New Software Update Tonight! (Version 00.05.68)

truq,

You should be fine. According to Wilt, no more software updates will be forced til 4:45am est tomorrow. The problem these people appear to be having is that they started the download, but for some reason or another, the upgrade process was interrupted at the wrong time, so now their box is stuck in a revolving door, trying to get software that is no longer available.

Whew thanks guys...So if I plug it in tonight and leave it on standby it should download from 4:45am est until it's done? DO I need to plug the phone line in as well?

Blackouts might be caused by instantaneous signal loss

Here is my theory about black-outs. I think black-outs (and those "snow" screens) are caused by instantaneous loss of signal/synchronization (by signal dropouts). It is possible that the same signal loss happened before, but it was less noticeable because STBs with version 5.08 recovered from such instantaneous signal loss very quickly.

Something was changed in version 5.5c (may be the HDCP addition, or something else), so that STBs now take 2-3 seconds to recover from the signal loss. The same problem happens when we switch the resolution (e.g. by switching between HD and SD channels in native resolution mode).

To solve this problem, VOOM/Moto engineers should look into the resolution change issue (which is easily reproducible) and start by figuring out why does it take so long to switch from one resolution to another and what happens to the signal in the process. Why is the output signal drops? If they can solve this puzzle, I am pretty sure, other black-out issues will be solved too!

And of course they should research the uplink problems too and find out what causes those signal dropouts. They must be having an increased number of dropouts this morning...

truqui said:
So if I plug it in tonight and leave it on standby it should download from 4:45am est until it's done? DO I need to plug the phone line in as well?
No need to connect the phone line, but make sure the satellite signal is strong.

Posted by Wilt at Yahoo group:

Okay, confirmed hit.
It's not code or software. It *is* something at the Voom uplink/origination facility.
The problem is being worked.
Thanks, and sorry for the disturbance,
Wilt

mvitoff said:
Upon waking up this morning I tried to turn on my Voom box to watch some news but nothing happened box would not turn on also tried from power button on box no power. So I did a front panel reset and it went through its normal power cycle but then displayed this on my screen:

0-03090-57632 (timer counting up) 0:00

0000000C-000000000-0000005C-00000000
00000055C-000000000-00000208-00000000
00000208- ffe- 0 3037

1)4224 1fff 3 83 4560
2)1090 22.0 5/62.3
3)00 00 0/0
4)202 0 0 0 0

Also tried unplugging but same problem CSR does not open till 8AM. Also have to blinking orange lights on the box where a clock would display? Is my box going to self-destruct? :)

Oh crap, my box just started doing this too. Am I stuck in the revolving door until tomorrow morning? The weird thing is that it was working this morning (after a crash and unplug/re-boot). It didn't have the software update yet though. I wonder why it just started hapenning this afternoon.

I came home from work expecting the worst. My STB is not displaying any issues.

Well that's strange. I just went back down and checked on the TV and it's working now. And the software update has been downloaded. Huh! I thought I'd have to wait until it got pushed again tonight but somehow itr went through. Yay.

rollerfink said:
Oh crap, my box just started doing this too. Am I stuck in the revolving door until tomorrow morning? The weird thing is that it was working this morning (after a crash and unplug/re-boot). It didn't have the software update yet though. I wonder why it just started hapenning this afternoon.

mvitoff said:
Upon waking up this morning I tried to turn on my Voom box to watch some news but nothing happened box would not turn on also tried from power button on box no power. So I did a front panel reset and it went through its normal power cycle but then displayed this on my screen:

0-03090-57632 (timer counting up) 0:00

0000000C-000000000-0000005C-00000000
00000055C-000000000-00000208-00000000
00000208- ffe- 0 3037

1)4224 1fff 3 83 4560
2)1090 22.0 5/62.3
3)00 00 0/0
4)202 0 0 0 0

Also tried unplugging but same problem CSR does not open till 8AM. Also have to blinking orange lights on the box where a clock would display? Is my box going to self-destruct?

No blackouts, no lockups, and missing channels back

I was having blackouts earlier today, but they cleared up in the late afternoon. Also, my Starz HD channels, 261 and 262, are suddently working too.
No box lockups problems so far today either, even with pretty heavy remote control surfing.

The blackout were being cause by a system problem on their end, it had nothing to do with the code/software update.

I believe they updated during the afternoon too because that is when I had Voom installed. Right after I got it installed, both systems started to download the new software. It looks like I now have the current version.

Funny, i just locked up 10 minutes after having it on after update. flipping through the channel guide and it got stuck again...hit the button for a few seconds and all is good. let's hope it goes better tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts