Help with streaming 4:2:2 feeds on Galaxy 16

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, I'm trying to stream ABC 4:2:2 feeds on G16 with no luck. Do you have any suggestions? My setup is as follows:

Receiver: OS MIO+ 4K with TNAP 4 firmware
Signal strength for ABC feeds on G16 = 11.6 dB

I have tried all these devices with no luck, however all devices do stream 4:2:0 video such as the Caribbean mux just fine:

Android tablet running DreamDroid with VLC (or using built in decoder)
PC accessing OpenWebIF and VLC
Raspberry Pi (Linux) accessing OpenWebIF and VLC

All devices play 4:2:0 feeds fine but just a black screen with 4:2:2 feeds. I appreciate any feedback you have.

Regards,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.

I stream the ABC and CBS 4:2:2 services daily to both Android / DreamDroid with VLC and Windows 8/10 PCs using OpenWebIF and VLC.

Same on ABC and CBS? Do you get the audio or both blank video and blank audio? What Image and version?

Hi Brian, I don't know where the CBS feeds are located, so I haven't tried them. I'm running TNAP 4.0 dated 12/20/20. On the MIO receiver I get what look like squares from previously used channels and sometimes audio. I realize the 4:2:2 signals won't decode on the receiver. And as I said I don't get audio or video when trying to stream from an external device. Maybe my dish needs some tweaking, I'm not sure.

Vy 73,
Alan Rovner, K7AR

Hi Brian, I don't know where the CBS feeds are located, so I haven't tried them. I'm running TNAP 4.0 dated 12/20/20. On the MIO receiver I get what look like squares from previously used channels and sometimes audio. I realize the 4:2:2 signals won't decode on the receiver. And as I said I don't get audio or video when trying to stream from an external device. Maybe my dish needs some tweaking, I'm not sure.

Vy 73,
Alan Rovner, K7AR
I believe they're at 89W. C-band of course. They scan in as SN2A/B/C/D/R

Both networks work here with TNAP 4.x streaming to windoze pc running Kodi. All wired gig ethernet though, no wifi.

This may be a novice question but here goes. Is OS Mio 4k able to playback a 4:2:2 recording or Is the ability of an Android box to playback 4:2:2 feed related to the support within the Amlogic chip that isn't supported by the decoder chip within the OS Mio 4k?

This may be a novice question but here goes. Is OS Mio 4k able to playback a 4:2:2 recording or Is the ability of an Android box to playback 4:2:2 feed related to the support within the Amlogic chip that isn't supported by the decoder chip within the OS Mio 4k?
The mio can't decode 4:2:2. You'll need to stream it via vlc or some other program that can decode it.

Thread is old i'll put this here as this is about watching 4:2:2 so I had been just streaming with my lap top connected to the TV with hdmi using kodi. Now that i'm also now using streaming services I decided to get a xbox to use as my streaming device and to stream satellite and my locals kinda like a tablo using kodi and the enigma2 client add-on . The xbox works good for this but I have found a problem with some of the satellite channels don't stream well it is the AVC 720 and 1080. The 480 AVC satellite channels are ok. 4:2:2 does stream perfect though. Also no widevine cdm support in Kodi so that means no add-ons that use DRM can not be used. Kinda disappointed with the xbox series s for this as much as it costs just to use as a streaming player. I am not a gamer.

Sort of late to this party but if streaming to VLC on an AndroidTV box, what is the best way for VLC to receive or find the .m3u8 address for the stream from the OS Mio 4k? Has anyone tried streaming 4:2:2 feed to an Amazon FireTV 4k?

Last edited:
Sort of late to this party but if streaming to VLC on an AndroidTV box, what is the best way for VLC to receive or find the .m3u8 address for the stream from the OS Mio 4k? Has anyone tried streaming 4:2:2 feed to an Amazon FireTV 4k?
maybe KODI or Plex can be installed on it to stream from the MIO4K? Thinking FireTV is linux or andriod based, should be something that works. I really don't know how to use the internal processor on a TV to make it work, I just use an old laptop and HDMI cable.

I downloaded the .m3u8 address for each channel with WebIF and then copied to thumb drive. Plugged thumb drive into OS Mio4k which can be seen from other devices on network. I'm thinking there has to be a way to get m3u8 address without download first to PC but maybe not.

No issues streaming 4:2:2 feeds to wireless NUC PC on network. Streaming to FireTV 4K Max stick with ethernet connection and S905X3 Android TV box with wired ethernet connection were both epic failure. Depending on feed, there are dropped frames or video locks up after 1 second, which I'm assuming means it doesn't have the hardware support to decode. Has anyone been successful streaming to an Android TV box? S922? Wondering if Nvidia Shield would work? Connecting a PC to TV in family room isn't really an option.

Just because. I've been using a Zgemma H7 in client mode streaming from my osmio4k.
For the longest time I streamed from the mio to pc webif> VLC, Fire TV.
Long story short. Once I read the fine print. The mio had to be in standby for the remote devices to be able to stream other channels besides the transponder the mio was on. I tried openatv, openvix, tnap.
Will have to dig up a 4:2:2 and see.

There was only one device i had that did 4:2:2 through KODI. That was the original Amazon Fire TV box from 2014. It could NOT keep up with the the later generation higher quality 4:2:2 streams. I no longer utilize the FireTV, but am searching for a newer generation KODI box.

I myself am curious if the Nvidia Shield Pro can do it.....

I'm sure I could probably stream most SD and HD channels but the only reason for me to stream is to view 4:2:2 feeds. Other than PC, trying to figure out what can view them with VLC or equivalent. I was surprised the S905X3 device couldn't handle playback smoothly so I'll keep looking. Is it possible to install a Linux build of VLC on Enigma2?

I'm sure I could probably stream most SD and HD channels but the only reason for me to stream is to view 4:2:2 feeds. Other than PC, trying to figure out what can view them with VLC or equivalent. I was surprised the S905X3 device couldn't handle playback smoothly so I'll keep looking. Is it possible to install a Linux build of VLC on Enigma2?

When I go to plugins, extensions on my Edision I am seeing vlcplayer listed as available for download. I never tried it though so don't know what it's capabilites are in Enigma 2.

When I go to plugins, extensions on my Edision I am seeing vlcplayer listed as available for download. I never tried it though so don't know what it's capabilites are in Enigma 2.
Are you running TNAP and if so which version? I haven't spent much time with plugins and need to find some time to play.