Great News - Voom Is Here To Stay!!

justalurker said:
These two deals (R1, licenses and uplink center to E* and the rest to VoomHD) effectively does that COMPLETE with covering their losses. This is the best thing that could happen for Cablevision. (Other than Voom being a success and bringing in money while they still owned it.)

Once the final hurdles have been cleared (financing and definitive agreement) there will be a lot to celebrate. But congrats on having a plan.

JL

When you say "uplink center", you mean Blackhawk in South Dekota. The VOOM programming uplink is not in the E* deal.

Airblair said:
As an E* subscriber, I'm going to chime in here.

I think this sale, if anything, increases the likelihood of the FCC approving the sale to Charlie Ergen. Remember, the Dish/DirecTV merger was scuttled because the FCC didn't want one company monopolizing satellite TV. Before this news came out today, Ergen could plausibly argue that the market had determined there was no room for a third satellite provider. So the FCC couldn't really determine that the sale would harm competition.

Now that, apparently, there is still room for that third provider, the FCC has even less of a basis for opposing this sale on competitive grounds. I'm sure that someone--perhaps Dolan, perhaps the FCC--will insist on keeping the VOOM channels lit on the old bird until they can be transitioned to the new one.

But my understanding is that the FCC previously commented that they wanted the current Voom frequencies used for a 3rd DBS service. If there were no viable 3rd service, then there might be reason to approve a transfer. But with a plan to keep a 3rd DBS service up and running, why would they now switch their position? I don't follow your logic given the FCC's stated preference.

- jame

(BTW, I was a longtime E* sub before switching to Voom.)

Airblair said:
As an E* subscriber, I'm going to chime in here.

I think this sale, if anything, increases the likelihood of the FCC approving the sale to Charlie Ergen. Remember, the Dish/DirecTV merger was scuttled because the FCC didn't want one company monopolizing satellite TV. Before this news came out today, Ergen could plausibly argue that the market had determined there was no room for a third satellite provider. So the FCC couldn't really determine that the sale would harm competition.

Now that, apparently, there is still room for that third provider, the FCC has even less of a basis for opposing this sale on competitive grounds. I'm sure that someone--perhaps Dolan, perhaps the FCC--will insist on keeping the VOOM channels lit on the old bird until they can be transitioned to the new one.

I have to agree about FCC approval. Recognize also that the deal for the satellite, frequencies and uplink center was between Cablevision/Rainbow and Dish, not the new Voom HD corporation. Perhaps Dish can make a deal with Voom HD for Dish's old SuperDishes for AMC-6/Rainbow-2 since Dish is coming out with new, lighter, less wind resistent SuperDishes.

Airblair said:
I think this sale, if anything, increases the likelihood of the FCC approving the sale to Charlie Ergen. ...

What your statement is missing - mathematical logic.
If you will think logically the FCC will likely shutdown sale of Rainbow - 1 to E* on the ground that this deal will hurt the DBS competition.

Long live Voom HD! :)

jame_g said:
But my understanding is that the FCC previously commented that they wanted the current Voom frequencies used for a 3rd DBS service.
The FCC comment was they wanted the two SPARE frequencies at 61.5 to go to a 4th DBS service.

rocatman said:
Perhaps Dish can make a deal with Voom HD for Dish's old SuperDishes for AMC-6/Rainbow-2 since Dish is coming out with new, lighter, less wind resistent SuperDishes.
VoomHD doesn't need E*'s configuration. For Rainbow1 and Rainbow2 they would need something similar to a 121 dish, but with no DBS LNB in the center FSS casing.

And that is assuming programming stays on 61.5 . E* wants the satellite and the licenses for their own purposes. They may make a little money off of VoomHD during the transition (if ownership of R1 passes before VoomHD moves the content) but in the long run they will want Voom OFF of their satellite.

JL

Well, one major piece of news at a time. Dolan has to have a plan regardless of where the frequencies go in order to make a viable offer. So I'm just happy that Voom Lives! :bounce And next interesting piece of news will be what the sub count is at the end of 4Q04.

Hear, hear!!! Well said!

jame_g said:
Well, one major piece of news at a time. Dolan has to have a plan regardless of where the frequencies go in order to make a viable offer. So I'm just happy that Voom Lives! :bounce And next interesting piece of news will be what the sub count is at the end of 4Q04.
Betcha' they're gonna be gratifying! :D Vicki

Finally, some new REAL news on VOOM's fate.

Knowing Charles Dolan's history as a businessman, this move to form VOOM HD LLC does not come as a huge surprise.

Great news for VOOM subscribers and the growth of HD programming in general.

Great news for Cablevision as they can cleanly get completely out of the satellite business.

It seems to me that just about everyone comes out a winner.

I am one very pleased camper that VOOM lives.

I've also got Charter Cable service with SA8000HD HD-DVR unit and I can tell you that while the Charter HD PQ is very good, the VOOM PQ is unquestionably superior. Recording the Super Bowl in HD with the Charter HD-DVR while I was at work was just terrific -- the playback was PERFECT.

Now just get that freaking VOOM DVR into Best Buy, Circuit City or Costco in time for peeps to spend their income tax refund. :)

Charles Dolan, you have my respect and sincere thanks.

DucTape said:
branchbouncer
I have read somewhere I believe where it was said that C at Dish and C at Voom were friends and if they couldnt merge maybe this was thier way of scratching each others back. Who knows but I do know the more choices we have the better we all will be in the long haul.

That's what I was thinking. Why else would a $1 Billion sat sell for only 200M with the uplink center. This seemed like a steal, and I don't believe for a minute that the Cablevision board of directors was just anxious to dump VOOM so they had a fire sale.

This is great news. I hope Voom will get Install Inc to start being held accountable for their sloppy work. I just talked to a CSR and she told me plans were still on to have 70 HD's on March 1, 2005.

Can't wait til tomorrow-
Phillip Swann will predict voom's survival, And his newsletter will have the date Feb. 8th, 2005.

Great News!

This is great news. . . Good to hear that Voom will survive. This is a good day for all Voomers! :D

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside sitting here without a commitment contract. But Voom still needs a few more selections in them SD or HD channels for me to move cause I still like the shows on many channels they don't offer. Maybe one day....

jame_g said:
But my understanding is that the FCC previously commented that they wanted the current Voom frequencies used for a 3rd DBS service. If there were no viable 3rd service, then there might be reason to approve a transfer. But with a plan to keep a 3rd DBS service up and running, why would they now switch their position? I don't follow your logic given the FCC's stated preference.
For this reason, I predict the FCC will deny the sale/transfer of VOOMs DBS frequencies to E*. I also predict E* will use Rainbow-1 to replace it's aging sat at 61.5. We'll have to see what happens at the FCC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)