about it and there have been no new software updates or announcements of upcoming new hardware.

There are a lot of receivers out there appearing out of nowhere which kind of scares me as they have not been FCC tested nor were they created and designed for the north american market. Honestly who do you get to support those boxes? As many of you with Openboxes have already learned this lesson. Instead of getting your boxes fixed the guy who sold you it says sorry buy another... thats not cool.

Have you noticed other FTA forums all pusht he product that they are selling? We don't sell satellite receivers here. And while SatelliteAV is a sponsor here that has ZERO impact on how we review a receiver. Look at how we pushed the Manhattan when it came out they were not a sponsor here. Same goes with the Azbox.

So for me I can safely say that the microHD is the current "King of the Hill" FTA Satellite Receiver. There is no better box currently on the market. Will the microHD remain the King of the Hill box? The way the industy is moving I think its safe to say the answer is no. But if we say it's the King of the Hill receiver created for and supported by the North American Market then the microHD might be king of the Hill for a long long time.

Psssttt ... (whispering quietly) hey Ice, you can tell us, how much are they paying you to write all this good stuff?
not a penny. The thing with SatelliteAV is they know that on reviews I will be honest and point out both good and bad.

(just kidding) It sounds like you have AT LAST found a receiver that you really like.
yup :)

When I first got my AZbox I LOVED IT... then I got a Manhattan and loved it more, it had a MUCH better tuner then the AZbox, and now I have the microHD and I love it even more and the tuner is even more sensitive then the Manhattan.

Do I regret buying any of these boxes? Hell no, all of them were revolutionary when I got them! There was nothing better!
agreed.

As far as the Manhattan goes it was a great box but I don't know what happened to it, just one day you stopped hearing about it and there have been no new software updates or announcements of upcoming new hardware.
very true. There were software updates and the "beta testers" would let Manhattan know of the issues and they were fixing them. Then **poof** no updates in a while

Have you noticed other FTA forums all push the product that they are selling? We don't sell satellite receivers here. And while SatelliteAV is a sponsor here that has ZERO impact on how we review a receiver. Look at how we pushed the Manhattan when it came out they were not a sponsor here. Same goes with the Azbox.

Brian specifically wrote on the packing slip "For an honest review". He knows if there are issues we'll point them out and he will get that fixed right away.
If the "biggest" issue I came across so far is the renaming of channels when reblind scanning a satellite well then obviously SatelliteAV is doing something right.

They got most everything working right except motor and switch conflicts. I gave up asking and waiting for that fix. Since the rest of it works ok, not much reason to talk about it.

They got most everything working right except motor and switch conflicts. I gave up asking and waiting for that fix. Since the rest of it works ok, not much reason to talk about it.

Yep, I can't complain about the hardware, or the responsiveness of the unit at all. It's a pleasure to use, if you use it within the limits of the software. I don't know why Jeff Schuman has been so intransigent about making it as flexible as other receivers, but so far, it's not as flexible as my Solomend 800, but better and snappier, within it's limits. :(

16APSK is another MPEG4 modulation that allows greater resolution or reduced bandwidth. Once again, requested by North American uplinkers for their clients and also used in portable uplinks.

Huh? MPEG4 modulation? modulation is just modulation, nothing to do with compression. They might be related in some equipment but..... Kinda like how normally you see only HD on 8PSK but I've seen SD on it as well.

This is not a review since I do not have a microHd at the present, but one is ordered and hopefully on it's way.

Ok, while I am waiting for my microHd to arrive, I have a question conserning my new 2 TB external drive which I intend to use with the microHD and the rest of my satellite setup.

My Tv is equipted with two HDMI and one USB ports which will come handy while using the microHD. So far I have not had a need to use neither of the ports.

Can someone please give an idea or a clue of how am I going to interface the external drive to the system in order to be able to download and save programs or shows to the external drive and use it as a DVR.

Thank You in advance for any help offered.

Thanks again ...avenger.

all you do is plug the hard drive into the USB port on the back of the MicroHD. Make sure to format it and there ya go :)

Ice, how does the MicroHD handle Montana PBS? Is there any stuttering like on some of the other S2 receivers?

all you do is plug the hard drive into the USB port on the back of the MicroHD. Make sure to format it and there ya go :)

Thanks Iceberg, that sounds simple enough. I bought the external drive during "Black Friday" 2011 specifically for the microHD. Now I can finally put it to a good use.

Thanks for the excellent review and explanations of the functions of the microHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts