New Software Update Tonight! (Version 00.05.68)

if its the download screen it has been on for over an hour!! On the phone right now with CSR

CSR can't fix!!! Service call has been made for Tuesday!!! Voom is outta here!!!

mvitoff said:
CSR can't fix!!! Service call has been made for Tuesday!!! Voom is outta here!!!

Don't suppose it was raining last night in your area?!?

Fact is, that it always seems that there are victims when upgrades are sent out over Sat whether it's V*, D* or E*.

Wilt said the software was coming at late as 4:45am est, but would take 30-40 minutes to download. Everytime you interrupted with reset etc, you probably started the whole process over again.

If you (or the weather) interrupted the software download so it could not be completed, then you may be SOL for the next 18 hours -- when the download is offered again.

It would be pretty stupid, imo, to leave VOOM because of its past problems, now that they've got them fixed.

Is the download screen a bunch of numbers on a grey screen? Does this mean I can't get a picture while this is occurring? I am up at this yime everyday. I rebooted the box because I thought it was just screwed up again. I've only had it 6 days and have had numerous problems with losing the picture and guide.
You have interrupted the software update.

Wilt said the software was coming at late as 4:45am est, but would take 30-40 minutes to download and install.

If you unplugged or reset the box during the download and install, it's possible that your box is hosed until the next software update tonight. I only got to play with it a little this morning, but the software appears to fix the VOOM and info lockups.

My channels are all locked by parental controls. I can unlock them one at a time, but when I tune to another channel, then come back it is locked again. I have the 5.68 update according to the status screen. I've tried going to the parental controls menu to unlock but it does not help. Anybody else having this problem?
If your parental control setup is bugged, do a master reset.

Go the system configuration menu and press 988. Then perform a factory reset. More detailed instructions here.

When I turned on my box this AM, blue bars on top and bottom appear and the following screen appears:

0-03-9-52938 (clock counting up)
0000000c-00000000-0000005c-00000000
0000055c-00000000-00000208-00000000
00000208 ffe ff8 3037
1)4224 1fff 3 92 4560
2) 1090 22.0 5/6 2.30
3) 0 0 00 0/0
4) 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

I AM TOTALLY FUBAR'D. On hold with Voom tech, tried pushing power buttom for reset, get same screen. Tried unplugging for a few minuntes, upon reboot, get same screen. Green antenna light is on STB and blinking clock lights are there as well.

When I turned on my box this AM, blue bars on top and bottom appear and the following screen appears:

0-03-9-52938 (clock counting up)
0000000c-00000000-0000005c-00000000
0000055c-00000000-00000208-00000000
00000208 ffe ff8 3037
1)4224 1fff 3 92 4560
2) 1090 22.0 5/6 2.30
3) 0 0 00 0/0
4) 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

I AM TOTALLY FUBAR'D. On hold with Voom tech, tried pushing power buttom for reset, get same screen. Tried unplugging for a few minuntes, upon reboot, get same screen. Green antenna light is on STB and blinking clock lights are there as well.

Everyone got this at one point this morning. This means you are in the middle of the software update. It's supposed to take 30-40 minutes. For some it has apparently taken an hour. Do not reset the box.

If all the software is downloaded, you will probably have to wait another 40+ minutes every time you interrupt the update process -- as the install starts over. If you performed a hard reset while it was downloading / installing, you may have wrecked your box until the software update is offered again tonight.

For reference, a blinking ":" clock light means a software update is in progress. Don't turn your box on--and certainly don't perform a reset--until the lights stops flashing for at least a minute or two.

how the F* am i supposed to know that? It's 9:00 am over here, why not start these at 2:00 am, and then i wouldn't have a problem. otp with voom, 28 minute hold time

digideal,

The update was supposed to stop at 6:45am eastern. Apparently it kept downloading for some people. Maybe Voom messed up on the timezone for the update time.

Just turn your box off and wait for 60-90 minutes. Run some errands or something. If the problem persists after an hour with no interruptions, it's probably because the software was not completely downloaded, and/or was corrupted because of the reset. In that case, it won't be fixed until the software download tonight. Think of it as pulling the plug on your PC right in middle of a Windows install...

Voom technical support is probably going to be of zero help, because many don't even know about the update yet. Normally, VOOM would only issue updates once every six weeks or so, but this update was an emergency measure to fix the lockups and blackouts people were having since the last software update. In my limited experience with the new software, it appears to do exactly that -- it fixes the lockups.

Told me the download would restart, and it looks like it is, i am waiting until it completes, or 45 minutes, whichever comes first. so far we are at minute 10 of d/l

V* tech received a memo explaining the software update, probably what Wilt sent out last night.

Woke up this morning and the screen was just blue.

No buttons on the remote responded. No lights other than the satellite green light were on.

Did a hold the power button down reset. Upon waking up from reset the box went into the hexidecimal digits display that someone above me just posted and the satellite light is on and the orange clock light is flashing.

I guess I will just leave it in this state and hope the SW upgrade suceeds by the time I come back home. :-(

Carlos

The Stone Man said:
Updated to 5.68. My STB was on all night and it took the download and remained set to 1080i resolution. I installed a phone line last weekend, using an RCA wireless phone jack, and did a successful reportback a couple of days ago. Not sure if that made any difference.

What does the reportback function do?

AHHH! My VOOM box is screwed since the new update. All my premium movie channels are blacking out every few seconds! The VOOM exclusive channels seem to be fine. Just tried a reboot, and it's still there! BTW I am still using components. This is odd that it's only on some channels. My signals are still Quality 97, power 76. I don't like this new update! :(

If it was coming at 4:45am it should have been completed by 7am when I first tried tuning in. And if I reset then again the download should have taken 20-25 minutes according to the CSR. I left the screen on for hours and hours and still nothing. Voom said they set up a service call but what can they do? They know less about this stuff than I do.

GeneWildershair said:
AHHH! My VOOM box is screwed since the new update. All my premium movie channels are blacking out every few seconds! The VOOM exclusive channels seem to be fine. Just tried a reboot, and it's still there! BTW I am still using components. This is odd that it's only on some channels. My signals are still Quality 97, power 76. I don't like this new update! :(

Mine is doing the same thing. I have black screens every 30 seconds on movie channels. They are unwatchable right now. Don't tell me the new software is worse than the old.

Lucky said:
Mine is doing the same thing. I have black screens every 30 seconds on movie channels. They are unwatchable right now. Don't tell me the new software is worse than the old.

it is much worse!!! every HD movie channel, besides the 21 exclusive channels is screwed beyond belief, every 5 to 10 seconds it goes out for me! :eek:

Yuck! I didn't check my movie channels this morning, only watched HDNet News....if I come home and see this later, the word pissed will be an understatement.

Who do they have as engineers that are verifying these updates? Moe, Larry and Curly or what?!?!

seandudley said:
What does the reportback function do?
It is supposed to dial out to VOOM and report some STB-specific information.
I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect it won't work since the call-back phone number seems to be missing on the configuration screen. (It was there in version 5.08, but now it is gone in both 5.5c and 5.68).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)