Good Points And Bad Points After The Software Update (Are you Targeted?)

andrzej said:
I know that Wilt said that on Yahoo, but it's not clear to me how this can work. Can you force the Voom satellite to start uploading the upgrade? I thought that Voom sends the upgrade over a few night hours and then stops and waits till the next night. Can anybody nearby their Voom setup can check this out? I am stuck in my office for a while... :mad:

Andrzej
I think the software download is continuous. It will only be "grabbed" by boxes it is targeted/programmed for. I think the overnight part of it is that it will force an automatic reset at that time as well.

from yahoo

Yeah, I double-checked, it won't do any good unless you're already "targeted". Either way, all should be done by week's end.
Sorry,
Wilt

I got the update last night as i said above. I suck at writing reviews, but the main thing for me that i notice is:

Channels changes is a helluva lot faster for me.

The guide is faster, only updates the blue part where the info is, instead of the whole screen as it sometimes did before.

Signal numbers is on a diff scale.

No popups so far about having to buy the 'big package' to view some of my 'regular package' programming. Also no Pay-per-view popup.

It did lock up for me this morning, but i did a front reboot/reset and it was back. Channel names were gone. I went to the guide and it told me it would dl the info again. Took a few minutes, but no info, just channel names. I didnt check for a good while (hours) and everything was back after that.

Just went and checked my 2nd receiver and it did NOT get the update. I turned them both off (standby? the sat button on the remote) last night and i saw one of them update (bunch of blinking orange lights, reboot, etc)

EDIT:

I just checked with the Help-info buttons and this is what shows:

Epg: 1.9.6D
Otv: C0117
Nep: 55c

obba said:
Channels changes is a helluva lot faster for me.
Could you please quantify that? Is it less than 3 seconds?

Is the Program Planner enabled?

Thanks!

Sean Mota said:
How do you know if you are targeted for an update?
I guess, by the Target Software Version line on the System Status screen.

Ilya said:
Could you please quantify that? Is it less than 3 seconds?

Is the Program Planner enabled?

Thanks!
ok, i tried to count;) and its something like a second. Noticeably (sp?) faster.

Not sure about the Program Planner, it comes up saying:

EMPTY PROGRAM PLANNER

There are no programs in your Personal Planner

Press BACK to Return

So it may be functionable i dont know.

obba said:
ok, i tried to count;) and its something like a second. Noticeably (sp?) faster.

Not sure about the Program Planner, it comes up saying:

EMPTY PROGRAM PLANNER

There are no programs in your Personal Planner

Press BACK to Return

So it may be functionable i dont know.

It sounds like the PP is functional. Anybody else can check?

No update here either, but my guess is that they changed their coding on the signal strength so that it reads higher. On a scale of one to 50, we were all in the 40's, if they changed it to a 100 scale, then we would all be mid 80's, and everyone wants a signal in the mid 80's!!!! I will greatly welcome the quicker channel flipping time.

The remote needs an exit button to remove the damn channel info...the "info" button is in a bad place, but i guess a downloadable update ain't fixin' that quirk!

digideal said:
The remote needs an exit button to remove the damn channel info...the "info" button is in a bad place, but i guess a downloadable update ain't fixin' that quirk!

Press the "watch" button to exit...

I received the update at 12:38 am. The channels change on my unit in 2 seconds about 90% of the time, otherwise 3 seconds. The receiver powers up to the last watched channel. My signal level went from 46 to 91. All of the channels come in but the system info page shows 000 for sat channels and 00 for off-air.

Jeff

digideal said:

The WATCH button acts like the "exit" button you are looking for although you may have to press it twice

Any changes as far as the Program Guide? Is it still limited to 6 hours?

Ilya said:
Any changes as far as the Program Guide? Is it still limited to 6 hours?

What do you mean? I can go as far as three days in advance with mine. BTW, I just go home and no upgrade. :)

Sean Mota said:
What do you mean? I can go as far as three days in advance with mine.
Is that so? I thought mine was limited to six hours...

Ilya said:
Is that so? I thought mine was limited to six hours...

I just checked the PG and mine goes all the way to 3/25 at 10:30am. So it is not quite 3 days but 2 days and 10 hours.

Well the unplug deal did NOT work & screwed up my system to the point of two factory resets, a manual tune, and prayer. I do get a new channel OTA for the trouble, but no updated SW.

Tim

Your software will not be updated unless you are are on the targeted list for that day.They are doing about 20% of the people each day.Their goal is 20% a day for 5 days equals 100%. They are using the units serial number on how to target your receiver so, I quess all we can do is be patient until your number comes up.

WHOOPIE! I'm targeted!

Just noticed my system status said target software .5C. I think Wilt said earlier if you're targeted you could maybe force the download by unplugging for 10 seconds. I just unplugged at 8:55pm, it went through the light cycles and hasn't come back up yet. I'm pretty sure its downloading. Its been on but blank for 5 minutes now. I'll wait it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)