Good Points And Bad Points After The Software Update (Are you Targeted?)

DIGITAL~DAN

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 9, 2004
WILMINGTON,N.C
I thought it would be nice to start a trend about what you think of the receiver after the update!Do you notice any changes ?Do the channels change any faster?what are your thoughts?

i just got it.. software version shows V00.05.5C

channel browsing is alot faster for me. woohoo.. im off to sleep

edit:

checking in the menu...

satellite signal quality: 96
off air quality: 22 (will get better antenna this week)
satellite signal power / snr : 73 / 15.52
off air signal power / snr : 48/18.20

I must be getting it now. The green satellite indicator on the STB is lit, but so is a red LED that is in the middle of that same display area. Turned on the TV and it went to the Voom menu, but can't navigate it yet. Will try again after a cup of coffee.

I had to reboot the STB. Software version still is 5.08, so no change yet. All channels still mapped correctly, and PG is loading as normal. I looked in System Status, and the date displayed was 12/31/2003!! I said to myself--what the h... is this? Waited a few minutes and system status date changed to 3/22/2004. I was wondering if I'd been transported to the "Twilight Zone" or had gone "Back to the Future".

Still at 05.08...reboot and waiting did nothing. :no

Listening to audio drop-outs on HDNews. :eek:

Edit: Should have added that box was not on past 11 EST and phone line plugged in (if it matters for this update)

Any idea (anyone) how often they plan on sending the signal and/or why we didn't all get the update?

Bill

Here's a comment from Wilt from the Yahoo forum:

Hit "help" and "info" buttons on the remote. There will be three sets of numbers that appear.
The upgrade will have the last set row of numbers at "55c".
The plan, as I recall, was to do 20% this first night and continue from there.
Wilt

According to Wilt, only ~20% of boxes were scheduled to receive the update last night. The rest will get it over the course of the week.

I posted this in the pther threadt too...

I have two receivers. One, which I left in standby mode, got the update.

The other, which I left on, did not.

Wilt had said a few weeks ago that the update would search out boxes in standby first and then find the oothers eventually. I guess that is what happenned. I forgot to turn my other one to standby.

So far I've noticed much faster channel changes (ahhh) and the different satellite power/quality calculations. I haven't had a chance to check out the program planner or anything else yet.

Great update!!! Channels change faster, signal strength has changed from 39 to 82 plus they give you signal to noise ratios.

Mr. Biggles said:
Any idea (anyone) how often they plan on sending the signal and/or why we didn't all get the update?

I would imagine it is done for a couple of reasons. 1) To minimize the impact on their call centers in a worst case scenario. In case things didn't go according to plan, only 20% of their customers would be affected and not 100%. 2) To minimize bandwidth utilization. To hit every box in the manner that they are doing with that many updates would require a lot of bandwidth or time. (I would have thought they would have just "multicasted" it).

I would imagine it is done for a couple of reasons. 1) To minimize the impact on their call centers in a worst case scenario. In case things didn't go according to plan, only 20% of their customers would be affected and not 100%
Exactly. Dish Network has done the same thing with many of their more recent updates. The bandwidth is a non-issue.

They will probably update more receivers every morning (3am est) until it's done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)