Newbie needs guidance!

rimichael

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Ok guy's, I have been trying to set my new dish setup for over a month now and have gotten nowhere and need help. Something with my set up is wrong and I just can't figure it out. Let me start with telling you what I have for my setup and my meter. I have a 39" dish with a Ku lnbf o/p 950-2150 Mhz. I have a Technomate TM-2300 DiSEqC Motor Positioner and I have a GTMEDIA 4K FTA Satellite DVB-S2/S2X/T2/C Receiver Android 9.0 Smart TV Box 4:2:2 I also have a Amiko Premium 8X1 DiSeQc Switch, FTA Satellite Dish Multi-Switch LNB LNBF that I believe is version 1.1 . I have a satellite meter I bought to find the sats and its a Digital Satellite Finder Meter DVB-S2/S2X 3.5'' LCD GTMedia V8 Satellite Finder.

Ok now this is my problem. I have tried to find a sat using and not using the switch. Both ways cannot find anything. I have tried to connect to a wide range of sats using the hand meter and also the receivers sat setup still nothing. I have also noticed there is no red light on the sat motor and it never moves during these try's. I have gone into each sats info setup on both the hand meter and receiver to set up my info but still nothing. I've been humping up and down my roof for about 6 weeks trying to get anything but no go! LOL I'm exhausted at this point and instead of being a stubborn old mule I thought I'd ask you folks for help since you guys have a wealth of info. Any Ideas??? Thank you ahead of time for any/all suggestions!

Say what??? What is the exact model name and such for this lnbf?

What do you have this lnb set to in your receivers settings?
The lnb was part of the dish package so the only info I have on it is what I posted. I have the settings in the receiver set at 950-10700 that's the highest it goes. I run auto searches as well as blind same negative results.

The lnb was part of the dish package so the only info I have on it is what I posted. I have the settings in the receiver set at 950-10700 that's the highest it goes. I run auto searches as well as blind same negative results.
Set your lnbf to one frequency, 10750, and try scanning again.

Perhaps temp run the coax directly from the receiver, to the lnbf on the dish. Bypassing the motor, and switch.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Set your lnbf to one frequency, 10750, and try scanning again.

Perhaps temp run the coax directly from the receiver, to the lnbf on the dish. Bypassing the motor, and switch.
Also, I have a new duel lnbf that is a gt model with an input of 11.7-12.75 ghz that is a universal unit, should I swap it out for the generic single one on there now so that we have more info on it?

Also, I have a new duel lnbf that is a gt model with an input of 11.7-12.75 ghz that is a universal unit, should I swap it out for the generic single one on there now so that we have more info on it?
No, stick with the one you have for now. If you keep making changes, we will know even less than we know now.

Do you actually have voltage reaching the motor/LNB?
I suspect one of his issues, is he's going to the switch FIRST, then the motor, then the lnbf. That receiver might have who knows what for settings and such. So many unknowns, makes it real difficult for even an experienced person that's done it before.

So, as I said, coax directly to lnbf, and set that at 10750. I'd even take the dish OFF the motor, and eliminate that completely for now. ONCE he has a signal from any satellite and we know that's working, then he can add back the rest of it.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I suspect one of his issues, is he's going to the switch FIRST, then the motor, then the lnbf. That receiver might have who knows what for settings and such. So many unknowns, makes it real difficult for even an experienced person that's done it before.

So, as I said, coax directly to lnbf, and set that at 10750. I'd even take the dish OFF the motor, and eliminate that completely for now. ONCE he has a signal from any satellite and we know that's working, then he can add back the rest of it.
Ok switched out everything...the coax brand new and directly to the lnb to reciever...scanned both on receiver and hand held meter...Nothing.

Ok switched out everything...the coax brand new and directly to the lnb to reciever...scanned both on receiver and hand held meter...Nothing.
Did you change the lnbf setting to 10750?

Are you aimed at a satellite? You only need to move the dish in movements as small as a pencil lead!

Check Dishpointer for where you should be aimed, and aim for 97w Galaxy 19. That sat has so many channels, it should be fairly easily for you.

You'll have to turn off any ad-blocker to use this site:

Yes I am pointed in a direction that i should get some signal...can't tell because cant find with meter or receiver. have made gradual changes for over a month. at least a hundred times but no luck. very fustrating. Plus this old man is getting tired going up and down..LOL!

Satellite is not like aiming a TV antenna. You have to be dead on, not in the general direction. Your issue is you are not even on a satellite.

Reactions: primestar31
You are not giving enough info. You need to post a picture of the LNBF. It will either need to be set for 10600 or 10750. Then you need to choose a KNOWN active transponder for the satellite you wish to aim at. Get the dish in the general direction you something like dishpointer.com and then using your meter or receiver with that transponder entered and LO; slowly move the dish, "by hand" east and west and up and down until you hit a signal.

Take the motor and switch out of the equation and mount the dish directly to the pole. You need to get the hang of it before adding a motor. If not you may never find it and get frustrated and give up.

Satellite is not like aiming a TV antenna. You have to be dead on, not in the general direction. Your issue is you are not even on a satellite.
ok then that could be the case but i can not even figure out how to use the meter while i am on the roof to find a signal. I have been using a app on my phone to aim it as close as I can. Does anyone know how to use a gt v8 finder2 to see the sat signal?

ok then that could be the case but i can not even figure out how to use the meter while i am on the roof to find a signal. I have been using a app on my phone to aim it as close as I can. Does anyone know how to use a gt v8 finder2 to see the sat signal?
Why not take the receiver right up on the roof with you, along with a small tv set? Why try to learn a meter AND a receiver at the same time?

I don't doubt you are frustrated, having a FTA dish on a roof, on a USALS motor, with everything brand new and untested, AND you've never done this before? It's enough to drive a sober man to drinking...

IF the dish is still on the motor, take it OFF that, and put the dish directly on the pole. Make the azimuth and elevation settings that Dishpointer tells you. Movement of the dish is the width of a PENCIL LEAD, up/down/left/right, and waiting 30 seconds between each move.

Oh yeah, even a LEAF on a tree that's in the way can block ALL satellite signal.

Post some photos of everything as it is right now, as Mike says above.

Is the pole the dish is on level in all directions? North-South-East-West? If not, it'll never work.

Why not take the receiver right up on the roof with you, along with a small tv set? Why try to learn a meter AND a receiver at the same time?

I don't doubt you are frustrated, having a FTA dish on a roof, on a USALS motor, with everything brand new and untested, AND you've never done this before? It's enough to drive a sober man to drinking...

IF the dish is still on the motor, take it OFF that, and put the dish directly on the pole. Make the azimuth and elevation settings that Dishpointer tells you. Movement of the dish is the width of a PENCIL LEAD, up/down/left/right, and waiting 30 seconds between each move.

Oh yeah, even a LEAF on a tree that's in the way can block ALL satellite signal.

Post some photos of everything as it is right now, as Mike says above.

Is the pole the dish is on level in all directions? North-South-East-West? If not, it'll never work.

LOL! Ok, I will rig a setup to bring with me on the roof. I will do this tomorrow since I'm beat. I'll also take so pics of the setup and equipment. I do have the pole set straight as an arrow via a level. I had to tilt the motor up a bit so the dish view would clear the roofline but that doesn't matter right now since I am not using it right now as per your instructions. Thank you guy's for the help and will update you tomorrow. Thanks again.

Reactions: primestar31