Manhattan Update 3.3 thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay, Tony, I've set it up and I'm recording. Seems I'm spending a lot of time re-cabling today ! :) I'm going to shower while it's recording, and I'll check it out when I dry off ! :)

Tony, I'm seeing the same thing. Right now I'm locked in a loop, so I fast forwarded out of it. Then as it goes on some more, it happens again. There's definitely a problem there. :(

Iceberg - I have not had a chance to test this today, but I saw this a few weeks ago when you had mentioned the dual recording on the same mux.. I thought at the time it was a goof up on my part, but - perhaps it's a common problem... I'll try to dig further later tonight.

I put the usb hard drive on my PC and the playback is fine. So the problem is playback, not recording....Checking out the Solomend 800 recording on the same feed.....

I finally figured out how to play the Manhattan recording back on the Solomend 800, and the problem still exists. Same symptoms. I can FF out of the strange lockup , but it comes back. MIghty odd, and repeatable on both receivers, but it plays fine on a PC with VLC .

Tony, I guess the thing to do is get the smallest recording you can make, that faults out, and send that to Jeff Schumann. Then he'll have something to work with. I could always mail him my 16 minute recording, but I doubt his email could handle it. :)

shoot I already nuked the recording...

Its just weird that its that ONE feed and it happens weekly
its not high bit rate (that I know of)
13000 s/r isnt that big of a s/r
its not frequency specific as they have used different frequencies and polarity weekly
The Montana State feed (which uses the same symbol rate but a different TP) works fine

I can watch the game fine.

3) The video resolution IS displayed except in the 480i instance. Get on a HD channel and you'll see it.

Now I see what you are talking about after paying attention to that most of today while looking at feeds. Before today, the item always seemed to say "1080i_30" and I figured that was because it was what I set my tv resolution output to. I realize today that not every feed says that - I found a SD feed that said NTSC-M or something like that, and then I tried a known 720p feed just to see what the video resolution would say and it reported 720p. Now I know that line in the INFO screen actually gets updated and just doesn't always report the resolution setting I selected in the receiver config menu.

I also found the audio codec info (previously mentioned to me in this thread) on that same screen. I'd still like to see video codec info listed (MPEG2 video or H264 video) in some future firmware.

Well it appears that there are still a few bugs. Ice, I tried to get the results that you did with recording to no avali. That said it is Sunday morning and I wasn't recording the transponder that you and Brent did. Guess I'll wait till next weekend unless I find so9mething out on a different frequency. Thanks for posting that. I sent an e-mail off to Jeff this morning summerizing all that has been said here.

I was able to confirm that the "RES" or "ZOOM" button has a bug. Sometimes it will cause the receiver to reboot. It don't happen all the time, but it is something that needs cleared up so heads up there.

Skysurfer, I mentioned to Jeff the video codec thing. That would be nice to have. That said, I was only used to a receiver telling me if the signal was "S-2" or "DVB S". Never had the luxery with my other receivers telling me other than that. Thats why I was questioning you about it.

Ice, I have recorded alot. Never saw a problem like you reported. Looks like there is another problem to work on. Just one question.... Could the recording trouble happen because of the uplinker doing something to prevent recording? I don't know so acting stupid here. But in this day od copyright crap, that question came to mind seeing that it is only on that one broadcast reguardless of the frequency. So either it is something in the data stream that is incompatable with the receiver, or they are doing something to make it that way on purpose. I will search the sky for another problem like that. I will uncover one if I am licky, and if not then wiat till next weeks game. I will also cross check it with my 9200 and see what happens. Any other input on this problem would be appreciated.

Everyone have a great day! :)

NOTE: These intermittant "bugs" will be the hardest to track down. But With the support that we are getting I am sure they will be figured out. Thanks to everyone for good constructive input. Together we can make this receiver the best it can be!

Last edited:
"ce, I have recorded alot. Never saw a problem like you reported. Looks like there is another problem to work on. Just one question.... Could the recording trouble happen because of the uplinker doing something to prevent recording? I don't know so acting stupid here. But in this day od copyright crap, that question came to mind seeing that it is only on that one broadcast reguardless of the frequency. So either it is something in the data stream that is incompatable with the receiver, or they are doing something to make it that way on purpose. I will search the sky for another problem like that. I will uncover one if I am licky, and if not then wiat till next weeks game. I will also cross check it with my 9200 and see what happens. Any other input on this problem would be appreciated. "
Michael, it's pretty odd. It's not a big bandwidth signal, and it plays just fine on a PC, using VLC . But I can duplicate Iceberg's find here as well. Since the BUG also happens when you play back the same stream on my Solomend 800, it gets even more strange. :)
Regards,

I just ran the file through Tsreader, and there are no errors of any kind in the stream. The Stream is consistently about 18.5 Mbps , not all that big a bandwidth. I've recorded a STO HD stream, and it plays back just fine, and the STO HD stream is about 19.5 Mbps. So it's not a bandwidth thing, for sure. Puzzling, but it is likely related to equipment at the transmission end, I suspect. :(

Puzzling for sure. I too have seen this - although it was on SW version 3.1 or 3.2 I do not see it on this version at all. I have made several recordings of both SD and HD programs, various satellites, and even on audio only feeds. I cannot duplicate it today. Will keep trying to see what shows up.

the feed is only the Montana Grizzlies football games. So the next time will be next Saturday :)

Thats the only feed I've seen it do that on. And yesterday I tried other feeds with higher symbol rates (29270, 30000) and they record just fine. Like I say the Montana State Bobcasts game (Max Media ABC Montana) has the same symbol rate (13000) and it records great with no issues

Just one question.... Could the recording trouble happen because of the uplinker doing something to prevent recording? I don't know so acting stupid here.
thats what I thought too. Maybe because this year they (Montana News Network) are in HD they dont want anyone else to get the feed (to maybe show on other TV stations)?

I never thought of trying it on the azbox...but then again I was recording a 4:2:2 game on that so I couldnt try...maybe next weekend :)

another question...How do you manually add a audio only channel?

I tried for about 10 minutes yesterday to add a audio pid on the Dial Global mux (AMC8). It scans in fine and logs 20 audio streams. The issue is there are about 35 audio PIDs and the one I want wont log. (its like the 28th int he list)

I go into the TP list and select the TP (3973 V 10127).
select PID scan (I think thats what it is..top line in the subbox)
enter the PID info
1208 audio
1201 PCR
video I cant set at 0 (wont let me) and I've tried 8190 and 8191
hit OK and it scans but says "nothing found"

I know this PID works because I have a few receivers that have this one channel logged in

If you dont have access to 139W try the religious mux on 87W
4043 H 3910 and try audio PID 4617, 4972, 5029, 5181 (those are some of the PIDS)

I just scanned this in. However I only logged one channel not 20 under that frequency. The PID was 1101 for the audio and 1201 for the pcr. You say there are 20 channels on that TP? I got Clark Howard and thats it. 33 is the lowest number that can be set apparently. Looks like another thing to look at. We should be able to zero out the pid info when and where needed. The channel that scanned in by the way was labled DG TX Prog. Have a great day!

I just scanned this in. However I only logged one channel not 20 under that frequency. The PID was 1101 for the audio and 1201 for the pcr. You say there are 20 channels on that TP? I got Clark Howard and thats it. 33 is the lowest number that can be set apparently. Looks like another thing to look at. We should be able to zero out the pid info when and where needed. The channel that scanned in by the way was labled DG TX Prog. Have a great day!

hit the audio button (or language...I forget what it says on remote) and you'll see a bunch of audio pids (languages). There are different PIDS for different programming. Scroll down and you'll see it from 1101 to 1118 then 1201 and 1202...but there are more and the Manhattan cant store any more. So you have to add them after. Its 1208 for the Classic Country :)

I just scanned this in. However I only logged one channel not 20 under that frequency. The PID was 1101 for the audio and 1201 for the pcr. You say there are 20 channels on that TP?

yes, one PRG defined and tons of audio PIDs for that PRG. The Manhattan only will write some of those to memory (25 if I remember correctly) and I'd like to see that upped to 60 or 75 so most of those type of audio signals can be written to memory in their entirety and one doesn't have to try to define channels through manual PID or channel editors.

It's one of those things that I believe is a developer thing rather than a limitation of the Ali chip so that's why I believe it's do-able to change a setting in the firmware code.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)