My New Dish Farm

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by iBoston, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Awesome. I will give it a try. That would be terrific. That would make Titanium happy, if i get it working, ill have to buy another C2W-PLL :drunk

Titanium likes this.
  2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. Well, i changed paths for the moment. I took down my 1.2m USAL dish that was on my deck and moved the mount to the storage container, and plopped the 1.2m back on it (with out USALS motor) , and fixed aligned it for 87w. Went from 7db on PBS to 11db on PBS. I was in the middle of wiring it when an electrical storm was approaching, so all i got was 1 RG6 wired up and wired it to the Horizontal line of the multi-switch and got the heck out of there.

Kinda funny - at the moment, I'm getting the horizontal channels off the new 1.2m, and the vertical channels off the 90cm dish still pointed at 87w. - I'm tired of loosing LPB. On the 90cm in the mornings i would get the channel, and as the day passed by, the signal would get weaker and weaker and i would loose it. Not to mention if there was any sign of weather.

I think i am done with USALS. I took the time to re-scan the entire arc for KU and I have a fixed dish at every bird that i am even remotely interested in. The USALS would just have too much play and would allow the dish to shimmy around. I was constantly adjusting it.

At this point, I'm not sure where I am going to point the 90cm

Maybe 113w for Reuters or 99w for radio channels.

4. #63 iBoston, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Update :

I had one 1.2m pointing at 103w/97w.
    I had a 90cm pointing at 87w/95w.

I had previously hooked up a 2nd 1.2m for 87w. So, today, i moved the 90cm that was still pointed at 87w and pointed it at 97w. This yielded me a stronger signal for 97w as before it was a side lobe. And the side lobe that was pointed to 97w was shifted to 95w.

The result is i have stronger signals all around. 87w on dedicated 1.2m.. 97w on dedicated 90cm 103w on dedicated 1.2m and 95w is a side lnbf on my 1.2m. Every channel is rock solid!

IBoston's Satellite Network :

30w - 90cm KU
    87w - 120cm KU
    95w - 120cm side lnbf KU
    97w - 90cm KU
    101w - 8 foot Cband
    103w - 120cm KU
    118w - 90cm side lnbf KU
    121w - 90cm KU
    125w - 90cm side lnbf KU

Ps - I also exchanged my dual GeoSatPro on 103w for a Quad lnbf. I hooked in a 3rd coax line to a spare satellite receiver that will be in a shed. Everything is tested working, and tuned to my favorite radio station which ill be broadcasting FM so i can listen to it anywhere on the farm. Just waiting for my FM transmitter. Will be perfect during the summer when I'm mowing and during the Winter when I'm blowing.

KE4EST, Lee60, Titanium and 1 other person like this.
  5. I am happy camper... I got the FM transmitter.. Hooked it up to the STB and transmit it on FM. I receive it perfectly on the entire farm. I did a bit of a test, and the reach seems to be about 1 mile in every direction except west which you loose 1/2 mile because its over a hill. I wanted to make sure i wasn't broadcasting too far, and i picked a frequency that was unused with a wide berth on both sides of the spectrum. I hate commercials and i hate talking. I just want to hear music! :drunk

Ill take some pictures of the setup. Its in our shed. I need to make an enclosure for it for the winter so it won't get too cold. Ill close it during the winter, and open it up during the summer.

danristheman, TRG, FTA4PA and 2 others like this.
  6. Regarding the FM Transmitter setup :
    I just finished the box and setup a switch so i can turn it on/off.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

danristheman, Cham, TRG and 1 other person like this.
  7. Which radio station do you listen to? I love having WCPE classical on AMC-1 @ 103° West. I also rebroadcast on a FM transmitter so I can listen on a portable radio outside by the BBQ grill.

iBoston likes this.
  8. Being this isn't the appropriate thread, i didn't want to specify, but its a classical channel too. :biggrin

9. What antenna are you using for your Fm transmitter? Just curious, I built a j-pole for around 100MHz but not on the air yet. It should be about 3dB gain, with about 1.5dB feedline/connector loss. Hope to have it up about 30ft. Helpful info to know what antenna gain/power/height required for 3-4 mile approximate range.
    Have application for provisional low power license, waiting for some info from the spectrum managment people up here... (May not need a license)

10. #69 iBoston, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

Its a dinky telescope antenna that is about 3 feet long. It extends a straight shot out behind the unit sitting almost horizontal tucked under the rafters. I know i could adjust it for better range, BUT, i don't want any better range than what i already got. My corner property line is 3/4 mile away. I can receive the signal there perfectly, so all is great!

Cham likes this.
  11. Interesting! So your antenna is hidden inside at or below grade and you still get that kind of range? What power is your transmitter (dBm/watts)? Also if your antenna is located close to metal objects you might get power reflection (SWR) back to your transmitter finals... not a good thing for longevity, unless it's very low power.

12. I moved my Cband from 101w to 91w.

I did some more tinkering and I have successfully added a second LNBF to my Cband Dish. I also moved 95w from my 103w antenna to my 87w antenna.

I have my eye on another 8' Cband dish. (shhhh, :eek: don't tell the wife)

Dish Farm.jpg

Titanium and Jason S like this.
  13. Just tell her she is getting older and needs glasses make her see double. Hehe.