New Software testers (Beta intentional or not), speak up and be counted

Indy said:
Let us look at the software usability objectively.

look #1

If the software is good enough or should I say tested and reliable enough for ALL THE NEW CUSTOMERS with new installs, then why is the software not good enough for the existing customers with older STB's?

look #2

If the new software is SO BUGGY why is it being installed on ALL THE NEW STB's being installed for new customers? Are they unwitting Beta testers of a suspect software that is not reliable enough for the mases or does their STB have a super gene that makes it immune to the bug?

Indy,
apparently you are a hard core believer in conspiracy theory. Nothing we say here can change this.

andrzej said:
Indy,
apparently you are a hard core believer in conspiracy theory. Nothing we say here can change this.

Well, not entirely true. I called Voom tech support and got what I believe is a true answer. The tech CSR told me if you have a 550 receiver then you will be getting the download. I asked if he has had any customers that he can say got the download by satellite and he said yes because he is starting to get calls concerning the new software.. He also stated that the downloads were going out in batches according to your area code of the account phone number. When I asked if the download could be forced he said no.

So with this new information in mind, maybe 2 weeks away? ;)

I applaud Sean for taking a stand on this forum – i've seen many good software developer programs shut down because of anonymous forum postings from beta testers.

Software beta testers who break confidentially rules slow down development and cause marketing issues. Your need to “know” three weeks before something is released causes huge issues behind the scene including the waste of CSR time answering questions about software which hasn’t been released. CSR's and tech support folks have enough problems :)

relax - enjoy what you have - its only TV

Indy said:
If the software is good enough or should I say tested and reliable enough for ALL THE NEW CUSTOMERS with new installs, then why is the software not good enough for the existing customers with older STB's?

If the new software is SO BUGGY why is it being installed on ALL THE NEW STB's being installed for new customers? Are they unwitting Beta testers of a suspect software that is not reliable enough for the mases or does their STB have a super gene that makes it immune to the bug?
Sean has already answered this question in another thread:
Sean Mota said:
...As far as I know, new customers are getting the 6.0 version because it has the installation wizard which makes it easier for the installers and the customers. It also has the scanning feature which makes it a lot easier to deal with OTA local channels and this minimizes the number of new customers that have to deal with mapping issues. The only reason the installation wizard was installed in new boxes (for new customers and those getting new boxes) was because of a production deadline;

As to the rest of us, we are waiting for the update which will be a later version than 6.0. 6.0 version is very stable and works well but it does not addresses all the issues in 5.68 and there new issues that arose on 6.0.

It is very reasonable to assume that 6.00 is no worse than 5.68 so, shipping 5.68 on new boxes doesn't make much sense, however 6.00 may not be good enough to justify the troubles of upgrading thousands of customers, especially if a better version is almost ready.

Indy said:
Well, not entirely true. I called Voom tech support and got what I believe is a true answer. The tech CSR told me if you have a 550 receiver then you will be getting the download. I asked if he has had any customers that he can say got the download by satellite and he said yes because he is starting to get calls concerning the new software.. He also stated that the downloads were going out in batches according to your area code of the account phone number. When I asked if the download could be forced he said no.
You see, even the CSR doesn't share your theory! ;)
Since everyone has the DSR550 receiver (VOOM only uses DSR550 and nothing else!) everyone will be getting the download! Eventually...

Sean, I appreciate your editorial license here on YOUR forum, but when you completely change a title of my thread to suite your own needs then that crosses the line. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23019 That my Friend is not editorial license! That is complete censorship! Have fun disseminating miss information by completely changing the context and content of the original threads. Then " I edited and changed some posts to make this more sane"? Who gave you the right to change a historical record to fit your own point of view? You have undermined the validity of your own reputation by doing this. And of course I do not expect this post to be seen by anyone after you stumble across it! Have fun mine Furor! :shocked :shocked :shocked

The people who frequent/visit this forum are the size of a Gnat's ass in respect to the total number of Voom subs, so why is it not reasonable that somebody somewhere is getting the download? I do find it highly unlikely that with the cross section of subs we have on this forum that not a single one of us has gotten the download from the sat.

I also find it strange that they would put the new software in stb's for new subs. What's up with that? If I was in charge of the software distribution, I'd want to hit my oldest subs first since they are aware of the growing pains/quirks of the Voom stb. A new sub is just going to get pissed off and cancel his service.

Indy said:
Sean, I appreciate your editorial license here on YOUR forum, but when you completely change a title of my thread to suite your own needs then that crosses the line. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23019

Don't know what you are talking about I did not change the title of your thread. If someone did, it was not me. That goes as far as me editing your title. I don't dispute that it was not changed. Another moderator edited your title (I am not the only here that has that power. Btw, this is not my forum) and I respect their opinion for doing so. Take it up with them.

Indy said:
That my Friend is not editorial license! That is complete censorship! Have fun disseminating miss information by completely changing the context and content of the original threads. Then " I edited and changed some posts to make this more sane"? Who gave you the right to change a historical record to fit your own point of view? You have undermined the validity of your own reputation by doing this. And of course I do not expect this post to be seen by anyone after you stumble across it! Have fun mine Furor! :shocked :shocked :shocked

Indy, the only post on that thread that I meant to delete was the "troll" comment because it added nothing to the discussion. The posts on that thread has remained intact as far as I know. I even forgot to delete that post that has the "troll" comment. Isn't that funny? :) I did do something and it was close it because it added nothing useful.

Sean Mota said:
Don't know what you are talking about I did not change the title of your thread. If someone did, it was not me. That goes as far as me editing your title. I don't dispute that it was not changed. Another moderator edited your title (I am not the only here that has that power. Btw, this is not my forum) and I respect their opinion for doing so. Take it up with them.

Indy, the only post on that thread that I meant to delete was the "troll" comment because it added nothing to the discussion. The posts on that thread has remained intact as far as I know. I even forgot to delete that post that has the "troll" comment. Isn't that funny? :) I did do something and it was close it because it added nothing useful.

Sean, I think I did "take it up" with the Powers to be. Does it not say Administrator/Supporter under your name? Let's play pass the buck here. See Ya!

Ilya said:
It is very reasonable to assume that 6.00 is no worse than 5.68 so, shipping 5.68 on new boxes doesn't make much sense, however 6.00 may not be good enough to justify the troubles of upgrading thousands of customers, especially if a better version is almost ready.
Ridiculous. SO now we are waiting another month on 6.01? Is that what you are saying? Or is this just more wild speculation?

Indy said:
Sean, I think I did "take it up" with the Powers to be. Does it not say Administrator/Supporter under your name? Let's play pass the buck here. See Ya!

Indy,

you acussed me of something, right? I defended myself and told you I did not do it, right? In your eyes, you don't say "excuse" me Sean I was wrong. Just "Sean you are passing the buck". Give me a damn break, man. I answered your allegations. What else you want me to do? Take moderators and whip them as well for editing your title. I give moderators freedom to do everything on their power because they have demonstrated to be objective and very knowledgeable. Nobody here is a slave to anybody. We are here because we all like to talk about HD on VOOM.

Sean Mota said:
Indy,

you acussed me of something, right? I defended myself and told you I did not do it, right? In your eyes, you don't say "excuse" me Sean I was wrong. Just "Sean you are passing the buck". Give me a damn break, man. I answered your allegations. What else you want me to do? Take moderators and whip them as well for editing your title. I give moderators freedom to do everything on their power because they have demonstrated to be objective and very knowledgeable. Nobody here is a slave to anybody. We are here because we all like to talk about HD on VOOM.

Sean, I'm sorry. You are right and I am wrong. I won't make excuses, please accept my apology. You were the closest thing to a human being to lash out at. I am having A BAD DAY! No one understands us crabby people! :eek:

Friends? :)

Indy said:
Sean, I'm sorry. You are right and I am wrong. I won't make excuses, please accept my apology. You were the closest thing to a human being to lash out at. I am having A BAD DAY! No one understands us crabby people! :eek:

Friends? :)

No problem. We all have those type of days. Keep the spirit up. :)

vurbano said:
SO now we are waiting another month on 6.01? Is that what you are saying? Or is this just more wild speculation?
I think we are... Don't you think this what we are doing for a good part of this month? Perhaps not a month, but just 2 weeks :yes
And yes, this is just a wild speculation on my part. I don't know the realese date, and I suspect Wilt doesn't know it either... ;)

Seriously, look at the results of the recent poll: not enough data for statistics, but out of 8 people with version 6.00, four had their STBs completely dead after the Monday's outage! Makes you wonder...

Ilya said:
I think we are... Don't you think this what we are doing for a good part of this month? Perhaps not a month, but just 2 weeks :yes
And yes, this is just a wild speculation on my part. I don't know the realese date, and I suspect Wilt doesn't know it either... ;)

Seriously, look at the results of the recent poll: not enough data for statistics, but out of 8 people with version 6.00, four had their STBs completely dead after the Monday's outage! Makes you wonder...
From past experience I am sure no one knows any release date.

Indy said:
I did not limit this or restrict this inquiry to Beta testers. ANYONE who has received the "New" software from a download from the satellite to a Voom STB.... In hindsight I should not have put "Beta" in the thread title.

Incidentally I edited the title of this thread inserting "(Beta intentional or not)" because you effectively asked for it, and in the subsequent post you said thank you for changing the title.

Is this all clear now?

Tim

rudolpht said:
Incidentally I edited the title of this thread inserting "(Beta intentional or not)" because you effectively asked for it, and in the subsequent post you said thank you for changing the title.

Is this all clear now?

Tim

Always has been clear to me Tim. It is the changing of my other thread title that T'd me off. Your handy work? http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23019 :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)